Author Topic: Post season roster  (Read 18307 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Post season roster
« Reply #75: September 01, 2017, 01:12:04 PM »
Did you really say this?  "And there is nothing to say he won't continue to be lucky."

Oh, and there you go just BSing with statistics again.  You pick Harper's .752 OPS last year.  First off, taking 5 game statistical samples is dumb in and of itself.  But you don't mention that Harper had a 1.251 OPS in the 2014 Giants series. 

How about Howie's postseason stats?  in 30 career playoff games, his OPS is .557! 

He went 2-13 against the Cubs last year in the playoffs for a .385 OPS.

I await your spin of this.
THat was before. Howie locked in this year. Bryce Harper broken.

Howie > Bryce

Hey, save some negativity for hockey season!
Hey, Caps are going all the way this year.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #76: September 01, 2017, 01:13:18 PM »

Offline Slateman

« Reply #77: September 01, 2017, 01:17:06 PM »
Did you really say this?  "And there is nothing to say he won't continue to be lucky."

Oh, and there you go just BSing with statistics again.  You pick Harper's .752 OPS last year.  First off, taking 5 game statistical samples is dumb in and of itself.  But you don't mention that Harper had a 1.251 OPS in the 2014 Giants series. 

How about Howie's postseason stats?  in 30 career playoff games, his OPS is .557! 

I await your spin of this.

Howie hitting. Harper broken. Howie > Bryce

Also, Howie has a higher batting average. Ask vark, this is important

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #78: September 01, 2017, 01:18:07 PM »
THat was before. Howie locked in this year. Bryce Harper broken.

Howie > Bryce
Hey, Caps are going all the way this year.

No, Howie was locked in the past couple of months.  See, in baseball when a guy with a 12 year track record of being so-so has a hot month or 2 fueled by an insane BABIP then it's pretty easy to predict the dropoff coming.  Howie, unlike Murphy a few years back, has no real explanation mechanically or with his approach as to why the results are different.  It's a hot streak fueld by a lot of luck.  The playoffs are a month from now.  You can't expect that to last into October.  If Harper is even 75% you are absolutely DUMB to play a guy who was average and forgettable over a 12 year career over a MVP and future Hall of Famer.  The playoffs don't start today during Howie's hot streak and while Bryce is out of commission.  We'll see in a month what's up.

« Reply #79: September 01, 2017, 01:19:05 PM »

The playoffs don't start today.  Do you need a calendar?  Howie has a .408 BABIP and the league average is 0.292.  Howie isn't especially fast and beating out infield hits.  He doesn't hit the ball exceptionally hard.  How do you explain the BABIP spike when his career BABIP is much, much lower?  It's luck, and luck doesn't last nor should be expected to.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #80: September 01, 2017, 01:21:48 PM »
No, Howie was locked in the past couple of months.  See, in baseball when a guy with a 12 year track record of being so-so has a hot month or 2 fueled by an insane BABIP then it's pretty easy to predict the dropoff coming.  Howie, unlike Murphy a few years back, has no real explanation mechanically or with his approach as to why the results are different.  It's a hot streak fueld by a lot of luck.  The playoffs are a month from now.  You can't expect that to last into October.  If Harper is even 75% you are absolutely DUMB to play a guy who was average and forgettable over a 12 year career over a MVP and future Hall of Famer.  The playoffs don't start today during Howie's hot streak and while Bryce is out of commission.  We'll see in a month what's up.

And by past couple months you mean the entire season right? .340 average baby. We saw Harper at 75% last year. He hit .242/.352/.396 after getting hurt and trying to play through it. So you think he's going to magically mash after spending two months not playing and still being hurt? Yea, no. Harper can sit his ass on the bench and give the team a chance to win.

« Reply #81: September 01, 2017, 01:24:00 PM »
And by past couple months you mean the entire season right? .340 average baby. We saw Harper at 75% last year. He hit .242/.352/.396 after getting hurt and trying to play through it. So you think he's going to magically mash after spending two months not playing and still being hurt? Yea, no. Harper can sit his ass on the bench and give the team a chance to win.
Keep holding onto that .340 average and see where it's at in a month.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #82: September 01, 2017, 01:25:21 PM »
Keep holding onto that .340 average and see where it's at in a month.

You're right. Five days ago he was hitting .335

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/nationals-deny-report-that-bryce-harper-has-been-playing-hurt-for-months/

There's your boy when he's hurt. He stinks on ice. Healthy Howie > Hurt Bryce Harper. Healthy Goodwin > Hurt Bryce Harper. Healthy Bat Boy > Hurt Bryce Harper

« Reply #83: September 01, 2017, 01:26:55 PM »

I'm sorry, does Harper have the same injury as he had last year?  I guess every injury effects you exactly the same way, right?  We'll see where Harper is at in a month.  I know what Howie is and that's very, very average.  I noticed you just skipped right over Howie's career playoff stats I put in front of you.  Not even you could spin that.

« Reply #84: September 01, 2017, 01:28:12 PM »
Again:

#Clutch

Offline Slateman

« Reply #85: September 01, 2017, 01:29:29 PM »
I'm sorry, does Harper have the same injury as he had last year?  I guess every injury effects you exactly the same way, right?  We'll see where Harper is at in a month.  I know what Howie is and that's very, very average.  I noticed you just skipped right over Howie's career playoff stats I put in front of you.  Not even you could spin that.
You're right. It's worse. He can't use his knee on his plant foot. A guy who's hitting mechanics are driven by his legs and base has injured his leg so badly that two weeks later he is considered "a long way away from running"
Again:

#Clutch
Howie's stats are in the past. Who cares. He's never hit like this. He's kicking ass and taking names. Dude is raking. Harper, Werth, and Zimmerman should all be benched in favor of Kendrick, Difo, and Lind.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #86: September 01, 2017, 01:30:41 PM »

But his lifetime OPS is below average for a corner outfielder fielder, so he should likely sit...  :whistle:

Offline Slateman

« Reply #87: September 01, 2017, 01:31:26 PM »
But his lifetime OPS is below average for a corner outfielder fielder, so he should likely sit...  :whistle:
But this season he's raking. Unless you're going to tell me it's just a phase and he can't sustain his BABIP .... like Escobar . . . . 

