Author Topic: Wrigley Field  (Read 477 times)

Offline Natsinpwc

Wrigley Field
« Topic Start: August 06, 2017, 05:50:45 PM »
Saturday was my first game ever at Wrigley Field. Here are a few notes on the trip. Some of these may not be relevant to your trip up there but what the hey--it's my thread.

I bought my ticket on Stub Hub Thursday night--only found two tickets at $100 in the first level; and that was before the fees.  Of course it was a weekend game and they had some single seats available on the team web site.  However where I purchased down the left field line the team website was $179 before the cook county tax and other fees.  I noticed in looking at their web site Monday's game in that area are $79 on the team web site.  So, like most places you will pay much more on weekends and for prime games.  In the end I paid $125 after the fees in section 101--row 7 but the seat was only about 3 rows from the wall where I sat.  Guy next to me said maybe someone in front of us was in the Bartman seat but it was a big drop to the field so Bartman was in a closer section.

If you are going up and staying in Chi-town than you will probably take the subway from downtown.  Since I was driving back part way I used the free Cubs parking lot which is about 2.5 miles from Wrigley.  Not too far off of I-90.  Off of Irving Park--3900 North Rockwell is the address.  Got there early and caught the first shuttle which leaves 2 and 1/2 hours before game time.  Since I arrived before the gates opened I wandered around for a while and then went into the Cubby Bear bar which is across from the home plate entrance.  Found one Nats fan there to talk with.  From Chicago originally but a White Sox fan and now works in DC.  He said people has been at the bar and drinking from 10:30 local time.  We chatted a bit and turns out he lives in Prince William County and is moving not far from our home there.  Small world.

Went in when the gates opened and watched batting practice from the left field wall.  Most of the Nats were on the other side since that is where their dugout is.  The guys flagging fly balls on my side were Andrew Stevenson at first and then Sammy Solis and Matt Grace.  Cubs fans had no idea who they were.  Ball was hit into the corner and I yelled, "Sammy you need to hustle more." He smiled and looked up.  Tossed me the ball--intercepted by a Cubs fan who handed it to me.  Nice guy--lives in North Carolina and comes up for a week each summer.. We talked baseball and he said the day before Adam Lind's mom and dad sat behind him.  Nice folks he said were from Indiana and thrilled about seeing him at Wrigley (I assume he played there before when he was with the Brewers?). Went over to the Nats side to see if maybe I could get an autograph on the ball but was too late.  Got Kolko's attention as he was getting ready to tape a feature--gave each other the thumbs up.

It was good to get there early and get food and beer at that time.  Once the game started the concourse was a total zoo. I saw about 20 people lined up in one spot to put condiments on their dogs. Crazy.  I did take it on during the game -- got a beef sandwich from Buono's.  Was good.  It seemed that most of the food places I had read about were restricted to the Bleacher sections which were off limits to the rest of us.  Pork and Mindy, Giordano's Pizza and Hot Doug's Dogs were the ones I had my eye on but could not find.  I realized that rather than wading through the concourse going back to my seat you just walk into the seating and you can walk between the 100 and 200 level seats all the way from RF to LF.  Much easier.

The bleacher seats look like lots of fun but they were almost as much money as the actual seat I sat in.  The rooftop seats seem just ridiculous. No way to see much from there without binoculars. 

You get a first time certificate that looks like a ticket if you go up the stairs to the first landing on the LF side.  It was very crowded before the game but they stay there all game.  I went at about the third inning and the line was much shorter.  Met Clark the Cub mascot there--asked if he was named after the candy bar and he gave me the stink eye.  Named for Clark Street which runs by the stadium.

One of the ushers told me there was somewhere to go and see the World Series trophy but didn't do that.  Nice guy--he told me there was a phone charging station last year sponsored by Amtrak but Amtrak pulled out and the team closed it down.  He said the owners don't anything at the park that doesn't make them money.  He said all the employees got team replica world series rings that are supposedly valued at $300/400.  He said they had to sign some sort of agreement promising not to sell.  He told me last year was his first year working at the stadium.  I told him he was the one who broke the curse and should get a big raise.

The shuttle bus back to parking was uneventful--it's school buses with no A/C so don;t expect much if you take it.  I believe they only run it for weekend and weeknight games (no day games during the week).  Runs for two hours after the game so you do have time to get something to eat after the game and still catch it.

