Author Topic: Nats Park Playoff Fan Experience  (Read 12066 times)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Re: Nats Park Playoff Fan Experience
« Reply #50: September 06, 2017, 09:16:48 AM »
There were automated cafeterias in the Netherlands decades ago.  They just pay people to stay home and watch speed skating. 

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #51: September 06, 2017, 09:45:28 AM »
There were automated cafeterias in the Netherlands decades ago.  They just pay people to stay home and watch speed skating. 

One of the wonders of the world (when I was a kid) was the food automats in NYC.

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20161218/midtown/automats-horn-hardart-automatic-restaurant-food-dining-eatsa

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #52: September 06, 2017, 12:46:17 PM »
You could pay workers $1/hour and if there's a machine that can do the job, the machine will win. The rate of worker replacement will be faster when the wage is higher but even poverty-line wages won't prevent automation from taking over. Robots work for free. Free always wins.

Robots represent a very high capital cost, and then there is ongoing maintenance. 

Over time the cost will fall regardless there is always a break-even point for any cost benefit analysis that compares labor to robotic cost.  The higher you raise the hourly wage, the more likely that a robotic alternative can be developed that is cost effective. 

From a P&L (Profit and loss) perspective a robotic system is depreciated over its estimated useful life, so the P&L will reflect that period cost (plus maintenance) in lieu of labor charges so it's not reported as free, besides the up-front capital requirement. 

Another aspect - companies awash in cash and or that have large debt capacity are going to be looking hard at automated cost savings since they have that cash available for investment and seek high ROI.   Companies with marginal profitability and weak cash or debt capacity will be very constrained from investing in technology. 

• babble on
« Reply #53: September 06, 2017, 12:52:42 PM »
For repetitive motion with little or no variation, you can't beat a robot.  How much was Espinosa making?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #54: September 06, 2017, 12:54:18 PM »
For repetitive motion with little or no variation, you can't beat a robot.  How much was Espinosa making?

Depends on if you're averaging his comp among offense and defense, or allocating on a more attributive basis.

In the aggregate however, TFM.

Offline Tim Cullen

« Reply #55: September 06, 2017, 01:26:14 PM »
The Nats actually had a discount last year for early birds during the playoffs.  For the first hour after gates opened food and beverages were 20% off. 

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #56: September 06, 2017, 03:45:46 PM »
The Nats actually had a discount last year for early birds during the playoffs.  For the first hour after gates opened food and beverages were 20% off. 

My thought was that that discount wasn't enough to get a significant number of fans there early. Basically meant that Nats Park was less over priced than normal. People looking to save money aren't going for that discount. An NLDS branded giveaway or a potential to win autographed items would be a much bigger draw.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #57: September 06, 2017, 03:47:00 PM »

Espinosa is a bargain compared to Desmond. Ian has a marginally better OPS at a greatly inflated cost.

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #58: September 06, 2017, 04:03:58 PM »
Robots represent a very high capital cost, and then there is ongoing maintenance. 

Over time the cost will fall regardless there is always a break-even point for any cost benefit analysis that compares labor to robotic cost.  The higher you raise the hourly wage, the more likely that a robotic alternative can be developed that is cost effective. 

From a P&L (Profit and loss) perspective a robotic system is depreciated over its estimated useful life, so the P&L will reflect that period cost (plus maintenance) in lieu of labor charges so it's not reported as free, besides the up-front capital requirement. 

Another aspect - companies awash in cash and or that have large debt capacity are going to be looking hard at automated cost savings since they have that cash available for investment and seek high ROI.   Companies with marginal profitability and weak cash or debt capacity will be very constrained from investing in technology.

Also it is undisputed Robots don't file workers comp claims and have yet to discover the power of sexual harassment complaints

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #59: September 06, 2017, 04:04:23 PM »

My thought was that that discount wasn't enough to get a significant number of fans there early. Basically meant that Nats Park was less over priced than normal. People looking to save money aren't going for that discount. An NLDS branded giveaway or a potential to win autographed items would be a much bigger draw.

