Author Topic: Help for Houston  (Read 879 times)

Offline LoveAngelos

Help for Houston
« Topic Start: August 30, 2017, 12:52:13 PM »
Anthony  Rendon Matt Albers  anoounced a web site after the game last night to reaise money for the hurricane victims in Texas. I can't recall the web site. Maybe someone can post it here.

I bet they could raise a lot of money with some of the players holding donation buckets just inside the centerfield gates kind of like the way they used to do in the days of yore when players met fans at the gates and gave away stuff.  Seems the large crowds of the Dodger series would be perfect for that.

Offline skippy1999

Re: Help for Houston
« Reply #1: August 30, 2017, 12:59:53 PM »
Here's a link, they've almost reached their goal :shock:   I know JJ Watt asked for donations to his fund and was hoping to get $50,000, he's over a million now-people really are so good when it counts.

https://www.youcaring.com/victimsofhurricaneharvey-918375

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #2: August 30, 2017, 01:46:17 PM »
Americans are generous when presented with a tragedy and a way to give money (JJ Watt's new goal is $6 million and he's raised over $5 million).

Online bluestreak

« Reply #3: August 30, 2017, 01:46:29 PM »
Here's a link, they've almost reached their goal :shock:   I know JJ Watt asked for donations to his fund and was hoping to get $50,000, he's over a million now-people really are so good when it counts.

JJ Watt's is over 5 million now.  :o

Online imref

• 1B: The New Hot Corner
« Reply #4: August 30, 2017, 02:08:16 PM »
JJ Watt's is over 5 million now.  :o

:clap:

I've donated to the Red Cross for now.

Offline skippy1999

« Reply #5: August 30, 2017, 02:10:27 PM »
:clap:

I've donated to the Red Cross for now.

I've donated there and to two different animal organizations but I feel tempted to donate to each one if only my bank account would let me, it's just overwhelming how much help is needed. 

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #6: August 30, 2017, 03:02:02 PM »
My church set up their site so that you could redirect your monthly contributions in addition to donating more so far we're channeling our donations through them to umcor since I trust that they'll get the money where it needs to go   

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #7: August 30, 2017, 03:05:25 PM »
I've donated there and to two different animal organizations but I feel tempted to donate to each one if only my bank account would let me, it's just overwhelming how much help is needed. 

What animal organizations skip?

Offline skippy1999

« Reply #8: August 30, 2017, 03:53:12 PM »
What animal organizations skip?

Austin Pets Alive was the first place I saw put out a call for help on Facebook, I'd never heard of them before but they're legit and I figured they're right there to go help right away

https://www.austinpetsalive.org/donate/

and of course the Humane Society, the videos they're posting of rescuing dogs that have climbed on top of cars trying to escape the water are killing me  :'(

https://secure.humanesociety.org/site/Donation2?df_id=23944&mfc_pref=T&23944.donation=form1&s_src=web_ws_hurricane_harvey_cat_rescue_id93480558_redirect_22819

Online dcpatti

« Reply #9: August 30, 2017, 04:52:41 PM »
If you can foster or adopt a pet, even if you're not near Houston, it will be a big help; rescued animals are being shipped all over the country and a big bunch of them coming here to DC, and when you help one get out of a shelter, you open a space that can help save another.

Offline skippy1999

« Reply #10: August 30, 2017, 04:53:48 PM »
If you can foster or adopt a pet, even if you're not near Houston, it will be a big help; rescued animals are being shipped all over the country and a big bunch of them coming here to DC, and when you help one get out of a shelter, you open a space that can help save another.

Calling Mitlen...:mg:

Offline mitlen

« Reply #11: August 30, 2017, 04:56:55 PM »
Calling Mitlen...:mg:

Think about it everyday.    Neighbor had to put down their old lab on Monday.    That was a tough one.   I dog sit for 'em (neighbors) when they're out of town.    The other dog is psychotic.    They can't figure out why he takes to me and no other stranger.    I tell 'em we're kindred spirits.

Offline skippy1999

« Reply #12: August 30, 2017, 05:18:42 PM »
Think about it everyday.    Neighbor had to put down their old lab on Monday.    That was a tough one.   I dog sit for 'em (neighbors) when they're out of town.    The other dog is psychotic.    They can't figure out why he takes to me and no other stranger.    I tell 'em we're kindred spirits.

:lol:
fostering might be the best thing for you, it must be very satisfying knowing you're looking out for a pup who needs some help until the right family comes along.  I wouldn't know since my fosters all tend to stick around haha

Offline mitlen

« Reply #13: August 30, 2017, 05:19:48 PM »
fostering might be the best thing for you, it must be very satisfying knowing you're looking out for a pup who needs some help until the right family comes along.  I wouldn't know since my fosters all tend to stick around haha

Ain't ready for that either.    Like Dylan said, "Either I'm too sensitive or else I'm gettin' soft."

Online imref

• 1B: The New Hot Corner
« Reply #14: August 30, 2017, 06:25:45 PM »

We got our kittens from a foster family, it was heartbreaking taking them. I don't know how anyone does it.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #15: August 30, 2017, 06:34:59 PM »
I'm a big fan of shelter dogs, but I could never foster - there's no chance I'd want to give them back

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #16: August 30, 2017, 06:41:30 PM »
I'm a big fan of shelter dogs, but I could never foster - there's no chance I'd want to give them back

100% with you

Online Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #17: August 31, 2017, 11:58:51 AM »
Bumping this. The Rendon/Albers fund has a new goal of $80,000 and they are just about ready to reach that. I donated. Link below.

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #18: August 31, 2017, 12:18:48 PM »
Bumping this. The Rendon/Albers fund has a new goal of $80,000 and they are just about ready to reach that. I donated. Link below.

Did they charge you a 15% service fee?

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #19: August 31, 2017, 01:11:46 PM »

I foster labs.  Some are amazing and hard to give up, some are jerks (relative to the labs of the world).  You get over the feeling after the first one or two.

Online Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #20: August 31, 2017, 01:27:14 PM »
Did they charge you a 15% service fee?

They did indeed.

Goal is now $90,000. There must be an auto reset on that every time they meet the goal. ;)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #21: August 31, 2017, 01:32:49 PM »
We've fostered a lot of cats over the years, and it's always a huge relief when they find a good permanent home.  A few years back we heard back from a woman who had adopted two very shy brother cats we had fostered off and on for years..one had died, and as sad as the news was it was nice to know that he had had a few years in his forever home.  The lady and the surviving brother subsequently moved to Houston  :(   
We got our kittens from a foster family, it was heartbreaking taking them. I don't know how anyone does it.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #22: August 31, 2017, 01:32:58 PM »
why would you pay a service fee when there are tons of reputable charities where you don't need one to donate?

Offline Minty Fresh

• Oh you call what you got a team?
« Reply #23: August 31, 2017, 01:40:20 PM »
why would you pay a service fee when there are tons of reputable charities where you don't need one to donate?

UMCOR.  100% of the proceeds.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #24: August 31, 2017, 01:48:25 PM »
You can zero out the service fee, or pay a smaller percentage. 100% of the donation you make goes to charity.