Author Topic: Expos, Pudge in WAS Ring of Honor  (Read 1713 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Expos, Pudge in WAS Ring of Honor
« Topic Start: August 24, 2017, 05:44:39 PM »
Tim Raines and Pudge are going into the ring of honor at Nats park on Monday per Dan Steinberg at the Washington Post.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Tim Raines and Pudge are going into the ring of honor at Nats park on Monday per Dan Steinberg at the Washington Post.
but not Pedro, who won a Cy Young for the Expos in 1997 and was in the 1994 rotation?

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
I hope to live to see the day when the Nats have enough home town heroes that we can begin the debate on which Expos names to chisel down first to make room for guys who played the bulk of their career in DC.

Offline Mattionals

Raines is deserving. Pudge, ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Offline DPMOmaha

I hope to live to see the day when the Nats have enough home town heroes that we can begin the debate on which Expos names to chisel down first to make room for guys who played the bulk of their career in DC.
I'm hoping Montreal gets another team and we can give 'em back to them. In the mean time, I'm ok with preserving the history in Montreal so it's not lost to time.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
I was looking at people commenting on this on Twitter. I simply cannot understand the outrage folks have over this.

Offline expos1994

Ivan Rodriguez? You're kidding, right? He played the final couple season of his career in Washington. Did nothing of significance here. Spent most of his career in the American League. What in the world?

Tim Raines is a hall of famer who played a majority of his career for the Expos. That puts him in the same category as Dawson and Carter.

If Ivan Rodriguez is in the franchise hall of fame that means at least 100 former players should be in as well. This makes no sense. I hope it's a misunderstanding or a short term thing cuz he just got elected.

Offline DPMOmaha

Ivan Rodriguez? You're kidding, right? He played the final couple season of his career in Washington. Did nothing of significance here. Spent most of his career in the American League. What in the world?

Tim Raines is a hall of famer who played a majority of his career for the Expos. That puts him in the same category as Dawson and Carter.

If Ivan Rodriguez is in the franchise hall of fame that means at least 100 former players should be in as well. This makes no sense. I hope it's a misunderstanding or a short term thing cuz he just got elected.
He was the first person to wear a Nats uniform to make it into the HOF. I think that's the only reason behind it.

Offline expos1994

He was the first person to wear a Nats uniform to make it into the HOF. I think that's the only reason behind it.

That is worth... at best.. a 7th inning stretch jumbotron trivia question during a meaningless game in April against the Phillies.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked

:smh:

Offline DPMOmaha

That is worth... at best.. a 7th inning stretch jumbotron trivia question during a meaningless game in April against the Phillies.
It's probably worth more than that, but the Ring of Honor is excessive, IMO.

Offline expos1994

Mike Piazza played his final season in Oakland... maybe he should be in their franchise Hall of Fame..

Or Maybe Randy Johnson who went 8-6 for San Francisco in his final season... maybe he should be enshrined in the Giants HOF.

Greg Maddux ended with a 5.09 ERA for the Dodgers... He bleeds dodger blue.

I could go on... and on... and on...

This makes the organization look pathetic IMO. They're trying to claim Ivan Rodriguez who played here as a hobbled old catcher in the twilight of his career. HOF worthy as it may have been... none of that stuff happened here.

The first "Nat" who actually wore the post-2005 uniform to be enshrined should be Ryan Zimmerman.

Offline HalfSmokes

At least pudge played here, that's more than Raines

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
Mike Piazza played his final season in Oakland... maybe he should be in their franchise Hall of Fame..

Or Maybe Randy Johnson who went 8-6 for San Francisco in his final season... maybe he should be enshrined in the Giants HOF.

Greg Maddux ended with a 5.09 ERA for the Dodgers... He bleeds dodger blue.

I could go on... and on... and on...

This makes the organization look pathetic IMO. They're trying to claim Ivan Rodriguez who played here as a hobbled old catcher in the twilight of his career. HOF worthy as it may have been... none of that stuff happened here.

The first "Nat" who actually wore the post-2005 uniform to be enshrined should be Ryan Zimmerman.

Absolutely.  Pudge Rodriguez? Ridiculous.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
It's probably worth more than that, but the Ring of Honor is excessive, IMO.

No more excessive than former Orioles owner Edward Bennett Williams - a man who fought to keep baseball out of Washington - being honoured in Nats Park's Washington Hall of Stars or whatever they call it nowadays. (I don't care what he did at the Redskins - his Orioles ownership and opposition to baseball in Washington make him ipso facto ineligible to be honoured at Washington's baseball park.)

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
No more excessive than former Orioles owner Edward Bennett Williams - a man who fought to keep baseball out of Washington - being honoured in Nats Park's Washington Hall of Stars or whatever they call it nowadays. (I don't care what he did at the Redskins - his Orioles ownership and opposition to baseball in Washington make him ipso facto ineligible to be honoured at Washington's baseball park.)

Great point, might as well put up Angelos for all he has done getting the games on TV.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
I love it when the old franchise-DNA song & dance number gets trotted back out onto stage  :lol:

Offline Count Walewski

The Nationals are the Expos, moved to another city and dressed up in new jerseys. The Nationals can no more claim to be the Senators than an Catholic Irishman who moves to Beacon Hill in Boston can claim to be an elite WASP because Boston Brahmins once lived where he does now.

Offline Five Banners

The Nationals are the Expos, moved to another city and dressed up in new jerseys. The Nationals can no more claim to be the Senators than an Catholic Irishman who moves to Beacon Hill in Boston can claim to be an elite WASP because Boston Brahmins once lived where he does now.

It's a matter of the keeping of history, which a team located in a market with a century of professional baseball history can choose to associated with and celebrate. It's just like the choice made to have the Ravens not be the guardian of Cleveland's NFL history.

I can understand the franchise itself acting as a conduit to honor how players at a major league venue in realtime. However, I think it more appropriate for that history to have its locus in Montreal amongst the fanbase where it was made. I seem to remember things like that occurring at their hockey arena, with banners and so forth.

Again, we are talking about a century of baseball history here. It is understandable and logical that the custodians of the area's baseball history -- which includes talking about who's hit the most homers ina Washington uniform, who's won the most games in a Washington uniform, and so forth -- would not only make that connection but talk about it more than a nnection to things that happened in another market (and actually in a another country).

Offline HalfSmokes

that doesn't mean anyone here has to give a crap about the expos

Offline DPMOmaha

that doesn't mean anyone here has to give a crap about the expos
Nope, you don't. But I don't think it's wrong for the Nats to preserve that history, either.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked

The Nationals are not the expos anymore. They ceased being that 12 years ago. And no one here is claiming that they are the Senators.

Nope, you don't. But I don't think it's wrong for the Nats to preserve that history, either.

We are already living in an era where history is being whitewashed. :stir:

Offline mdnatsfan

They ought to put an accord or civic on a ped to honor that Honda guy.

Offline LoveAngelos

Ivan Rodriguez and Tim Raines added to the Ring of (dis)Honor???????
Who makes these decisions????
Peter Angelos???
No Mickey Vernon???????
Two out of towners instead?????