Author Topic: 2017 Eclipse GDT  (Read 2995 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
2017 Eclipse GDT
« Topic Start: August 20, 2017, 06:23:23 PM »
I'm headin' to the pool for part of the day though I wanna be home to watch the wild life freak out.    Skippy's goin' to the ball park for a free hot dog.   VaRK's gonna take a nap.    spider sez he's gonna watch it from the deep end of the pool.

What's your plan?

Offline DPMOmaha

Re: 2017 Eclipse GDT
« Reply #1: August 20, 2017, 06:25:10 PM »
Heading about an hour west. Will be just about in the center of the path. Cloud cover is a concern, but right now it looks promising. We've got our glasses and filters for our fancy cameras.

My dad turned 60 a couple of weeks ago and he's all fired up for it, so this is our belated celebration for that.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #2: August 20, 2017, 06:30:17 PM »
Heading about an hour west. Will be just about in the center of the path. Cloud cover is a concern, but right now it looks promising. We've got our glasses and filters for our fancy cameras.

My dad turned 60 a couple of weeks ago and he's all fired up for it, so this is our belated celebration for that.

Watchin' the news and there's backups at a lot of the main path sites.   Post pictures   ....

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #3: August 20, 2017, 06:32:43 PM »
Watchin' the news and there's backups at a lot of the main path sites.
Yeah, we're headed out pretty early tomorrow morning. My brother has a cabin at a retreat center at the town we'll be at. If traffic isn't too bad, we should be there by 9 am (eclipse starts about 11, here). IF there's traffic (and I'm expecting there to be some. Hoping our leaving early will get us in front of that), we should still be ok, but maybe with less prep time than we'd like.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #4: August 20, 2017, 06:42:01 PM »

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #5: August 20, 2017, 07:23:36 PM »
My workplace has bought 100 pairs of glasses* and we're having an outdoor social for 3 hours tomorrow.  Ice cream!  Snacks!  Why not?    :shrug:

*We have about 350 on site so there would have to be sharing.   

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #6: August 20, 2017, 07:24:51 PM »
How does Mitlen get a win for this?

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #7: August 20, 2017, 07:37:29 PM »
How does Mitlen get a win for this?

:smh: The eclipse isn't over yet...

Offline mitlen

« Reply #8: August 20, 2017, 07:39:19 PM »

:lol:   TT would be all over that.

Online imref

« Reply #9: August 20, 2017, 08:19:22 PM »

Good point.  if it ends up cloudy in D.C. he gets a loss.   I guess the moon could always go on the DL too.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #10: August 20, 2017, 08:20:02 PM »
Good point.  if it ends up cloudy in D.C. he gets a loss.   I guess the moon could always go on the DL too.

It'll still get dark.    Plus, we can watch it on NASA TV.    :)

http://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #12: August 20, 2017, 08:53:09 PM »
Dr. Patricia Fink Optometry
Yesterday at 4:27pm ·
Our office is receiving calls asking whether we are selling solar eclipse viewing glasses for the eclipse on Monday. I DO NOT recommend viewing the solar eclipse at all...regardless of glasses approved or not. It is not worth the risk. Here are a few points to consider.

1) Solar Retinopathy (aka PERMANENT vision loss) is possible if you view it incorrectly. It’s not fixable and can happen quickly without you having immediate symptoms. For real.
2) Stacking multiple pairs of regular (or in combination with prescription) sunglasses together is NOT safe. Not even close. Don’t do it.
3) Your retina (what you see with in the back of your eye) does NOT have pain receptors, so this won’t “hurt” like a sunburn. However, like a sunburn, the damaging effects often don’t show up right away. It could be days later before the damage shows up. See #1 above!
4) Kids & the eclipse: Bottomline-- Just don’t. PLEASE don’t have them view it. Decades of permanent vision loss is what you’re up against.

Allow NASA take the pictures of the eclipse and view it safely on line or on TV. It is NOT worth risking your eyesight on this.

Sincerely,
Dr Patricia Fink.

Online imref

« Reply #13: August 20, 2017, 09:26:09 PM »
NASA's guide has some specific guidelines for using / evaluating glasses for those that have them

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/safety

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #14: August 20, 2017, 11:10:30 PM »
My workplace has bought 100 pairs of glasses* and we're having an outdoor social for 3 hours tomorrow.  Ice cream!  Snacks!  Why not?    :shrug:

*We have about 350 on site so there would have to be sharing.   
Um, your company is awesome :clap:

I'm taking a later lunch and walking a couple blocks from work to our AA baseball stadium, they're having a viewing party and you can run the bases during the eclipse! Ok I'm not running the bases but their concessions will be open so I'm totally getting a ballpark hot dog to enjoy whilst viewing  8)

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #15: August 20, 2017, 11:12:38 PM »
I'm in Columbia, SC; the most eclipsey part of the country. Not gonna actually look at it though. Don't have glasses. Huge tourism/business event for the city apparently. Over a million people came here to see it.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #16: August 20, 2017, 11:17:28 PM »
You don't need the glasses for the good part.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #17: August 20, 2017, 11:24:10 PM »
Eclipse Baseball!!!

