Author Topic: Lobaton is the worst offensive player I've ever seen...  (Read 1819 times)

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
The Espinosa comment was sarcasm. :lol:

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
The Espinosa comment was sarcasm. :lol:

Anytime he's mentioned on this board   ....

Offline whytev

When Lobo played regularily for the Tampa Bay Rays he had a pretty consistent bat. He needs that repetition thing. I wish he would spell Weiters more often

In the time he has been here up until this year he has been thrust into full time for a decent chunk of every season. Results haven't really changed.

Offline NatsAllThe Way

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/albert-pujols-is-the-worst-player-in-baseball/

Well Pujols has 21 homer and 91 rbis.  I don't know by whose standards he becomes the worst player in the majors, granted he's a DH, but still.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Well Pujols has 21 homer and 91 rbis.  I don't know by whose standards he becomes the worst player in the majors, granted he's a DH, but still.

By the standard of Wins Above replacement. Its a little misleading, because WAR is based on some counting stats and most bad players don't get enough plate appearances to get such a negative WAR. However, his OPS of .664 is essentially tied (Beltran is 0.663) for 12th worst in all of baseball and the only people worse are people who play positions and ostensibly add some value defensively. So Maybe Pujols and Beltran are the two worst players...

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Pujols has an OPS hundreds of points lower than Rendon, Zim, or Murphy and is in a lineup that has scored about a hundred less runs but is tied with Zim on RBIs and is slightly ahead of Rendon and Murphy.

I like to believe while RBIs and RISP are based on something more than chance and I'm not sure whether Pujols this year proves that it is all luck or if he proves it's about upping your game.

Offline Natsinpwc

By the standard of Wins Above replacement. Its a little misleading, because WAR is based on some counting stats and most bad players don't get enough plate appearances to get such a negative WAR. However, his OPS of .664 is essentially tied (Beltran is 0.663) for 12th worst in all of baseball and the only people worse are people who play positions and ostensibly add some value defensively. So Maybe Pujols and Beltran are the two worst players...
Plus he makes lots of money. You can pay someone far less to hit poorly.

Offline NatsAllThe Way

Plus he makes lots of money. You can pay someone far less to hit poorly.

But being paid more doesn't make you a worse player.  He's the worst ROI maybe.  Anyhow I'd rather have Pujols on my roster than Lobaton.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
But being paid more doesn't make you a worse player.  He's the worst ROI maybe.  Anyhow I'd rather have Pujols on my roster than Lobaton.

Can Pujols catch? Otherwise, Lobaton at least gives you defensive value.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/albert-pujols-is-the-worst-player-in-baseball/

Albert Pujols in the five days since 538 called him the "Worst Player in Baseball": .545/.600/.863 with 2 HR, and 12 RBI