Author Topic: Petco Park visit  (Read 433 times)

Offline dcpatti

Petco Park visit
« Topic Start: August 25, 2017, 11:20:19 AM »
 I got to go back to Petco Park last week-- always a great time and one of my favorite parks.  San Diego is a great city with a ton of stuff to do. Good food, good beer, very walkable city, decent public transportation via bus, light rail, trolley and Uber/Lyft/taxi.  We had fantastic weather in the mid 70's with low humidity and great breezes for our trip. Honestly couldn't have been happier about that!

This is the home plate entrance.  At the CF gate you have the option of going into the team store then entering the ballpark from there, which can be helpful when the main gates are backed up.  If you enter by the CF Plaza, there is a great craft beer bar where you can chill with your beer and watch batting practice, and a kids play area with a miniature baseball diamond. When we visited, there was a Padres employee tossing pitches for the kids to hit but I don't know if that's normal or just weekends or what.  If you bought berm tickets, you'll be out by the CF plaza. It's quite shady on the berm too.  The pic below is from the craft beer deck (those white chairs are the Rich Dude Private Party Section, one level below).  It's hard to get BP balls from the craft beer deck; go over to the concourse ramp behind left field instead.

It's a beautiful park that manages to feel spacious and intimate at the same time.  You can watch the planes on their final descent to SAN airport just past CF.

We sat in the Omni Premier Club section. I bought the tickets from a season ticket holder who posted on Craigslist. I paid about $90/ticket for Thursday's game. The Padres do dynamic pricing even for the season tickets and the same seats for Friday would have been $110. But since the Padres suck this year and everyone was out of town, I found similar seats on StubHub the day of the game for $50. Live and learn. 

The Premier Club seats are a little wider than the regular seats and have a lot more leg room (they really smash you together in the standard seats at Petco). There is an actual Premier Club too but you don't need Premier Club tickets to access it; you just need $45 for the buffet. We skipped that.

One of the big benefits of the Premier Club seats (as well as the other premium seats) is in-seat waiter service. California doesn't allow beer vendors in the stands so if you don't want to get up every 2 innings and go wait in the beer line, look for waiter-service seats in any of the Cali parks. You pay as you go or you can open a tab but it's not like the Diamond Club where it's all included in the ticket price.   the beer selection available from the waiters is very meh (second only to Busch Stadium in being underwelming) which is a shame because the beer selection elsewhere in the park is awesome (and dangerous).

Food yum yum
There is a lot of really good food at Petco Park, like these Carne Asada Fries which were kind of ridiculous, soooooooo good, basically cheese fries with guac, salsa, sour cream and chunks of carne asada on them.  Hit Seaside Market for tri tip sandwiches (yum) and craft beer tallboys.  Hodads burgers are also really good but the line for those can get crazy long. 

There is craft beer everywhere including a line of carts along the concourse down the 1B line which equals about 20 taps. Mostly local, mostly real independent beers and not the AB faux craft beers. There's also a good selection of local stuff in the Seaside Market locations.

That said-- the food and drink prices are REALLY high. A 16-oz draft craft beer is $13.50 (!!!) and the tallboy cans are even higher, and 20-oz Dasani water (or similar brand-- can't remember for sure but it wasn't anything exotic) was $8.  Good Humor ice cream cookie sandwich (yummy but pedestrian) $6 and those amazing carne fries are $13  :shock:

General observations: everyone at Petco Park is drunk because there is so much  beer everywhere. Some fans seemed  clueless about baseball etiquette. Lots of standing in the aisles or walking across people while the ball was in play, poorly timed selfies, and general durp.  Lots and lots of seat poachers; after the 4th inning or so, the ushers in my section were really busy kicking people out.  But no trash talk or animosity. I saw a TON of Nats fans, at the game and around town.  The in-game fan entertainment is a lot of fun; they do stuff like videos of players telling really dumb jokes and tweets of rally doggos.

Where to stay: There are a ton of choices The Omni is basically connected to the ballpark, and The Hilton Bayside and Marriott Gaslamp are all good picks and easily walkable.  When choosing your hotel, beware of the commuter train/light rail that runs through the Gaslamp District. It runs all night and it's noisy (I avoid the Hilton Gaslamp because of it).  Parking is $50 in the stadium lots so you may prefer to leave your car at the hotel and take an uber.

Most important thing from my visit: EJax pitches like a boss and Zim hits a tater and we get the Curly W!!!!   2-1 Nats

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: Petco Park visit
« Reply #1: August 25, 2017, 11:21:17 AM »
Thanks and well done.

Online OldChelsea

• From the best seat in the house at Nationals Park
« Reply #2: August 25, 2017, 11:28:21 AM »
Would like to check that out sometime (I was born in San Diego)...interesting to see one of the more pitcher-friendly of the post-Preparation-H-Park generation of ballparks.

Offline imref

• 1B: The New Hot Corner
« Reply #3: August 25, 2017, 11:34:27 AM »
saw a game there about six or seven years ago during a spring break trip with the family.  It's a beautiful ballpark and a beautiful city.  I could have spent a month there and not run out of things to do.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #4: August 25, 2017, 01:38:56 PM »
 I go all in on the fish tacos whenever I'm there.  But those fries look ridonkulous.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• I am Djour Djilios.
« Reply #5: October 23, 2017, 08:52:11 AM »
They brought back the carne asade fries?  Amazing. Best thing about Petco are the Sunday games where the Friar goes nuts with the jarheads.

Online OldChelsea

• From the best seat in the house at Nationals Park
« Reply #6: October 23, 2017, 09:46:24 AM »
[...]General observations: everyone at Petco Park is drunk because there is so much  beer everywhere.[...]

Sounds like my kind of place.

For the record: Nats away series at San Diego next season is 7th/8th/9th May (Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday, starting at 19.10, 19.10 and 18.10 local time respectively)

Offline bluestreak

« Reply #7: October 23, 2017, 09:48:51 AM »
Sounds like my kind of place.

For the record: Nats away series at San Diego next season is 7th/8th/9th May (Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday, starting at 19.10, 19.10 and 18.10 local time respectively)

It’s unfortunate. The San Diego, San Francisco, and Pittsburgh series are all during the week. Those were the three that I was hoping to visit this season.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #8: October 23, 2017, 10:13:21 AM »
It’s unfortunate. The San Diego, San Francisco, and Pittsburgh series are all during the week. Those were the three that I was hoping to visit this season.

2017 was a rough season for weekend road trips. 2018 is shaping up to be a fair bit better (maybe just at least for me based on the ballparks I have yet to cross off the list), with weekend series in Arizona (in May even, before it is the post-apocalyptic hellscape known as "Phoenix in summertime"), Miami, Toronto, Colorado, LA, Philly and Chicago.  I found a great fare to Phoenix so I'm definitely going there; the Toronto series is just after my birthday and the Rockies series is just after my anniversary so we're likely to do both of those as well. The Tampa series doesn't fall on a weekend but it's such an easy flight back and forth that I might telecommute from the hotel and get that stadium off the list too.