Author Topic: Best Individual Game Performance in Nats History  (Read 2457 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Don't forget Jordan's no hitter.

Offline imref

Opening Day 2005 was the day baseball arrived in DC.

If spider were a writer, he'd write technical user manuals. :)l

Offline Ray D

Online aspenbubba

I think that was the first game that I thought that DC baseball had finally arrived. I had never seen that kind of excitement at the park before, and it has only been matched by playoff games. And I was there for the Max's 20K game and the Zimmermann no-hitter.
Well, we agree on Stras debut game. I was there and it was freakin' electric!!

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Rendon's 6-6 game

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Redundant.

How is this redundant? You can complete a game and give up runs..

Offline Ray D

The "Complete game"  part is redundant.  A shutout is by definition a complete game.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.

Opening Day 2005 was the day baseball arrived in DC.

Technically, of course. But then it was years of our crowds being outnumbered by opposing fans and tepid turnout and excitement because of bad teams.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Ray D doing his best Welch impersonation.

Offline spidernat

Technically, of course. But then it was years of our crowds being outnumbered by opposing fans and tepid turnout and excitement because of bad teams.

But the atmosphere at that game was incredible. The only other game that has rivaled the excitement of that night was game 5 in 2012.

Offline Baseball is Life

But the atmosphere at that game was incredible. The only other game that has rivaled the excitement of that night was game 5 in 2012.

Sure, the excitement of 2005 first game was unreal and it's a game I will always remember. (The only time I've ever seen grown men cry at a sporting event. Seriously. They were bawling.)

But the game itself didn't match the excitement. I was trying to say Stras's debut was a great mixture of excitement and performance (the point of this whole thread.) But we're splitting hairs. Both games were great.

Offline Baseball is Life

And you can have a shutout without a complete game. Maybe I'm missing something.

Offline imref

the atmosphere was the same at that game as it is at any other game, largely nitrogen.

Offline Ray D

And you can have a shutout without a complete game.

No. You can't.  A pitcher is credited with a shutout only if it's a complete game.   You can have a combined shutout, but neither pitcher gets credited with a shutout.

Offline Ray D

http://m.mlb.com/glossary/standard-stats/shutout
A starting pitcher is credited with a shutout when he pitches the entire game for a team and does not allow the opposition to score. By definition, any pitcher who throws a shutout is also awarded a win. Because he recorded every out for his team and didn't allow a run, his team could only have won.

If a starting pitcher does not allow a run but is removed before the game ends, he is not given credit for a shutout. However, if the ensuing reliever(s) also do not allow a run, the team as a whole is credited with a shutout.

Offline Baseball is Life

No. You can't.  A pitcher is credited with a shutout only if it's a complete game.   You can have a combined shutout, but neither pitcher gets credited with a shutout.

Agree. From a scoring perspective, you can't have a shutout.

Offline spidernat

And you can have a shutout without a complete game. Maybe I'm missing something.

No. You can't.  A pitcher is credited with a shutout only if it's a complete game.   

Agree. From a scoring perspective, you can't have a shutout.

Sounds like BiL is "evolving" on this issue. ;)

Online HalfSmokes

Per official MLB rule 9.18: "No pitcher shall be credited with pitching a shutout unless he pitches the complete game, or unless he enters the game with none out before the opposing team has scored in the first inning, puts out the side without a run scoring and pitches the rest of the game without allowing a run."

I just learned about the second type of shut out and now I really want to see it happen. It's got to be the rarest way to get a stat that's actually spelled out in the rule book

Offline spidernat

I just learned about the second type of shut out and now I really want to see it happen. It's got to be the rarest way to get a stat that's actually spelled out in the rule book

This happened against the Senators in 1917 in a game where Babe Ruth, pitching for the red sox, was ejected after walking the first batter. Ernie Shore entered the game and, after the catcher threw out the runner trying to steal 2B, went on to retire the next 26 batters and was credited with a "combined no-hitter". :shock:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BOS/BOS191706231.shtml

Offline mdnatsfan

Games ranking over this one:
Zimmerman's ninth inning heroics against yankees fathers day 06
JZim's aforementioned game
Harper's 3 HR game
Scherzer's 20 k game
Rendon's aforementioned 6-6, 3 he game

Offline Baseball is Life

Sounds like BiL is "evolving" on this issue. ;)

I think we all know you can't credit a pitcher with a shutout unless he goes 9. But it's still called a shutout when it's a combined shutout so...

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
I guess I have misunderstood the question. I was thinking of this as best baseball performance, not most exciting or most memorable to Nats. Rendon's game and Scherzer's two (two!) games have not been bested by more than 5 players in the 100+ year history of baseball. These performances need no context. Twenty strikeouts, 6 for 6 with 10 RBI, Game score of 104. No qualifiers or explanations necessary.

That being said, I like everyone going over their favorite Nats performances. Especially since I am relatively new to the fan base. I like the history.

Offline NatsAllThe Way

Danny Espinosa had a couple of absolute bazookas from SS to 1B that rank up there.

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
I guess I have misunderstood the question. I was thinking of this as best baseball performance, not most exciting or most memorable to Nats. Rendon's game and Scherzer's two (two!) games have not been bested by more than 5 players in the 100+ year history of baseball. These performances need no context. Twenty strikeouts, 6 for 6 with 10 RBI, Game score of 104. No qualifiers or explanations necessary.

That being said, I like everyone going over their favorite Nats performances. Especially since I am relatively new to the fan base. I like the history.
I was thinking best baseball performance. As far as memorable, lots of games over it.

Offline spidernat

Danny Espinosa had a couple of absolute bazookas from SS to 1B that rank up there.

:clap:

I guess I have misunderstood the question. I was thinking of this as best baseball performance, not most exciting or most memorable to Nats. Rendon's game and Scherzer's two (two!) games have not been bested by more than 5 players in the 100+ year history of baseball. 

You were right. Those are the 3 that stand out as the best performances. The idea of including any of Strasburg's games is just dumb.