Author Topic: Clinching the NL East  (Read 4580 times)

Offline lylelgreen

Clinching the NL East
« Topic Start: August 28, 2017, 09:18:03 AM »
When will the Nationals clinch the NL East?

I am thinking it will be during the Dodger series, September 15-17.

Offline aspenbubba

Re: Clinching the NL East
« Reply #1: August 28, 2017, 01:09:37 PM »
Not really critical mass when but more importantly when we will be at optimum strength for the play offs. Let's review the DL list and their expected returns and effectiveness.

Scherzer    tonight and should be good to go by monitoring him daily for the neck discomfort

Werth        this week with limited action until mid September

Turner        Doesn't make sense to bring him back until minor league season is over especially with Difo being more than adequete.

Harper       I don't see him getting back until the play offs and his effectiveness will be severely hampered by lack of re-hab starts

Madson      No timetable set for him and hopefully mid -Sept

Romero      Not much time for him to be throwing in actual games and his wildness has always been a consideration

Glover , Eaton ,  not this season

Raburn, Drew , Goodwin  they are among the missing and we need them only to eliminate the need for Stevenson, De Aza , Sanchez

Please feel free to add someone I may have missed and your projection

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #2: August 28, 2017, 01:25:59 PM »
Magic number is 22.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #3: August 28, 2017, 01:30:16 PM »
Werth        this week with limited action until mid September

Turner        Doesn't make sense to bring him back until minor league season is over especially with Difo being more than adequete.
I think you want to get these two as many big league reps as soon as possible. I don't think the minor league schedule and/or roster expansion has, nor should it have any impact on when they. If it does, it's more coincidence than anything.

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #4: August 28, 2017, 01:39:03 PM »
Magic number is 22.

Sadly, it doesn't look like we'll get there...   :(

LOL, just trolling you BiL

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #5: August 28, 2017, 02:04:56 PM »
I would be shocked if Harper doesn't return at least a week before the playoffs to get his ABs in.  I also think Werth will play a decent amount in September to get his timing back.  No day games after night games or anything, but he'll start 4 times a week I'd say.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #6: August 28, 2017, 03:21:50 PM »
Sadly, it doesn't look like we'll get there...   :(

LOL, just trolling you BiL

You must be a riot at a cocktail party. :lol:

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #7: August 28, 2017, 03:22:10 PM »

Romero      Not much time for him to be throwing in actual games and his wildness has always been a consideration

He's been pitching in Syracuse since mid-month, .176 ERA, 0.92 WHIP, 3ER on 3 or 4 hits across 5 outings.  He'll be back when Syracuse is done for the year, and get his chance to audition for October.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #8: August 28, 2017, 03:35:42 PM »

He's been pitching in Syracuse since mid-month, .176 ERA, 0.92 WHIP, 3ER on 3 or 4 hits across 5 outings.  He'll be back when Syracuse is done for the year, and get his chance to audition for October.
Thanks. Can you let me know where I can locate Raburn, Drew and Goodwins' progress?

« Reply #9: August 28, 2017, 03:38:37 PM »
Thanks. Can you let me know where I can locate Raburn, Drew and Goodwins' progress?

Raburn is a huge longshot to be part of the postseason plans.  I'm not even sure he returns to play in September, but he might be used as an extra bench bat if he's healthy enough.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #10: August 28, 2017, 03:44:43 PM »
I would be shocked if Harper doesn't return at least a week before the playoffs to get his ABs in.  I also think Werth will play a decent amount in September to get his timing back.  No day games after night games or anything, but he'll start 4 times a week I'd say.

Werth is back on the roster as of today and in tonight's lineup.

« Reply #11: August 28, 2017, 03:54:27 PM »
Werth is back on the roster as of today and in tonight's lineup.

Right, I'm talking about how often he plays in September.  I expect about 4 starts a week.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #12: August 28, 2017, 03:57:40 PM »

Drew was just moved to the 60-day DL to make room for Werth. Since he went on the 10-day DL on 7/27, I would not really expect to see him again this season (or perhaps ever) except as a well wisher and guy who gets to celebrate in the clubhouse with Adam Eaton, Dan Kolko and Dusty's kid.

Offline Optics

« Reply #13: August 28, 2017, 05:10:15 PM »
Right, I'm talking about how often he plays in September.  I expect about 4 starts a week.

That seems right. Play him everyday with the exception of day games after night games. If we have any more road interleague games, play him in the DH role.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #14: August 28, 2017, 05:36:20 PM »
That seems right. Play him everyday with the exception of day games after night games. If we have any more road interleague games, play him in the DH role.

I'd play him every other day...no sense taking too much playing time away from guys who are actually contributing now...

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #15: August 28, 2017, 10:26:25 PM »
Magic number is 20.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #16: August 28, 2017, 11:03:10 PM »
I'd play him every other day...no sense taking too much playing time away from guys who are actually contributing now...
Marlins aren't catching the Nats. Cubs aren't catching the Nats. Nats aren't catching the Dodgers.

Play Trea every day as his health allows. If he is still struggling in late September, Difo goes back to starting lineup. Use Difo to spell Werth and Murphy as needed until then.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #17: August 29, 2017, 07:29:07 AM »
Can't get into a rhythm doing things like this.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #18: August 29, 2017, 07:59:38 AM »

Play Trea every day as his health allows. If he is still struggling in late September, Difo goes back to starting lineup. Use Difo to spell Werth and Murphy as needed until then.

Perfect approach. Love Difo but if Trea gets back to (last year's) form then it's an easy call.

They should use the same approach with Werth. Got to play him every day to see what he has. Once Harper gets back, then Hendrick is your fourth OF, assuming Werth is clicking. This one is not an easy call but it all depends on how Werth performs.

Offline 3bside

« Reply #19: August 29, 2017, 10:26:20 AM »
Marlins aren't catching the Nats. Cubs aren't catching the Nats. Nats aren't catching the Dodgers.

We still have a good chance of home field for the WS if we can get past the Dodgers.  We're currently tied with the Astros.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #20: September 05, 2017, 02:05:18 PM »

Soon...real soon...

For all the nagging we do, it's good to have a team that makes the playoffs and gives you a sense that it may progress.  They have let us down in the past, big time, as Rusty would say, and are likely to let us down again, but it sure beats being a Padres fan...

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #21: September 05, 2017, 02:57:56 PM »
Mets could be eliminated tonight. Nats have the smallest magic number in baseball right now.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #22: September 05, 2017, 03:18:00 PM »
Mets could be eliminated tonight. Nats have the smallest magic number in baseball right now.

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #23: September 07, 2017, 09:33:40 AM »
Soon...real soon...

For all the nagging we do, it's good to have a team that makes the playoffs and gives you a sense that it may progress.  They have let us down in the past, big time, as Rusty would say, and are likely to let us down again, but it sure beats being a Padres fan...

Or a Senators fan....not that I remember how crazy DC went over a team with a record of just 10 games over .500....read about it in a history book

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #24: September 07, 2017, 09:42:07 AM »
Gonna guess we clinch at home against ATL next week.  4 vs. the Phils first so earliest probably is Saturday and Sunday is a decent shot.  Just looking forward to the Monday headlines on the sports page.  "Redskins Listless in First Game."