Early bird/pregame attendance was fairly good on the Saturday (4:30 start or thereabout) but it's always going to be hard to get people down there much before 5 or 5:30 pm on a weekday.
To entice people to leave work early, you need to give them a decent shot at getting whatever the giveaway item might be, which means having a lot of that item. If there's only a few thousand, then people won't bother, figuring the item will all be gone before they can get there. And if you need 25k NLDS hats or whatever, you need to get that order in a few months in advance, which no team will do because they're trash if you don't make the post-season.  MLB isn't going to furnish them because why would they.    If we have another 5:30pm weeknight start (counting Friday as a weeknight since it's a work day for most folks), they need to just focus on crowd/traffic management, with the peak entry being between 4:30 and 5:30. People will leave work a little early to get there and settle in but they won't scoot out at 2:00.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #60: September 06, 2017, 04:54:55 PM »
Also it is undisputed Robots don't file workers comp claims and have yet to discover the power of sexual harassment complaints

Great points. 

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #61: September 06, 2017, 07:05:27 PM »
Early bird/pregame attendance was fairly good on the Saturday (4:30 start or thereabout) but it's always going to be hard to get people down there much before 5 or 5:30 pm on a weekday. To entice people to leave work early, you need to give them a decent shot at getting whatever the giveaway item might be, which means having a lot of that item. If there's only a few thousand, then people won't bother, figuring the item will all be gone before they can get there.
That's why I recommended the "two wave" approach, get a block of 5-10 fans there when the gate opens, whatever they give away they'll make back in concessions. And that leaves 35K to get in the door over the next couple hours. The second giveaway would be for a larger group to get them to show up a half hour or more early. They need to space out arrivals better so they don't have thousands of fans missing the first pitch as they did last year.

And if you need 25k NLDS hats or whatever, you need to get that order in a few months in advance, which no team will do because they're trash if you don't make the post-season.  MLB isn't going to furnish them because why would they.
The Nats are going to make the post-season. They are going to be the home team for the first round of the playoffs.

And even if the result was in question the team would have tens of thousands of shirts and hats available for the night they clinch to cover all the fans who are looking to add a fourth shirt to their NLDS collection. They don't need months.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #62: September 22, 2017, 11:25:33 AM »
That ain't cheap.

• babble on
« Reply #63: September 22, 2017, 11:44:03 AM »
 Nice. 

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #64: September 22, 2017, 01:57:33 PM »
That ain't cheap.

(Image removed from quote.)

This might be the time to park well over by Ft McNair and bicycle over to the park.  Free valet bike parking sounds pretty good.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #65: September 22, 2017, 02:43:13 PM »
This might be the time to park well over by Ft McNair and bicycle over to the park.  Free valet bike parking sounds pretty good.
if they're doing a bike corral for CaBi, you can park at Waterside. 

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #66: September 27, 2017, 02:47:15 PM »
So I know I can’t use my season plan holder card to get into the park because we have to use paper tickets (why I don’t know, maybe it’s an MLB rule). Will there be eCash lines at the concession stands during playoff games? Will eCash work?

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #67: September 27, 2017, 03:00:12 PM »
Allegedly a bunch of cubs fans are trying to get tickets to the NLDS games at Nats Park. Really hope the Brewers knock them off now lol.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #68: September 27, 2017, 03:12:40 PM »
So I know I can’t use my season plan holder card to get into the park because we have to use paper tickets (why I don’t know, maybe it’s an MLB rule). Will there be eCash lines at the concession stands during playoff games? Will eCash work?

Yes, but there won't be any eCash rebates during the postseason.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #69: September 27, 2017, 03:19:54 PM »
Allegedly a bunch of cubs fans are trying to get tickets to the NLDS games at Nats Park. Really hope the Brewers knock them off now lol.

I wish, but it's pretty much a lock that the Cubs win. Magic number is 1. Given how poorly the Nats played against the Brewers recently, that's not a bad thing...

Offline Ray D

« Reply #70: September 27, 2017, 03:21:48 PM »
There are already tons of tickets on StubHub.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #71: September 27, 2017, 03:24:06 PM »
I wish, but it's pretty much a lock that the Cubs win. Magic number is 1.

Who won the season series?  If the Cubs did, then they've already clinched.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #72: September 27, 2017, 03:34:27 PM »
win the freaking games and the fan experience will be fine

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #73: September 27, 2017, 03:51:31 PM »
win the freaking games and the fan experience will be fine

True dat.    I don't get the whole "fan experience" thing.    I've never had a bad day at the Park.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #74: September 27, 2017, 03:52:45 PM »
    I've never had a bad day at the Park.
I've had bad days. But they usually coincide with a loss.