Author Topic: political discussion and the ATL thread  (Read 597 times)

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
political discussion and the ATL thread
« Topic Start: June 01, 2018, 08:07:55 PM »
This will not end well...  :mg:

JCA note - I'm leaving this small thread here because it explains our moderating policy regarding political discussion.  See my posts below.  We really do try to confine political discussion to a "politics" subforum in our uncensored section

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
:lol:   I hope they're gentle.
I think I was.  I broke out the post in question into its own thread and moved it to our uncensored / politics section.  We discourage (try to prohibit) posts about politics outside that area. Newer members might not be aware of that. 

Offline mixedmutt

How are you going to delete my post, but leave all the posts talking about Tim Lee and the Cobb County budget?? I guess its clear the moderators here voted for Trump.

edit: don't have access to that.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
How are you going to delete my post, but leave all the posts talking about Tim Lee and the Cobb County budget?? I guess its clear the moderators here voted for Trump.
I think this guy needs immediate clearance into the politics section. He’d be a delight there. (And no, the mods are not Trump fans.)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
How are you going to delete my post, but leave all the posts talking about Tim Lee and the Cobb County budget?? I guess its clear the moderators here voted for Trump. I didn't use any bad language, and was only commenting on a topic that was already brought up by MANY other posters..if you are going to delete any and all political posts, then maybe you shouldn't be so blatantly partisan.

As Vega alluded, your posts aren't "deleted".    They've probably been moved to a section (Uncensored) where such topics are discussed in detail.   I don't go into that area for obvious reasons.

Ask the boss for clearance:

http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=10898.0

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: political discussion and the ATL thread
« Reply #6: June 02, 2018, 02:58:55 PM »

Please post a request in the Red Loft thread for access to the uncensored section.  I feel a bit bad that I've split off a thoughtful point you raised into a part of the forum that you cannot access, but the general rule of no politics in the open portion of the board takes precedence. For general information, the usual approach is to wait some time before granting access to that forum so we get to see a pattern of posts (that is, the member isen't here as a troll or to antagonize).  It's The Chief's call. 

As for leaving posts about the Cobb County budget, most of that discussion looked to be non-partisan.  I don't know the structure of the regional governments down there.  In the DC metro area, some of the counties are technically non-partisan in order to allow federal workers subject to the Hatch Act to participate (that was the historic reason).  The "nights templar / anti-american jerks" angle of the thread I broke this from goes back to various policing of the unwritten rules smugness of guys like McCann when he caught for the Barves, while the anti-american stuff goes back to the time a fireworks display ignited the American flag there.  This thread is basically about points out quirks of ATL fandom, which is why the discussion of closing libraries to fund a new stadium when your old one was only 20 years old was in the thread.  To some extent, your post kicked the discussion into a more partisan-specific angle and a larger point about general politics, which is why I pulled it.  I think it is distinguishable from the rest of the thread.

As for my personal politics, I try to keep it out of my moderating, and I've had folks blast me as unsympathetic to  their point of view from various sides.  I take that as a sign that maybe I'm being pretty fair.

While I expect to close this thread shortly, I'll leave it open if you want to post a response.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
Re: political discussion and the ATL thread
« Reply #7: June 04, 2018, 10:36:10 PM »
Mixed - you need more data, for the mods here are not Trump voters