Author Topic: This day in history  (Read 1627 times)

Offline Natsinpwc

Re: This day in history
« Reply #50: October 25, 2017, 05:29:22 PM »
US invades Grenada in 1982 just days after the Marine baracks explosion in Beirut. Coincidence? I think not.

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/united-states-invades-grenada
We needed the curly W.

Online wj73

« Reply #51: October 26, 2017, 08:38:06 AM »
When I was in Grenada a few years ago I asked some older Grenadians about the invasion, since I never really understood the rationale for that action. Whatever “big picture” reasons Reagan may have privately or announced publicly, the Grenadians with whom I spoke were very grateful for our intervention and felt as if the US saved them from becoming another Venezuela.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #52: December 06, 2017, 09:12:10 AM »
The Halifax explosion occurred 100 years ago today.  While I consider myself broadly read on historical topics, this one somehow eluded me.  Shocking event really - a relatively minor collision between two ships causes a load to shift in the Mont Blanc, which precipitated the resulting disaster.  The Mont Blanc was carrying WW1 munitions, and was topped by a load of highly flammable Benzole.  The Benzole ignited, the crew abandoned ship, and the pilotless ship continued on into the city before crashing against the harbor docks.  A crowd gathered to ooh and ah as the fire raged on board. The ship finally exploded as the fire reached the munitions, probably the largest explosion in human history until Hiroshima (said to be about 20% of that force).

A couple of thousand people were killed, thousands more injured, much of the city was leveled. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halifax_Explosion

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #53: December 06, 2017, 01:56:20 PM »
The Halifax explosion occurred 100 years ago today.  While I consider myself broadly read on historical topics, this one somehow eluded me.  Shocking event really - a relatively minor collision between two ships causes a load to shift in the Mont Blanc, which precipitated the resulting disaster.  The Mont Blanc was carrying WW1 munitions, and was topped by a load of highly flammable Benzole.  The Benzole ignited, the crew abandoned ship, and the pilotless ship continued on into the city before crashing against the harbor docks.  A crowd gathered to ooh and ah as the fire raged on board. The ship finally exploded as the fire reached the munitions, probably the largest explosion in human history until Hiroshima (said to be about 20% of that force).

A couple of thousand people were killed, thousands more injured, much of the city was leveled. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halifax_Explosion
What I knew about it was that Boston was heavily involved in the relief effort, and since that day, the people of Halifax have sent down the City's Christmas tree every year as a tradition of gratitude.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #54: December 06, 2017, 04:13:34 PM »
What I knew about it was that Boston was heavily involved in the relief effort, and since that day, the people of Halifax have sent down the City's Christmas tree every year as a tradition of gratitude.

Apparently they sent a trainload of doctors and nurses up there, a gesture much needed and appreciated.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #55: December 06, 2017, 04:51:05 PM »
There's a whole genre of fiction set in 1917 Halifax.  One ("Burden of Desire" by former PBS News Hour host Robert MacNeil) even manages to incorporate lots of boom-boom into the BOOM.   

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #56: January 05, 2018, 08:06:53 PM »
Pistol Pete Maravich died 30 years ago at age 40.