Author Topic: Shohei Ohtani  (Read 18072 times)

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Shohei Ohtani
« Topic Start: August 31, 2017, 11:59:54 PM »
I’m not familiar with international signing rules, but apparently he is considering waiting another year to come to MLB which would mean the Nats can pay him more. Should the Nats pursue him? Apparently they scouted him today.

https://www.google.com/deadspin.com/shohei-otani-is-pitching-again-and-mlb-is-getting-read-1798683010/amp

Offline GuyFromCO

Re: Shohei Otani
« Reply #1: September 01, 2017, 12:52:05 AM »
I’m not familiar with international signing rules, but apparently he is considering waiting another year to come to MLB which would mean the Nats can pay him more. Should the Nats pursue him? Apparently they scouted him today.

https://www.google.com/deadspin.com/shohei-otani-is-pitching-again-and-mlb-is-getting-read-1798683010/amp

New CBA changed the international rules. Bonus pools were set as of July 2 again. New rules upped the age of whom is eligible to sign a deal subjected to/not subjected to the cap to 25 years old (used to be 23). If Otani decided to come over this offseason, he could only accept a signing bonus of ~6-10M max, which really wouldn't be many teams, since most all have already made some intl signings. Also included are teams that cannot offer a bonus over 300K (Cubs, Dodgers, Padres off the top of my head). Sorry if that's unclear -- very quick. can clarify if it doesn't make sense.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #2: September 01, 2017, 05:53:42 AM »
There is zero chance he comes to DC

Offline SkinsNatFan21RIP

« Reply #3: September 01, 2017, 07:46:35 AM »

Slate has spoken.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4: September 01, 2017, 08:09:47 AM »

If there was zero chance why send a scout. I imagine they nats have a better idea that Slateman.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #5: September 01, 2017, 08:19:09 AM »
If there was zero chance why send a scout. I imagine they nats have a better idea that Slateman.
Rizzo sends scouts all the time. Zero chance the Learners offer enough money to make Otani come to DC.

Z-E-R-O

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #6: September 01, 2017, 08:58:48 AM »
Rizzo sends scouts all the time. Zero chance the Learners offer enough money to make Otani come to DC.

Z-E-R-O

I bet we could sign him for the money we were going to give Royce.  18 years/560,000,000$

Offline Slateman

« Reply #7: September 01, 2017, 09:04:17 AM »
I bet we could sign him for the money we were going to give Royce.  18 years/560,000,000$
lol, if the Learners won't give it to Bryce, they ain't giving it to Otani. No chance lance

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #8: September 01, 2017, 10:00:44 AM »
Max signed a 210 million dollar contract.
Strasburg signed a 175 million dollar contract.
Zimmerman and Werth signed deals over 100 million.

Who knows if the Nats offer enough to get this guy, but to act like this is the Expos and nobody gets paid is dumb.  Very dumb, and could only come from fans that didn't follow the franchise when they were in Montreal. 

Offline Slateman

« Reply #9: September 01, 2017, 10:09:29 AM »
Max signed a 210 million dollar contract.
Strasburg signed a 175 million dollar contract.
Zimmerman and Werth signed deals over 100 million.

Who knows if the Nats offer enough to get this guy, but to act like this is the Expos and nobody gets paid is dumb.  Very dumb, and could only come from fans that didn't follow the franchise when they were in Montreal. 

:lmao:

ZERO

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10: September 01, 2017, 10:31:07 AM »
Maybe Slateman is actually Mike Rizzo since he is so sure about so many things.

« Reply #11: September 01, 2017, 10:33:43 AM »
Maybe Slateman is actually Mike Rizzo since he is so sure about so many things.

No way, he's way smarter than Mike Rizzo.

Offline GuyFromCO

« Reply #12: September 01, 2017, 10:37:39 AM »

Z-E-R-O

I don't recall the Nats sending scouts to Japan for any of the other big names, but I could be wrong.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #13: September 01, 2017, 10:38:34 AM »
I don't recall the Nats sending scouts to Japan for any of the other big names, but I could be wrong.
Stan Kasten really wanted Yu Darvish.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #14: September 01, 2017, 10:50:48 AM »
I will throw a pitch for the Washington Nationals before Otani ever does

« Reply #15: September 01, 2017, 10:52:34 AM »
I will throw a pitch for the Washington Nationals before Otani ever does

What a bold statement.  There are 30 MLB teams he could sign with, so you're pretty safe.  But you have zero clue about the Nats intentions so quit pretending like you do.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #16: September 01, 2017, 10:59:03 AM »
What a bold statement.  There are 30 MLB teams he could sign with, so you're pretty safe.  But you have zero clue about the Nats intentions so quit pretending like you do.
I have 7 years of data on Mike Rizzo and the Learners to establish their likely course of action.

Half the teams in baseball sent scouts. You really think Pittsburgh, Arizona, Cincinittai, and San Diego are going to pony up the money? And do you really think he's going to want to play there? Hell no. He ain't coming here.

Offline Optics

« Reply #17: September 01, 2017, 10:59:48 AM »
Japanese players tend to favor the West Coast or cities with big Japanese markets such as New York(the Japanese love NY, I guess its very Tokyo-esque?). I know Dice K went to Boston but that was just because the offer was absolutely absurd.

DC just isn't a primo location for the Japanese.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #18: September 01, 2017, 11:01:09 AM »
I have 7 years of data on Mike Rizzo and the Learners to establish their likely course of action.

Half the teams in baseball sent scouts. You really think Pittsburgh, Arizona, Cincinittai, and San Diego are going to pony up the money? And do you really think he's going to want to play there? Hell no. He ain't coming here.
Wouldn't shock me at all. These guys have often ended up in places other than the Bronx, Bean Town or Hollywood.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #19: September 01, 2017, 11:03:43 AM »
Wouldn't shock me at all. These guys have often ended up in places other than the Bronx, Bean Town or Hollywood.
Sure, but not here. They're going to want to play somewhere that has a shot at a championship.

« Reply #20: September 01, 2017, 11:07:20 AM »

Again, you really are going out on a limb when we're one of 30 MLB teams he can sign with.  Pretty easy to run your mouth, but you don't know $hit just like the rest of us and can't say "zero chance."

Offline Slateman

« Reply #21: September 01, 2017, 11:11:02 AM »
Again, you really are going out on a limb when we're one of 30 MLB teams he can sign with.  Pretty easy to run your mouth, but you don't know $hit just like the rest of us and can't say "zero chance."
ZERO CHANCE

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #22: September 01, 2017, 11:13:31 AM »

Z-E-R-O
:lmao:

ZERO
ZERO CHANCE
OK, we get it. 

Offline Slateman

« Reply #23: September 01, 2017, 11:15:21 AM »
OK, we get it. 
Do you think we'll sign Shohei Otani?

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #24: September 01, 2017, 01:05:17 PM »
My thoughts exactly.  LA.
Japanese players tend to favor the West Coast or cities with big Japanese markets such as New York(the Japanese love NY, I guess its very Tokyo-esque?). I know Dice K went to Boston but that was just because the offer was absolutely absurd.

DC just isn't a primo location for the Japanese.