Author Topic: Looney's in Fulton MD  (Read 843 times)

Offline LoveAngelos

Looney's in Fulton MD
« Topic Start: September 05, 2017, 12:36:41 AM »
Lots of Nats fans in Southern Howard County but you would think Peter Angelos owned the place. Don't spend your money there ,go to SteelFire next door or down to the GT in Burtonsville. 

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
Re: Looney's in Fulton MD
« Reply #1: September 05, 2017, 04:35:01 AM »
What behaviors do they exhibit to make you say that ?

Lots of Nats fans in Southern Howard County but you would think Peter Angelos owned the place. Don't spend your money there ,go to SteelFire next door or down to the GT in Burtonsville. 

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #2: September 05, 2017, 06:16:20 AM »
They have 80 tvs and you have to scour them to find the Nats game. Nats are never on the big featured screens on each end of the dinning bar area.

I was there last evening for the first time in 2 years for that reason only because of circumstance. THey had on the CUbs- Pirates game on the large screen and it was a 12-0 game. Myself and my  buddy had to make a stink about it before the Nats game was put on a screen in the center of the small bar where we were sitting and got it only because the Os were over. Like all Balnorons and their media they treat the Nats as if they were as team on the West Coast. They were like this even when one of the young Nats players was living down the road. There are lots of Nats fans in that area,but, they don't need my patronage and they don't get it

As you may surmise it kind of tees me off

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #3: September 05, 2017, 08:25:16 AM »
Probably tees the staff off to be expected to predict what games their random customers will want to watch on a nightly basis too. If you want them to put on the Nats game, just ask nicely when you get there.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #4: September 05, 2017, 08:44:23 AM »
Probably tees the staff off to be expected to predict what games their random customers will want to watch on a nightly basis too. If you want them to put on the Nats game, just ask nicely when you get there.
Saturdays in particular are tough this time of year.  Sports bars make their money off of football season. NFL will pack them in, but you get maybe 2-3 seatings, at predictable intervals.  Colleges, you have games starting from noon to 11 PM, with assorted alumni groups.  There's usually a few tvs available if you have 50+ at a place, but you'd be surprised how much scheduling is involved.  I'm at the point where I do not go to CCSP if I want to watch baseball on a Sunday or Saturday in September or October. 

The whole sports bar concept I think is on the ropes.  With streaming and all the cable packages, you really don't need to watch a game at a bar.  If you want to watch multiple games, that's a bit more reasonable, but I think the concept is past prime. 

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #5: September 05, 2017, 09:14:00 AM »
Yabut the atmosphere...not everyone has a deep fryer and trough urinal in their house
The whole sports bar concept I think is on the ropes.  With streaming and all the cable packages, you really don't need to watch a game at a bar.  If you want to watch multiple games, that's a bit more reasonable, but I think the concept is past prime. 

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #6: September 05, 2017, 09:58:07 AM »

Sort of, but sports bars here in Nashville are still very, very popular. Y'all are geezers and just like to sit on your couches. :old:

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #7: September 05, 2017, 09:59:33 AM »
Y'all are geezers and just like to sit on your couches. :old:

Just as god intended...

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #8: September 05, 2017, 10:19:20 AM »
Sort of, but sports bars here in Nashville are still very, very popular. Y'all are geezers and just like to sit on your couches. :old:
Oh, I go quite a bit to sports bars, but the last thing they sell is the sports on the TVs. Juke box, pool, food, drinks, attractiveness of the staff all come before sports programming. managers don't automatically put on the local team, let alone know what good games are on. 

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #9: September 05, 2017, 12:54:08 PM »
That may work well for you Patti, but my gender doesn't have the same touch or influence

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #10: September 05, 2017, 01:06:26 PM »
:shrug:    I had to google Looney's and Fulton, MD.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #11: September 05, 2017, 01:56:57 PM »
That may work well for you Patti, but my gender doesn't have the same touch or influence

Then buy a beer, tip well and ask again. 

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #12: September 05, 2017, 02:56:47 PM »
:shrug:    I had to google Looney's and Fulton, MD.

West of Laurel; North of Burtonsville. some nice real estate there

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #13: September 05, 2017, 02:58:31 PM »

Yeah but they always have dem Os blaring whenever they are playing. No one needs ask

Offline mitlen

« Reply #14: September 05, 2017, 06:06:18 PM »

West of Laurel; North of Burtonsville. some nice real estate there

I used to work on Guilford RD.    Never knew there was a Fulton.    Of course, a 105 mile round trip on the Temple part of the Beltway negated my desire to explore Howard CO.

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #15: September 06, 2017, 04:08:06 PM »
I used to work on Guilford RD.    Never knew there was a Fulton.    Of course, a 105 mile round trip on the Temple part of the Beltway negated my desire to explore Howard CO.

Until they started building million dollar houses there no one else cared either...well maybe the creatures of the forest

Offline mitlen

« Reply #16: September 06, 2017, 04:49:22 PM »

Until they started building million dollar houses there no one else cared either...well maybe the creatures of the forest

I haven't been up that way in 15 or so years.

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #17: September 07, 2017, 09:35:07 AM »
mitlen , you would not recognize it.

Offline blue911

« Reply #18: September 07, 2017, 12:40:56 PM »
Lombardozzi was from Fulton.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #19: September 07, 2017, 02:14:42 PM »
I feel for Nats fans in Howard County, clearly Baltimore territory. I have a hard enough time here in MoCo.

Yeah but they always have dem Os blaring whenever they are playing. No one needs ask

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #20: September 07, 2017, 02:52:32 PM »
I grew up where the Yankee & Red Sox fans meet.  The bars changed their "favorite" team as one went west or east.  But all places showed both teams whenever possible (such as having more than 1 TV).  It's hard to believe the establishments in Howard county aren't showing both teams.

I feel for Nats fans in Howard County, clearly Baltimore territory. I have a hard enough time here in MoCo.

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #21: September 07, 2017, 03:54:41 PM »
I grew up where the Yankee & Red Sox fans meet.  The bars changed their "favorite" team as one went west or east.  But all places showed both teams whenever possible (such as having more than 1 TV).  It's hard to believe the establishments in Howard county aren't showing both teams.

It's that Balmoron mentality. They treat the Nats as an out of town team and hold up crucifix's to the sight of a curly w. You'd think they were all related to Angelos. The DC media treats Balmer as a home club you have many DC bird brained fans

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #22: September 07, 2017, 03:56:17 PM »
Lombardozzi was from Fulton.

Yes the pride of Atholton HS. He got a call up with the Marlins this year but not sure where he landed after

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #23: September 07, 2017, 05:01:46 PM »
Saturdays in particular are tough this time of year.  Sports bars make their money off of football season. NFL will pack them in, but you get maybe 2-3 seatings, at predictable intervals.  Colleges, you have games starting from noon to 11 PM, with assorted alumni groups.  There's usually a few tvs available if you have 50+ at a place, but you'd be surprised how much scheduling is involved.  I'm at the point where I do not go to CCSP if I want to watch baseball on a Sunday or Saturday in September or October. 

Streaming is nowhere near as easy as it should be, due to various broadcast deal legal barriers. Cord-cutting is becoming really popular, and cord cutters are often forced to go to bars to watch events that can't be streamed.