Junior Diamondbacks at Junior Giants. The Hops (Young DBacks) beat the Volcanoes (young Giants) today. Perfect weather and if a Volcanoes pitcher gets a strikeout, draft beers are $3 for 15 minutes! NASA is onsite and will be there tomorrow as well. First pitch 9:35am! They'll play till it gets too dark then pause and let NASA take over. Should be about 2.5 minutes of totality here!

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #18: August 21, 2017, 12:28:20 AM »
dcpatti :w: ins the eclipse thread :lol:

Here's a tip for anyone still needing glasses :lmao:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #19: August 21, 2017, 08:16:24 AM »

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #20: August 21, 2017, 08:19:44 AM »
Dr. Patricia Fink Optometry
Yesterday at 4:27pm ·
Our office is receiving calls asking whether we are selling solar eclipse viewing glasses for the eclipse on Monday. I DO NOT recommend viewing the solar eclipse at all...regardless of glasses approved or not. It is not worth the risk. Here are a few points to consider.

1) Solar Retinopathy (aka PERMANENT vision loss) is possible if you view it incorrectly. It’s not fixable and can happen quickly without you having immediate symptoms. For real.
2) Stacking multiple pairs of regular (or in combination with prescription) sunglasses together is NOT safe. Not even close. Don’t do it.
3) Your retina (what you see with in the back of your eye) does NOT have pain receptors, so this won’t “hurt” like a sunburn. However, like a sunburn, the damaging effects often don’t show up right away. It could be days later before the damage shows up. See #1 above!
4) Kids & the eclipse: Bottomline-- Just don’t. PLEASE don’t have them view it. Decades of permanent vision loss is what you’re up against.

Allow NASA take the pictures of the eclipse and view it safely on line or on TV. It is NOT worth risking your eyesight on this.

Sincerely,
Dr Patricia Fink.

On the other hand, apparently if you're in the zone for full eclipse, it is safe to view it with the naked eye for that full period only and the sight is said to be quite amazing.

But don't be so stressed out about eye safety that you miss the dramatic event known as totality. If you're lucky enough to be in the thin stretch of land across the country that is going to see a total solar eclipse, it's absolutely OK to look up with your naked eyes during the couple of minutes or so when the moon is completely covering the sun. In fact, it's more than OK.

"It is spectacularly beautiful, and there's nothing else like it," says Rick Fienberg, press officer for the American Astronomical Society, who has seen a dozen total solar eclipses. "It's kind of like falling in love. You can't describe what that is unless you've experienced it."

When the sun completely blinks out, the safety glasses can come off so that you can enjoy the view of the sun's otherworldly corona and the eerie daytime darkness. But the instant a sliver of sun starts to re-emerge, he says, those glasses need to go back on if you want to keep watching.

"Going through life without seeing a total eclipse of the sun would be like going through life without ever falling in love," says Fienberg. "It would be a terrible shame not to have that fundamental, wonderful experience."

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2017/08/18/543745409/be-smart-a-partial-eclipse-can-fry-your-naked-eyes

Offline mitlen

« Reply #21: August 21, 2017, 08:53:08 AM »
I just prepared my cardboard box   ....   piece of white paper in one end and a P4 screwdriver hole in the other.    Took it out for a test run and I'm good to go.

Online imref

« Reply #22: August 21, 2017, 09:26:19 AM »
Line-ups are out:

Earth
Moon
Sun

Offline mitlen

« Reply #23: August 21, 2017, 09:38:13 AM »
More stuff   ....   start time:

http://www.wusa9.com/news/eclipse/when-is-the-exact-time-youll-see-the-eclipse-in-dc/465829690

Brother in law told me that during the last (partial) eclipse, he was golfing with some older relatives in W. PA.    I responded that every time I golf there's an eclipse.   

:rimshot:

Might as well play in the dark.   :smh:    Got me to wondering if the local courses have an eclipse special.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #24: August 21, 2017, 11:35:17 AM »
Eclipse Baseball!!!

Junior Diamondbacks at Junior Giants. The Hops (Young DBacks) beat the Volcanoes (young Giants) today. Perfect weather and if a Volcanoes pitcher gets a strikeout, draft beers are $3 for 15 minutes! NASA is onsite and will be there tomorrow as well. First pitch 9:35am! They'll play till it gets too dark then pause and let NASA take over. Should be about 2.5 minutes of totality here!

'Eclipse' was also, from 1882-84, the name of Louisville's entry in the American Association (changed name after that to Colonels and continued under that name into the National League) - named, I think, after the famous late-18th-century thoroughbred of that name. The club folded in after the 1899 season when the NL cut back from 12 clubs to 8 (along with Washington, Cleveland and Baltimore).