Author Topic: Out of Town Ballparks  (Read 22029 times)

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Re: Out of Town Ballparks
« Reply #25: March 11, 2018, 12:35:33 AM »
My wife has green lighted a trip for Opening Day in Cincinnati. Can anyone who has been to GABP give me advice on where to sit?

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #26: March 11, 2018, 10:08:37 AM »
My wife has green lighted a trip for Opening Day in Cincinnati. Can anyone who has been to GABP give me advice on where to sit?

It's always better for me to sit as close to home plate as possible but to each his or her own.  Just remember that the sun is behind first base rather than third base as it is in Nats Park.  So I try and avoid the third base side in day games and also evening games during the summer. Also, we are near the end of the time zone here so the sun sets later; for instance sunset tonight is 7:41 PM.  Who knows what the weather will be in late March.  It's been cold and rainy and icy the last two weeks.

I had a chance to purchase tickets on line as I was selected in a "lottery"; however the seats were way at the top (500 level) and as part of the deal I would have had to buy a similar number of tickets for another game at full price.  Usually you can get tickets here during the season cheap on the secondary market. So I didn't purchase. If I can break away I might try and snag a seat for opening day as we get closer.  Standing room are currently about $60 on StubHub.

Most of the games I have been to at GABP were not that crowded.  Opening day will be a little different.   Unfortunately the opening day parade this year has been moved to the following Monday.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #27: March 11, 2018, 10:12:09 AM »
We sat in the Scout Alley Seats, which were definitely nice but not worth breaking the bank over. 

Seats along the 1B side will get more shade than the 3B side. Back half of 113-118 or so would be my pick.

The Hilton Cincinnati is a really remarkable hotel. It’s probably one of the two or three most elegant Hilton’s in the US. Excellent service. Easy walk to the ballpark and a good choice if you want to stay in town, or stay across the river in Covington and take the baseball boat to the game.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #28: March 11, 2018, 10:20:20 AM »
...or stay across the river in Covington and take the baseball boat to the game.

Or take the Trolley for $1.00...it lets you off a block or so away from the Park.

I sat in Section 4 behind home plate.  The food was better than the Delta Club, and the seats were a lot less expensive.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #29: March 11, 2018, 10:37:31 AM »
You can also walk across the bridges from Newport or Covington.  There is a pedestrian only bridge in Newport. There is also Newport on the Levee which is basically a mall with restaurants and a movie theatre and the Aquarium if you are into that.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #30: March 11, 2018, 10:40:55 AM »
We sat in the Scout Alley Seats, which were definitely nice but not worth breaking the bank over. 

Seats along the 1B side will get more shade than the 3B side. Back half of 113-118 or so would be my pick.

The Hilton Cincinnati is a really remarkable hotel. It’s probably one of the two or three most elegant Hilton’s in the US. Excellent service. Easy walk to the ballpark and a good choice if you want to stay in town, or stay across the river in Covington and take the baseball boat to the game.
I've sat in the Scout seats. Those are right in back of the Scout Box. Scout Box are going for the $300s on StubHub. Scout seats for upper $200s. I have never tried the all you can eat Club level seats.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #31: March 11, 2018, 10:44:33 AM »
I have never tried the all you can eat Club level seats.

The prawns, prime rib, and all-you-can-drink beers made it worth the price of admission.  It was terrific...

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #32: March 11, 2018, 10:45:49 AM »
The prawns, prime rib, and all-you-can-drink beers made it worth the price of admission.  It was terrific...
I will have to try that one time.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33: March 11, 2018, 11:54:08 AM »
You can also walk across the bridges from Newport or Covington.  There is a pedestrian only bridge in Newport. There is also Newport on the Levee which is basically a mall with restaurants and a movie theatre and the Aquarium if you are into that.

I try to stay in Starwood hotels. The Choice is the Aloft across the River in Newport on the Levee or the Westin on 5th St. Is it feasible to walk to the stadium from there? I’m leaning Newport because it will make getting to the airport Friday morning and it’s slightly cheaper.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #34: March 11, 2018, 12:01:12 PM »
I try to stay in Starwood hotels. The Choice is the Aloft across the River in Newport on the Levee or the Westin on 5th St. Is it feasible to walk to the stadium from there? I’m leaning Newport because it will make getting to the airport Friday morning and it’s slightly cheaper.

Doable from the Aloft...about a mile over the Taylor Southgate Bridge...half as far from the Weston on the Ohio side...

