Author Topic: Shohei Ohtani  (Read 18085 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Shohei Otani
« Reply #75: November 10, 2017, 08:13:31 PM »
You’re taxed where your income is earned (one of the reasons holding shares in an s Corp can be more trouble than its worth). Most metro areas have agreements so that, while you may pay a commuter tax, you don’t have to pay income tax in multiple states.

the thing is, DC works the opposite.  You work in DC, live in VA, you pay VA income taxes, not DC. 

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #77: November 10, 2017, 09:43:40 PM »
the thing is, DC works the opposite.  You work in DC, live in VA, you pay VA income taxes, not DC.
Yes.  I lived in VA and worked in DC for many years and always paid to VA income tax and nothing to DC. 

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #78: November 12, 2017, 03:38:38 PM »
https://bullpenned.com/ohtanis-npb-predecessors/

TL;DR He projects like Chase Headley

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #79: November 13, 2017, 02:28:16 PM »
Why would he go to an NL team where he would have to play a second position in the field? All the stars in Hollywood and all the ivy on the Wrigley Field fence could not convince me to go to an NL team if I were a P/DH.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #80: November 22, 2017, 08:20:32 AM »
Posted

Mark Feinsand
@Feinsand
Source: Posting agreement is done. Ohtani will be coming to the Majors.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #81: November 22, 2017, 08:25:54 AM »
Crazy. How much money is he giving up? $100 million?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #82: November 22, 2017, 08:29:26 AM »
Is there a reason he couldn’t demand an opt out in any contract he signs?

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #83: November 22, 2017, 08:38:06 AM »
Is there a reason he couldn’t demand an opt out in any contract he signs?

Since he's under 25 and doesn't have 6 years of service in Japan, he is subject to the arbitration timeline. So he can't become a free agent until 2024. Otherwise he could have signed a Tanaka-like contract in 2020. But he didn't want to wait. It's absolutely bonkers to me.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #84: November 22, 2017, 08:43:06 AM »
Since he's under 25 and doesn't have 6 years of service in Japan, he is subject to the arbitration timeline. So he can't become a free agent until 2024. Otherwise he could have signed a Tanaka-like contract in 2020. But he didn't want to wait. It's absolutely bonkers to me.
I suppose he can insist on an MLB contract to at least start his options limit?  Does this mean he gets the small bonus and then MLB minimum for 3 years before 3 rounds of arbitration?

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #85: November 22, 2017, 08:46:12 AM »
Does this mean he gets the small bonus and then MLB minimum for 3 years before 3 rounds of arbitration?

That's exactly what it means, from what I understand. If he waited until after the 2019 season he could be offered whatever contract the market would bear. Insanity.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #86: November 22, 2017, 10:44:04 AM »
So is:

There is a chance, however, that the race for Otani isn’t as wide open as it seems. A big-market team like the Yankees could sign him for lint this summer, and then simply hand him a huge extension just a few months into his rookie year. That would likely spark a fight with the league, but given the kind of singular talent Otani has, it would be a fight worth having.

actually possible?

https://deadspin.com/hell-yeah-here-comes-otani-1820675691

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #87: November 22, 2017, 11:12:44 AM »
nats have 0% chance at this guy

anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional

Online Slateman

« Reply #88: November 22, 2017, 11:37:20 AM »

Would you say that theres .... "zero chance"

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #89: November 22, 2017, 06:20:56 PM »
I live in DC and work in Maryland, but pay DC taxes. It would be the opposite if it were switched. The fact that DC isn’t allowed to tax it’s commuters is a huge sore spot.

Commuters hardly use any services compared to residents.  It's a sore spot because they've run the math and are not coming out ahead.

Offline hotshot

« Reply #90: November 22, 2017, 08:06:36 PM »

Apparently, when asked who he looks up to in MLB, he mentions Ichiro and Darvish. Then .... Bryce Harper. Apparently watches a lot of film of Bryce. Question is, if he's infatuated with Harper, who does that possibly help? Nats, or some other team???

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #91: November 22, 2017, 08:09:17 PM »
Apparently, when asked who he looks up to in MLB, he mentions Ichiro and Darvish. Then .... Bryce Harper. Apparently watches a lot of film of Bryce. Question is, if he's infatuated with Harper, who does that possibly help? Nats, or some other team???
If he's infatuated with Harper, that could lead to some very awkward interactions if he signs with the Nats.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #92: November 22, 2017, 08:55:36 PM »

The Nats of course.  Why would Harper be associated with any of the other 29 teams? 

Maybe you're just being wry.

Online Slateman

« Reply #93: November 22, 2017, 09:16:31 PM »
Considering that Harper isn't going to be a National after next season's NLDS exit, pretty sure that helps 29 other teams.

Offline Expos

« Reply #94: November 23, 2017, 08:28:32 AM »
Considering that Harper isn't going to be a National after next season's NLDS exit, pretty sure that helps 29 other teams.

You know it's quotes like this which make me believe we need to change the culture of this team. If the fans expect us to lose out in the 1st round then I'm sure the players think it as well. After all they are humans too. The pressure must be insane. It's almost expected that if we make the playoffs we will choke.

Werth leaving is a start. I'd be all for trading Zimmerman and Harper as well. 4 years and this core group has got to the playoffs with the exact same results. Bring in fresh players who haven't been mentally defeated for 3 postseasons.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Offline monkeyhit

« Reply #95: November 23, 2017, 11:01:51 AM »
You know it's quotes like this which make me believe we need to change the culture of this team. If the fans expect us to lose out in the 1st round then I'm sure the players think it as well. After all they are humans too. The pressure must be insane. It's almost expected that if we make the playoffs we will choke.

Werth leaving is a start. I'd be all for trading Zimmerman and Harper as well. 4 years and this core group has got to the playoffs with the exact same results. Bring in fresh players who haven't been mentally defeated for 3 postseasons.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

I agree, but to change the culture you will have to change the GM.

Offline natspride

« Reply #96: November 24, 2017, 10:50:02 AM »

So basically you'd like to trade the entire team.

Well at least all of the legit players.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #97: November 28, 2017, 09:26:48 AM »
I have to say, the article quoting Rizzo about trying to sell the Nats on the city and team success despite only having 300k left to spend is one of the most pathetic things I have read in a long time.

Offline hotshot

« Reply #98: November 28, 2017, 10:28:38 AM »
Even if we had max money, I've gotta think he'll be looking for a city with a decent-sized Japanese-American population and culture. Why I think West Coast cities have a big edge. Especially AL teams, Seattle and Anaheim.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #99: November 28, 2017, 10:28:50 AM »
I have to say, the article quoting Rizzo about trying to sell the Nats on the city and team success despite only having 300k left to spend is one of the most pathetic things I have read in a long time.

It's clear that this is not about money for Otani. Otherwise he would wait 2 years and get a 9 figure payday. He also isn't poor. He has made quite a bit of money already from playing in Japan He makes around 2.5 million a year. Also, some of the teams that people think have a good chance at Otani also have this 300K limit (Dodgers, Giants, Padres, Cubs). I still think it's a longshot to sign him, but it isn't going to be about money.