Author Topic: Shohei Ohtani  (Read 18093 times)

Offline Ray D

Re: Shohei Otani
« Reply #50: September 13, 2017, 03:16:53 PM »
Baby seals only?
No you definitely don't want to go whippin' on anyone's favorite baby seal or you'll go blind.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51: September 13, 2017, 03:17:12 PM »
Only way I see it is if the Nats win the World Series and they resign Harper in the offseason. That would make that Nats as interesting as any of those teams.

Offline awbb

« Reply #52: September 14, 2017, 08:36:06 AM »
No you definitely don't want to go whippin' on anyone's favorite baby seal or you'll go blind.

You will, but only temporarily.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #53: September 14, 2017, 10:28:54 AM »
You will, but only temporarily.
Yeah but you have to go trudgin' across the frozen tundra to get your sight back.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54: September 14, 2017, 05:38:28 PM »
He doesn't have a U.S. based agent yet. What if it ends up as Boras?

Offline tzinc

« Reply #55: September 15, 2017, 12:32:58 AM »
don't say the Nats won't pay they pay when there is value

and if he signs with Boras odds go up as well

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #56: September 15, 2017, 02:15:57 PM »
I know the guy is saying he isn't going to care about his contract, but Nats can only offer 300k I believe before hitting penalties(?). Rangers or Yanks can offer over 3 Million without penalties. Odds say he won't be coming here.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #57: November 09, 2017, 09:57:02 AM »
Hired the same agency as Zim.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #58: November 09, 2017, 10:20:25 AM »
I know the guy is saying he isn't going to care about his contract, but Nats can only offer 300k I believe before hitting penalties(?). Rangers or Yanks can offer over 3 Million without penalties. Odds say he won't be coming here.

You take the penalitiew for that talent. The money is irrelevant. He will go where he can be recognized and succeed. That's not here.

Offline hotshot

« Reply #59: November 09, 2017, 12:51:25 PM »
You take the penalitiew for that talent. The money is irrelevant. He will go where he can be recognized and succeed. That's not here.

Unfortunately, DC is not a "destination location" for FAs, and likely never will be. Just doesn't have the glitz, weather, commercial opportunities, etc..

Offline Slateman

« Reply #60: November 09, 2017, 12:54:02 PM »
Unfortunately, DC is not a "destination location" for FAs, and likely never will be. Just doesn't have the glitz, weather, commercial opportunities, etc..
It's a destination location. If you pay them.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #61: November 09, 2017, 12:57:26 PM »
Bryce seems to be doing just fine. DC's one of the world's greatest cities. It can absolutely be a destination. Takes time to build that reputation, though. Weather sucks pretty much everywhere in the middle of the summer, except San Diego and players aren't going there either.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #62: November 09, 2017, 01:30:00 PM »
Otani would have to be borderline retarded to come here next season. I hope his agent sits him down and tells him that he should wait.

Offline hotshot

« Reply #63: November 09, 2017, 04:40:36 PM »
Bryce seems to be doing just fine. DC's one of the world's greatest cities. It can absolutely be a destination. Takes time to build that reputation, though. Weather sucks pretty much everywhere in the middle of the summer, except San Diego and players aren't going there either.

I'd call these the top destinations. Some for tradition (championships + ballparks + fan fervor), some for climate, some for lifestyle ambience, some for taxes, some for commercial opportunities outside baseball.

1. So Cal (Dodgers/Angels/Padres)
2. NYC (Yankees/Mets)               
3. Boston
4. Arizona                                   
5. Chi (Cubs)                       
6. SF
7. Miami

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #64: November 09, 2017, 04:42:57 PM »
Otani would have to be borderline retarded to come here next season. I hope his agent sits him down and tells him that he should wait.

Since his bonus is so limited, is there anything to keep him from negotiating in the right to opt out after this season?

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #65: November 09, 2017, 04:51:42 PM »
I'd call these the top destinations. Some for tradition (championships + ballparks + fan fervor), some for climate, some for lifestyle ambience, some for taxes, some for commercial opportunities outside baseball.

1. So Cal (Dodgers/Angels/Padres)
2. NYC (Yankees/Mets)               
3. Boston
4. Arizona                                   
5. Chi (Cubs)                       
6. SF
7. Miami

There's no reason DC can't be on that list. From a baseball perspective, it's above Arizona and Miami. If it's for tax purposes, it's not uncommon for a player to live someplace other than where they play for the tax benefits. Think Scherzer is one of those. But taxes for pro athletes are obscenely complicated.

But considering how often FAs decide to go to places other than New York, or Southern California, it's reasonable to conclude there are many, many factors that go into how a player makes decisions about where to play.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #66: November 09, 2017, 07:17:00 PM »
There's no reason DC can't be on that list. From a baseball perspective, it's above Arizona and Miami. If it's for tax purposes, it's not uncommon for a player to live someplace other than where they play for the tax benefits. Think Scherzer is one of those. But taxes for pro athletes are obscenely complicated.

But considering how often FAs decide to go to places other than New York, or Southern California, it's reasonable to conclude there are many, many factors that go into how a player makes decisions about where to play.
Ballplayers who live in VA probably can pay VA taxes and not DC like other commuters, I would think.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #67: November 09, 2017, 07:47:53 PM »
Ballplayers who live in VA probably can pay VA taxes and not DC like other commuters, I would think.
I thought it was in the CBA that player were taxed by the city they play in.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #68: November 09, 2017, 08:29:00 PM »
I don't know. I know a few years ago it was an issue with NY and Jeter.  Many players claim to be residents of Florida

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #69: November 09, 2017, 11:48:41 PM »

VA, DC, and MD have a tax agreement https://www.tax.virginia.gov/reciprocity

The cba is an agreement between employees and employers, it has no power to alter state income tax laws

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #70: November 10, 2017, 06:32:27 AM »
Sure, but not here. They're going to want to play somewhere that has a shot at a championship.

That leaves out Balmer for one

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #71: November 10, 2017, 10:42:39 AM »
VA, DC, and MD have a tax agreement https://www.tax.virginia.gov/reciprocity

The cba is an agreement between employees and employers, it has no power to alter state income tax laws

I live in DC and work in Maryland, but pay DC taxes. It would be the opposite if it were switched. The fact that DC isn’t allowed to tax it’s commuters is a huge sore spot.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #72: November 10, 2017, 12:25:03 PM »
Federal law is that your income is taxed where you live. The employer pays payroll and related taxes wherever the business is based. But some cities and states add a “jock tax” where they collect some tax on the money you earn while playing in that state or city. https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/fun-facts/7-crazy-taxes-from-the-us-and-abroad/L503QNBEQ

So no matter where you live, if you earn money playing even 1 game in Cali, Cali takes a cut.

This is kind of like Spain where you pay tax when you do business in Spain even if you’re British. But in Spain if you work outside of Spain, it’s tax free, which is part of the reason why my teammate in Spain is always the first one to volunteer for field assignments.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #73: November 10, 2017, 01:53:58 PM »
I could have sworn I read somewhere that there was some sort of jock tax for visiting sports teams

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #74: November 10, 2017, 04:53:10 PM »
Federal law is that your income is taxed where you live. The employer pays payroll and related taxes wherever the business is based.

You’re taxed where your income is earned (one of the reasons holding shares in an s Corp can be more trouble than its worth). Most metro areas have agreements so that, while you may pay a commuter tax, you don’t have to pay income tax in multiple states.
I could have sworn I read somewhere that there was some sort of jock tax for visiting sports teams

Per game taxes on visiting teams, one good reason not to travel if a player is injured