Author Topic: Help for Houston  (Read 549 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: Help for Houston
« Reply #25: August 31, 2017, 02:29:53 PM »
UMCOR.  100% of the proceeds.

that's where my money goes

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #26: August 31, 2017, 02:33:26 PM »
You can zero out the service fee, or pay a smaller percentage. 100% of the donation you make goes to charity.
I was not able to zero out the service fee and since I already made a donation to the American Red Cross I did not try again.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #27: August 31, 2017, 03:47:40 PM »
I
We got our kittens from a foster family, it was heartbreaking taking them. I don't know how anyone does it.
I don't understand fostering. I though someone fosters a pet because they don't want to take it permanently, but are willing to take it until a permanent owner can be found.  So if that's the case why would you be heartbroken when you have to give it up, why couldn't you choose to become the permanent owner?

I need to understand it all better because I have volunteered to foster a cat (from Houston).  These rescued animals, are they going to foster homes just until Houston gets cleaned up and the pet can go back to the owner? Or will there be no attempt to locate the owner and so this is treated as a normal foster case and if you foster one, eventually it will go to a permanent owner.

Offline varoadking

« Reply #28: August 31, 2017, 03:50:41 PM »
II don't understand fostering. I though someone fosters a pet because they don't want to take it permanently, but are willing to take it until a permanent owner can be found.  So if that's the case why would you be heartbroken when you have to give it up, why couldn't you choose to become the permanent owner?

I need to understand it all better because I have volunteered to foster a cat (from Houston).  These rescued animals, are they going to foster homes just until Houston gets cleaned up and the pet can go back to the owner? Or will there be no attempt to locate the owner and so this is treated as a normal foster case and if you foster one, eventually it will go to a permanent owner.

People get attached to animals even though they know it is not forever.  I know I'm not going to live in Palm Beach, but I miss it when I have to leave.

I imagine a large part of it will depend on whether or not the animal in micro-chipped, or a missing pet notification is made.

Offline bluestreak

« Reply #29: August 31, 2017, 03:54:19 PM »
II don't understand fostering. I though someone fosters a pet because they don't want to take it permanently, but are willing to take it until a permanent owner can be found.  So if that's the case why would you be heartbroken when you have to give it up, why couldn't you choose to become the permanent owner?

I personally don't understand fostering. If I bring a dog into my house it means I have the ability and space to have a dog. If I live with a foster dog for several weeks, I will begin to think of it as "my dog" and not want to give it up unless it is a terror. It actually makes me wary of adopting a dog from a foster situation. If it's going to be an amazing dog, I would have assumed the foster family would just keep it.

I could be missing something, though. 

Offline imref

• 1B: The New Hot Corner
« Reply #30: August 31, 2017, 03:55:03 PM »

When we picked up our cats, the foster families were in tears.  Imagine having a pet for a few weeks or months and then having some stranger come and take it away.  I get it that it's what you signed up for, it's still difficult.  Personally I don't think I could ever foster an animal.

Offline varoadking

« Reply #31: August 31, 2017, 04:01:22 PM »

My daughter foster's kittens until they are old enough to be adopted by a forever family.  She offers care and "domesticates" the kittens instead of a congested shelter doing it.  Think of it as being a satellite shelter.

It's always tough for her to give them up, but she has done the animal, the shelter, and the eventual owner a great service.  She has fostered entire litters with as many as 5 sibling kittens.

Offline skippy1999

« Reply #32: August 31, 2017, 04:05:53 PM »
My daughter foster's kittens until they are old enough to be adopted by a forever family.  She offers care and "domesticates" the kittens instead of a congested shelter doing it.  Think of it as being a satellite shelter.

It's always tough for her to give them up, but she has done the animal, the shelter, and the eventual owner a great service.  She has fostered entire litters with as many as 5 sibling kittens.

:clap: :clap:
Volunteering at a shelter I have seen first hand how invaluable fosters are, especially when you've got a litter of puppies or kittens that have to eat much more frequently or an animal recovering from a sickness that needs medicine or rest until they're better.  I fall in love all the time with dogs at my shelter but when I see they've been adopted the joy I feel for them far outweighs the sadness at knowing I'll (hopefully) never see them again, fosters must feel something very similar.   

Offline varoadking

« Reply #33: August 31, 2017, 04:24:57 PM »
:clap: :clap:
Volunteering at a shelter I have seen first hand how invaluable fosters are, especially when you've got a litter of puppies or kittens that have to eat much more frequently or an animal recovering from a sickness that needs medicine or rest until they're better.  I fall in love all the time with dogs at my shelter but when I see they've been adopted the joy I feel for them far outweighs the sadness at knowing I'll (hopefully) never see them again, fosters must feel something very similar.   

You'll meet her and her husband on the 30th Skippy...they are the ones on the Alaska fishing trip I mention in the Holiday Road thread...

Offline imref

• 1B: The New Hot Corner
« Reply #34: August 31, 2017, 04:36:49 PM »
That's wonderful Var.

Offline varoadking

« Reply #35: August 31, 2017, 04:44:26 PM »
That's wonderful Var.

Thanks...she's a good kid...  ;)