Author Topic: Nationals vs Angels, Game 1  (Read 5857 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: Nationals vs Angels, Game 1
« Reply #50: August 15, 2017, 07:25:06 PM »
Angels hitting their pitcher 8th?

Yep, Scioscia's channeling Maddon.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #51: August 15, 2017, 07:25:55 PM »
Yes, but he became a Nat in 2012. They did not have a ton of prior match ups in the same division. That simply isn't possible.

I gave you the best I had...  ;)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #52: August 15, 2017, 07:26:42 PM »
Sabermetrics says it's the best spot for the pitcher and some logic says that as well.

But what does Dusty's gut tell him?

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #53: August 15, 2017, 07:27:15 PM »
Sabermetrics says it's the best spot for the pitcher and some logic says that as well.

:lmao: come one dude, this is one of many things that make the stat geeks sound like complete clowns

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #54: August 15, 2017, 07:29:02 PM »
22 pitches to get through 2 innings?  Who are you and what have you done with Gio Gonzalez? :shock:

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #55: August 15, 2017, 07:30:05 PM »
22 pitches to get through 2 innings?  Who are you and what have you done with Gio Gonzalez? :shock:

Ha!!

(Same thing I thought...nine pitches in the second?? Not our Gio)

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #56: August 15, 2017, 07:30:09 PM »

:lmao: come one dude, this is one of many things that make the stat geeks sound like complete clowns
Not really.  Sabermetrics argues that your best hitter should be hitting first.  As the game goes on, you want better players hitting in front of your best hitter so batting the pitcher 8th creates a degree of separation between your worst hitter and your best, giving him more RBI opportunities.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #57: August 15, 2017, 07:30:49 PM »

I have my autographed photo on the end table with Dmitri Young, Roark, Z'nn, etc.   It's karma man.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #58: August 15, 2017, 07:32:24 PM »
I have my autographed photo on the end table...

:thumbs:

Offline Slateman

« Reply #59: August 15, 2017, 07:32:30 PM »
The Angels are not good

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #60: August 15, 2017, 07:34:13 PM »
Bryce gets hurt and Anthony gets woke :clap:

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #61: August 15, 2017, 07:34:14 PM »
Tony!

Offline spidernat

« Reply #62: August 15, 2017, 07:35:52 PM »
Not really.  Sabermetrics argues that your best hitter should be hitting first.  As the game goes on, you want better players hitting in front of your best hitter so batting the pitcher 8th creates a degree of separation between your worst hitter and your best, giving him more RBI opportunities.

So to improve the odds even more they should bat the 3rd hole hitter 9th so that as the game goes on.... :crackup:

It's hilarious how those geeks come up with so much bullcrap and their parrots go around repeating the crap thinking they sound so knowledgeable.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #63: August 15, 2017, 07:39:03 PM »
Is the real MAT back?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #64: August 15, 2017, 07:39:26 PM »
Is the real MAT back?

Did he go back 'round the corner?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #65: August 15, 2017, 07:39:44 PM »
Anybody else notice the Marines weren't at the games when it rained but they fill the whole row when the weather's nice.    :)    Are they officers?    That's why.

(Seriously though, I'm havin' a hard time makin' out the unis.)

Offline Slateman

« Reply #66: August 15, 2017, 07:40:29 PM »

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #67: August 15, 2017, 07:42:03 PM »

So to improve the odds even more they should bat the 3rd hole hitter 9th so that as the game goes on.... :crackup:

It's hilarious how those geeks come up with so much bullcrap and their parrots go around repeating the crap thinking they sound so knowledgeable.
At UVA, I was a math major and I can tell you that with a dataset as big as baseball outcomes, regressive models to determine the best set of outcomes should be considered highly reliable.  This stuff isn't just made up out of thin air.  It's based on an absolute ton of data and mathematical regression which essentially "boils down" the sample set that leads to the best outcomes in the long run.  Hitting your best hitter first and the pitcher 8th leads to more runs than batting him 3rd with the pitcher 9th because over a long season your best hitter gets plenty more plate appearances, as does your second best hitter in the 2 hole.

EDIT:  Another way to look at it is that the mathematics say that it is better to have your best hitter hit more often than to try to manufacture more RBI opportunities for him.  However, manufacturing is valuable enough to where it is worth putting a real hitter in front of your best hitter at the expense of moving your pitcher up one spot in the lineup.  It's essentially a mathematical analysis of the value of getting more PA's for your best hitter versus the value of attempting to manufacture more RBI opportunities for that hitter using the lineup.  There isn't 0 value in that manufacturing but it is a LOT less valuable than having your best hitters hit more often and that makes sense.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #68: August 15, 2017, 07:42:48 PM »
At UVA, I was a math major and I can tell you that with a dataset as big as baseball outcomes, regressive models to determine the best set of outcomes should be considered highly reliable.  This stuff isn't just made up out of thin air.  It's based on an absolute ton of data and mathematical regression which essentially "boils down" the sample set that leads to the best outcomes in the long run.  Hitting your best hitter first and the pitcher 8th leads to more runs than batting him 3rd with the pitcher 9th because over a long season your best hitter gets plenty more plate appearances, as does your second best hitter in the 2 hole.

Huh?      :)

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #69: August 15, 2017, 07:44:40 PM »

Geez...they'll let anyone into UVA...  ;)

Offline mitlen

« Reply #70: August 15, 2017, 07:45:08 PM »
James Madison Dukes in the house.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #71: August 15, 2017, 07:45:39 PM »

Not me.     Only because I didn't apply.     :)

Offline spidernat

« Reply #72: August 15, 2017, 07:47:21 PM »

EDIT:  Another way to look at it is that the mathematics say that it is better to have your best hitter hit more often than to try to manufacture more RBI opportunities for him.  However, manufacturing is valuable enough to where it is worth putting a real hitter in front of your best hitter at the expense of moving your pitcher up one spot in the lineup.  It's essentially a mathematical analysis of the value of getting more PA's for your best hitter versus the value of attempting to manufacture more RBI opportunities for that hitter using the lineup.  There isn't 0 value in that manufacturing but it is a LOT less valuable than having your best hitters hit more often and that makes sense.

I stopped reading Coladar a couple years ago. :poke:

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #73: August 15, 2017, 07:49:01 PM »
Based on the fact that I didn't ever graduate, I'm sure they stand by their decision :P

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #74: August 15, 2017, 07:49:05 PM »
But baseball is a team game and the team may benefit from best hitters RBI number instead of best hitter getting to bat most often