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #88: September 01, 2017, 01:32:17 PM »
But this season he's raking. Unless you're going to tell me it's just a phase and he can't sustain his BABIP .... like Escobar . . . .

...or Eaton?

Offline Slateman

« Reply #89: September 01, 2017, 01:33:07 PM »
...or Eaton?
Eaton's broke. Pretty sure he ain't coming back this year either.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #90: September 01, 2017, 01:33:47 PM »
Eaton's broke. Pretty sure he ain't coming back this year either.

Find a fence.  Pick a side.  Stay on it.

« Reply #91: September 01, 2017, 01:35:21 PM »
You're right. It's worse. He can't use his knee on his plant foot. A guy who's hitting mechanics are driven by his legs and base has injured his leg so badly that two weeks later he is considered "a long way away from running"Howie's stats are in the past. Who cares. He's never hit like this. He's kicking ass and taking names. Dude is raking. Harper, Werth, and Zimmerman should all be benched in favor of Kendrick, Difo, and Lind.

Yea, let's ignore 12 years of data on Howie and believe that this BABIP over 400 in 200 at bats this year is the new norm.  We'll see in a month where Harper is at physically but I can tell you exactly where Howie will be and that's back to the same guy he's always been.  If Harper is completely unable to go then that's who we'll have to roll the dice with, but any intelligent person isn't impressed by this lucky hot streak and putting him in over Harper if Harper is able to play.  It's insane to even discuss that, but then again consider the source.  Funny how you only trumpet the new guys and dismiss every player that has been around.  You're the typical love the backup QB fan. 

Offline Slateman

« Reply #92: September 01, 2017, 01:39:09 PM »
Yea, let's ignore 12 years of data on Howie and believe that this BABIP over 400 in 200 at bats this year is the new norm.  We'll see in a month where Harper is at physically but I can tell you exactly where Howie will be and that's back to the same guy he's always been.  If Harper is completely unable to go then that's who we'll have to roll the dice with, but any intelligent person isn't impressed by this lucky hot streak and putting him in over Harper if Harper is able to play.  It's insane to even discuss that, but then again consider the source.  Funny how you only trumpet the new guys and dismiss every player that has been around.  You're the typical love the backup QB fan. 
Didn't say it was the new norm. It's this season. That hot streak is the entire season. He's on. Ride the hot hand versus the one who wouldn't be playing for another two months if it was May.

Find a fence.  Pick a side.  Stay on it.
Eaton and Harper are broke. Keep on the DL and play the guys who are hitting well.

« Reply #93: September 01, 2017, 01:40:58 PM »
Didn't say it was the new norm. It's this season. That hot streak is the entire season. He's on. Ride the hot hand versus the one who wouldn't be playing for another two months if it was May.
Eaton and Harper are broke. Keep on the DL and play the guys who are hitting well.

You keep talking about riding the hot streak and Harper is broken.  That's the reality today, not a month from now.  Do you not understand how things can and will change in the next month?

Offline Slateman

« Reply #94: September 01, 2017, 01:45:27 PM »
You keep talking about riding the hot streak and Harper is broken.  That's the reality today, not a month from now.  Do you not understand how things can and will change in the next month?
A month from now, Howie will still be raking and Harper will still be broken. Book it. He's hitting .342/.393/.514 as a starter this year. It's a contract year. He's in it to win it.

The only thing that's going to change is that Howie will have more experience in RF and be ready for the playoffs.

Offline monkeyhit

« Reply #95: September 01, 2017, 02:33:36 PM »
so what's the lineup with Howie in it against right-handers?

TT
JW
DM
AR
AL
HK
MW
MT

That's a very uninspiring card.

Harper is the only hope, but he won't be healthy, at least for round one, and I agree that you sit an unhealthy Harper and go down swinging with Howie and Co.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #96: September 01, 2017, 02:35:58 PM »
so what's the lineup with Howie in it against right-handers?

TT
JW
DM
AR
AL
HK
MW
MT

That's a very uninspiring card.

Harper is the only hope, but he won't be healthy, at least for round one, and I agree that you sit an unhealthy Harper and go down swinging with Howie and Co.
Seems pretty freaking great to me. How many teams can put four .300+ hitters in a row in their lineup?

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #97: September 01, 2017, 03:11:48 PM »
Seems pretty freaking great to me. How many teams can put four .300+ hitters in a row in their lineup?

Batting average is an overrated stat...

Offline KV

• Believe!
« Reply #98: September 01, 2017, 03:37:09 PM »
I'm not gonna argue that Kendrick should start over Harper. That would be crazy. But I would remind everyone that Daniel Murphy was also a pretty pedestrian hitter before he suddenly turned into Ted Williams.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #99: September 01, 2017, 05:25:20 PM »
Guessing we'll see:
1 Turner ss
2 Kendrick lf
3 murphy 2b
4 Rendon 3b
5 Zimmerman 1b
6 Werth rf
7 taylor cf
8 wieters c

Lind, difo, lobaton, and another OF on the bench.   Maybe an extra batter for pinch running situations.