Author Topic: How did you pick your screen name and avatar?  (Read 817 times)

Online mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: How did you pick your screen name and avatar?
« Reply #25: September 01, 2017, 09:33:20 PM »
My avatar is a cartoon from the Far Side.   

I enjoy that story every time you post it.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #26: September 01, 2017, 10:15:50 PM »
Tomterp is such an inspired handle that it needs no further explanation.

I've used a number of avatars over the years, but have had this Zimm for a few now.  He had hit a walkoff and was bounding towards home plate to meet his mates, and is full of joy.  I thought the face was goofy and he doesn't often show those sorts of emotions.

I think my favorite avatar was one I snipped of the face of the Miller High Life delivery guy:

Loved the commercials, really appreciated the actor- Windell D. Middlebrooks.  Sadly he passed away of a pulmonary embolism in 2015.  Using this avatar for a few years led some to think I too was a bro.    :hysterical:

Minty, who was that poster you got Caps tickets from at Verizon that night?  She was convinced I was black, remember? 

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #27: September 02, 2017, 12:37:48 AM »
Count Walewski was the Foreign Minister of France during the 1850's and 1860's, the reign of Emperor Napoleon III, the nephew of the more famous Napoleon. Count Walewski's mother was a Polish countess, and his father was widely rumored to be Napoleon Bonparte himself. If true, this would make Count Walewski the only surviving child of Napoleon Bonaparte (his legitimate son died in childhood). Count Walewski was surprisingly humble about this. When somebody made an off-hand comment about his father being a great man, he responded with "I never heard anything about my father being tall".

I picked him because I like Second Empire France (and First Empire France, for that matter).

The avatar is simply a drawing of Count Walewski.

Offline awbb

« Reply #29: September 11, 2017, 07:52:34 AM »
awbb stands for "Alan Walsh Bending Bombshell".

Alan Walsh was a soccer player who played for the team I support, Bristol City, in the 80s. He was comfortably the best (and my favourite) player on a bad team for several years, much like Ryan Zimmerman was for the Nats.

Avatar: Alan Walsh's daughter, Kayte, is married to Kelsey Grammer.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #30: September 11, 2017, 03:26:07 PM »
Used my real name on the Nats board back at the end of 2004, then decided to switch to an anonymous name and at the time the MLB boards allowed name changes the same way that WNFF allows thread name changes. So I tried a bunch of bad ones before I hit a good one. Pre-kids I used to spend my weekends drinking on my boat (Power Boater is also a reference to an old Greaseman bit). Born in 69.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #31: September 11, 2017, 04:21:44 PM »
Your current sobriquet is very well received over at BigSoccer :lol: