Author Topic: We're promoting Victor Robles??  (Read 5402 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: We're promoting Victor Robles??
« Reply #50: September 10, 2017, 11:22:37 AM »
If you're going to start his MLB clock already, then get him in the lineup. If you're not going to play him, then don't pretty much guarantee he's going to be a super 2 in arbitration by calling him up for a handful of pinch hitting appearances and a start or two. If that's what they do then this one is likely on Rizzo more than the manager. The kid has shown some serious poise his first couple of plate appearances. Might as well throw him into the OF and run with it for a week.

I would love to see an OF of Stevenson, Bautista, and Robles for a game or two, especially after we've clinched and passed the Dodgers.
They do not seem to have much concern about giving their stud guys super 2 status.  Not an issue for Storen, Harper, Rendon, Zimmermann. Worst case handling was Turner, when they brought him up in August/September, sat him, then let him stew in the minors until after the all star break because we had rhe best #8 hitter in baseball at peak performance in May or june.  I'm guessing that Robles will follow the Turner more because he will not be truly ready until 2d half of next year than the super 2 issue.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51: September 10, 2017, 11:25:00 AM »
Robles starting in CF today. Batting 5th.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #52: September 10, 2017, 12:10:16 PM »
Nothing wrong with bringing him up to sit a couple days and then play.

Exactly. But he needs to get at least a week of consistent playing time at some point.

Barring him raking, I still would be surprised if we saw him again before late next year. Nats deep in the outfield and he's so young.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #53: September 10, 2017, 12:10:58 PM »
Robles starting in CF today. Batting 5th.
Taylor has that slot blocked for the next decade. Get to the corner, young Victor

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #54: September 10, 2017, 03:10:54 PM »
Pretty quick

Offline Slateman

« Reply #55: September 10, 2017, 03:11:09 PM »
Taylor has that slot blocked for the next decade. Get to the corner, young Victor

:lmao:

Offline Optics

« Reply #56: September 10, 2017, 04:22:35 PM »
Turner and Robles at the top of the lineup

Need for Speed

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #57: September 10, 2017, 04:26:26 PM »
First hit! 

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #58: September 10, 2017, 05:24:35 PM »

Seriously doubt MAT is playing CF for us until he's 36.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #59: September 10, 2017, 05:45:06 PM »
Seriously doubt MAT is playing CF for us until he's 36.
Curtis Granderson can. You hating on superstar Taylor?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #60: September 10, 2017, 05:50:53 PM »
where does Robles play?  Anywhere he wants.  But seriously, this is like JBJ moving Mookie and Benintendi out of CF. Taylor is not a better player than Robles in two years.  The only question is whether Robles is better next year.  But may the better CF play there. 

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #61: September 10, 2017, 05:55:14 PM »
where does Robles play?  Anywhere he wants.  But seriously, this is like JBJ moving Mookie and Benintendi out of CF. Taylor is not a better player than Robles in two years.  The only question is whether Robles is better next year.  But may the better CF play there.

It’s very, very unlikely that Robles is a 4 win player next year, which is what MAT projects to over a full season. I agree Robles is great, but let’s not get ahead of ourselves. He was in single A this year.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #62: September 10, 2017, 06:10:15 PM »
It’s very, very unlikely that Robles is a 4 win player next year, which is what MAT projects to over a full season. I agree Robles is great, but let’s not get ahead of ourselves. He was in single A this year.
I get it.  I just am very suspect of a guy with a 30% K% and a .330+ BABIP.  I'll buy more rabbits feet if it'll keep him that way.  The thing about Robles is it does not look surprising or flukey.  Taylor has a bit of an Ian Desmond feel to his offense.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #63: September 10, 2017, 06:19:05 PM »
I get it.  I just am very suspect of a guy with a 30% K% and a .330+ BABIP.  I'll buy more rabbits feet if it'll keep him that way.  The thing about Robles is it does not look surprising or flukey.  Taylor has a bit of an Ian Desmond feel to his offense.

But that defense, tho...

Offline imref

« Reply #64: September 10, 2017, 06:21:45 PM »
Still think he makes the post season roster.

Offline Leroy Veritas

« Reply #65: September 10, 2017, 06:37:21 PM »
Are we sure Robles isn't 30? He seems way too poised for a kid. I hope we get a few games of Kendrick-Taylor-Robles in the OF just in case Harper really doesn't make it back.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #66: September 11, 2017, 11:34:07 PM »
Now that we've clinched, he should start most days. Need to know what we have before the post season

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #67: September 12, 2017, 08:17:38 AM »
I'm also not sold on MAT being the superstar or our starting CF for the whole 2018 season. Yes this has been a break out year but is it sustainable. I posted on this thread that I wasn't sure that MAT would return to form after his return from the DL. I was wrong and I hope he is a contributor next year and beyond so we don't have to seek out a FA OF in the off season.  Robles can replace Harper if he leaves after 2018.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #68: September 12, 2017, 09:17:07 AM »
Oh, Taylor has earned a shot at CF next year if he's not traded.  Next year, he can get by with any level of offense short of a disaster given the hitters around him.  That said, I'm still not going to cavalierly rid myself of plan Bs and Cs, and I'm not comfortable yet with an OF of Eaton, Robles, and Taylor in 2019.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #69: September 12, 2017, 09:55:21 AM »
Oh, Taylor has earned a shot at CF next year if he's not traded.  Next year, he can get by with any level of offense short of a disaster given the hitters around him.  That said, I'm still not going to cavalierly rid myself of plan Bs and Cs, and I'm not comfortable yet with an OF of Eaton, Robles, and Taylor in 2019.
My comfort level is probably the same as yours. I still wouldn't mind getting a FA outfielder this off season with a # 5 starting pitcher. At some point EJax bad starts will surpass his good starts if that hasn't already happened. Fedde, Turner and whatever else we have on the farm is not an encouraging proposition.

Offline imref

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #71: September 15, 2017, 10:49:49 AM »

Hello MAT. No K's in his first 9 AB's

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #72: September 15, 2017, 11:35:06 AM »
Hello MAT. No K's in his first 9 AB's

When they asked Roark in the post game interview what he thought of Robles, the first thing he said was something about him putting the ball in play.

"He's good," said starter Tanner Roark, who picked up the win on Thursday. "He doesn't strike out a lot. He puts the bat on the ball. He puts pressure on the defense whenever he hits a ground ball because he's fast. He's lightning-fast. He's been big for us so far."

Offline imref

« Reply #73: September 15, 2017, 12:12:07 PM »
When they asked Roark in the post game interview what he thought of Robles, the first thing he said was something about him putting the ball in play.

"He's good," said starter Tanner Roark, who picked up the win on Thursday. "He doesn't strike out a lot. He puts the bat on the ball. He puts pressure on the defense whenever he hits a ground ball because he's fast. He's lightning-fast. He's been big for us so far."

If Harper isn't ready to go by the NLDS I wouldn't be surprised to see our OF consist of a Lind/Werth platoon in LF, with Taylor in CF and Robles in RF.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #74: September 15, 2017, 12:30:43 PM »
If Harper isn't ready to go by the NLDS I wouldn't be surprised to see our OF consist of a Lind/Werth platoon in LF, with Taylor in CF and Robles in RF.

Can't forget about Howie, though.