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #35: March 11, 2018, 12:08:44 PM »
Yes, there are two bridges you can walk across from Newport.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36: March 29, 2018, 10:20:48 PM »
I’m going to be in San Francisco next week. I’m going to see the Dodgers play the Giants. Any suggestions? I like to sit in nice seats when I do a one time visit. Any other things I need to know?

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #37: March 29, 2018, 11:21:27 PM »
I’m going to be in San Francisco next week. I’m going to see the Dodgers play the Giants. Any suggestions? I like to sit in nice seats when I do a one time visit. Any other things I need to know?

Dress warm, eat garlic fries at the park. Third-base side views are wonderful. Don’t wear dodgers garb.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #38: March 29, 2018, 11:32:08 PM »

The Lexus seats are good for a one-time experience. This is the former photo pit. You’re basically just above eye level with the field when you’re seated. It makes for crappy viewing of outfield action but amazing views of the infield and great photo ops. It is freakin expensive though and it is not inclusive. If there’s a play at the plate, you’ll love it.

Most sections do not have beer vendors due to California liquor laws. If you want someone to bring you beer so you’re not waiting in line, the field club seats have waiter service, although everything is a la carte.

Several of the stands and carts sell a Racer 5 IPA bomber; it’s stupidly expensive but it’s a huge bottle of high octane and tasty, too. Skip the indoor dining arcade and have another vote for garlic fries. And boo Hunter Strickland.

Offline wj73

« Reply #39: March 30, 2018, 07:44:37 AM »
Another vote for the garlic fries. Yummmmmmm.

We usually try to pick up some upper deck seats behind home - the equivalent of the Infield Gallery at Nats Park. From that vantage point you can really appreciate the full beauty of the setting. I’ve been there 3 times and have always found the fans to be friendly to visiting fans.

Enjoy!!  It’s my #2 ballpark, after Pittsburgh.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #40: May 04, 2018, 12:46:01 PM »
Anyone have any advice for Chase Field?  We'll be going to next Friday and Saturday's games. On Friday we're already in Home Plate Box J which seems at least view-wise to be close to the Nats Diamond Club seats, but food/drink are ordered a la carte, so we're not sure if we want to spring for another game in fancy seats.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #41: May 04, 2018, 12:51:03 PM »
Anyone have any advice for Chase Field?  We'll be going to next Friday and Saturday's games. On Friday we're already in Home Plate Box J which seems at least view-wise to be close to the Nats Diamond Club seats, but food/drink are ordered a la carte, so we're not sure if we want to spring for another game in fancy seats.

Just don't sit where this guy did...looks dangerous...

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #42: May 04, 2018, 12:55:28 PM »
Just don't sit where this guy did...looks dangerous...

(Image removed from quote.)

That looks like the Darwin section.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #43: May 04, 2018, 01:08:51 PM »

That looks like the Darwin section.

:spit:

Online imref

« Reply #44: May 04, 2018, 01:25:34 PM »

Haven’t been there in about 15 years but it’s a great park. I always sat in the lower section, 3b side.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #45: May 10, 2018, 06:27:16 AM »
There is a Nats fan group selling tickets for a game at Yankee Stadium.

https://travelnats.com/

Online imref

« Reply #46: May 10, 2018, 07:52:16 AM »
The Diamondbacks have received permission to move ahead with moving the team to Scottsdale.   This is another move that seems crazy given the current ballpark is downtown and fairly new.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #47: May 10, 2018, 09:16:42 AM »
The Diamondbacks have received permission to move ahead with moving the team to Scottsdale.   This is another move that seems crazy given the current ballpark is downtown and fairly new.

We have moved full-blown into the grift economy.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #48: May 10, 2018, 09:50:47 AM »
Scottsdale is the money side of Phoenix (east and slightly north). I think that's closer to Mesa, too. I don't know where the current stadium is, but they need to be careful not to move to far from Sun City because only old people follow baseball now.

Online imref

« Reply #49: May 10, 2018, 09:55:11 AM »
Scottsdale is the money side of Phoenix (east and slightly north). I think that's closer to Mesa, too. I don't know where the current stadium is, but they need to be careful not to move to far from Sun City because only old people follow baseball now.

the current stadium is downtown.  When I had projects in that city I'd always book a hotel a couple of blocks from the park so I could easily walk from the stadium back to my hotel after the game.