Author Topic: Does the NL Central winner and Wild Card have an advantage over LA/Nats?  (Read 275 times)

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

I really wonder if it's better to coast the entire 2nd half like the Dodgers and Nats are and be "fresh" versus staying sharp and keeping that edge actually fighting for your postseason lives until the end.  We've seen teams that barely sneak in maintain that momentum in the postseason versus the team that wrapped it up early.  Aside from getting guys back healthy, the way Dusty handles the lineups in September is the biggest storyline to watch I think.  I expect basically the entire 40-man roster to be with the club, so we can easily rest position players and maybe even skip starts with our rotation if desired.  What is the proper balance between rest and keeping guys fresh and keeping them sharp both mentally and physically?  The answer is different with each player, so communication with Dusty is key.  The guys that have been out a while need more time to get back into the swing of things.  Guys like Rendon and Murphy have avoided the DL and maybe can afford to rest more down the stretch without losing their timing at the plate.  I think Wieters no doubt could benefit from a lot of rest down the stretch and maybe focus more on working on his swing on the side.  How about the rotation?  I'd baby Max coming off this neck thing and also Stras, skipping them if need be and with the extra bullpen arms coming in September I wouldn't push them past 6 innings.  85-95 pitches and they're out.  Gio is on pace to throw more innings than he's accustomed, although the actual amount of pitches being thrown might be about the same as he's being more efficient.  Perhaps he could use a skipped start or 2 down the stretch?

Dusty has a lot to "manage" in September beyond just trying to win games.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Any team from a city that isn't cursed would have an advantage over the Nats.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked

Offline Slateman

• thanosdidnothingwrong
Haven't we coasted in to every postseason we've had?

Offline DPMOmaha

Cubs won the Central by 17.5 last year. Indians won the Central by 8.

Royals won the Central by 12 in 2015. Mets won the East by 7.

Giants were a Wild Card team in 2014. Royals were a WC team that had to play down to the end of the season.

Red Sox won the East by 5 in 2013. Cards won the Central by 3.

Giants won the West by 5 in 2012. Tigers won the Central by 3.

Looks to me like how you end the regular season has little bearing on who gets to the World Series. Some coasted. Some were in tight battles, some were somewhere in between.

Offline HalfSmokes

Cubs won the Central by 17.5 last year. Indians won the Central by 8.

Royals won the Central by 12 in 2015. Mets won the East by 7.

Giants were a Wild Card team in 2014. Royals were a WC team that had to play down to the end of the season.

Red Sox won the East by 5 in 2013. Cards won the Central by 3.

Giants won the West by 5 in 2012. Tigers won the Central by 3.

Looks to me like how you end the regular season has little bearing on who gets to the World Series. Some coasted. Some were in tight battles, some were somewhere in between.

Yep, get there, hope you're healthy hope your pitchers have decent games and hope your bats are hot

Offline imref

• 1B: The New Hot Corner
Yep, get there, hope you're healthy hope your pitchers have decent games and hope your bats are hot

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, and sometimes it rains.