The drive up and back went Ok except that many people there do not seem to know that when you go through the toll booths the ones that say easy pass only are really easy pass only.  Got stuck behind some morons that didn't figure that out going both ways.  On the way back the guy was trying to slide his credit card in something that wasn't a card taker.  He rang the bell but no one came--had to back up which was dangerous. 

Until driving to Wrigley I did not know that the White Sox stadium is right off the highway--perhaps they were afraid if further away people would be too scared in South Chicago. If they had been in town I might have taken in a game there also.

The Gary Rail Cats independent league team is also right off the highway and looked like they had just started a game; if I hadn't had a few beers I may have taken the game in.  As it was I stayed in beautiful downtown Hebron Indiana (just kidding as there is no downtown).  I wondered why prices were so high and mostly filled up and then heard that Lollapalooza Chicago was this weekend. 

All in all it was a great experience.  Definitely happy to cross that one off the bucket list.

Offline varoadking

Re: Wrigley Field
« Reply #1: August 06, 2017, 06:23:56 PM »
The drive up and back went Ok except that many people there do not seem to know that when you go through the toll booths the ones that say easy pass only are really easy pass only.  Got stuck behind some morons that didn't figure that out going both ways.

Pennsylvania plates?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #2: August 06, 2017, 07:01:15 PM »
Pennsylvania plates?
No no.  On the way up it was a UHaul truck so not sure although someone was blocking the next lane also.  I think they were all together--morons following morons.  On the way back the guy had Illinois plates.   :hysterical:

Offline varoadking

« Reply #3: August 06, 2017, 07:12:41 PM »
No no.  On the way up it was a UHaul truck so not sure although someone was blocking the next lane also.  I think they were all together--morons following morons.  On the way back the guy had Illinois plates.   :hysterical:

Must have been a Cubs fan...

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #4: August 06, 2017, 08:21:07 PM »
pwc, appreciate the detailed and thoughtful report.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #5: August 06, 2017, 08:30:49 PM »
pwc, appreciate the detailed and thoughtful report.
You're welcome.  I had 4 or 5 beers.  So it all could be fake news.   :mg:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #6: August 06, 2017, 08:33:58 PM »
You're welcome.  I had 4 or 5 beers.  So it all could be fake news.   :mg:

Well, you can be forgiven if the lines were so long you weren't able to get in your normal quota.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #7: August 06, 2017, 08:55:06 PM »
I do approve of the "freak catsup" hot dog policy.   

Offline varoadking

« Reply #8: August 06, 2017, 09:00:24 PM »

:clap:

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #9: August 06, 2017, 09:01:48 PM »
Well, you can be forgiven if the lines were so long you weren't able to get in your normal quota.
:hysterical:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #10: August 06, 2017, 09:02:12 PM »
Sorry, but catsup and mustard get along great on a dog.  Just a tablespoon of relish and chopped onions, and you're there.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #11: August 06, 2017, 09:02:41 PM »
They had ketchup (or catsup) but promise I didn't put any on my dog.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #12: August 06, 2017, 09:11:20 PM »
I'd have thought that they'd be searching bags and making the rounds with sniffer dogs looking for that crap.
They had ketchup (or catsup) but promise I didn't put any on my dog.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #13: August 07, 2017, 12:03:02 AM »
Pennsylvania plates?

Hey, I have Pennsylvania plates!  :mg:

Too bad I learned to drive in Jersey. I use my blinker, but also yell at you when I'm wrong!

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #14: August 07, 2017, 09:40:23 AM »
Well done sir.   :clap:

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #15: August 07, 2017, 11:13:55 AM »

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #16: August 07, 2017, 01:21:52 PM »
Until driving to Wrigley I did not know that the White Sox stadium is right off the highway--perhaps they were afraid if further away people would be too scared in South Chicago. If they had been in town I might have taken in a game there also.

The White Sox stadium was at that site long before the highway existed: the corner of 35th Street and Shields on the south side of Chicago was home to both Comiskey Park and Guaranteed Rate Field and has had more consecutive years of MLB baseball than any other intersection in America. The White Sox stadium is surrounded by parking lots but they are notoriously expensive: thankfully two El lines (Green and Red) stop within a few blocks of the stadium.

Public transit remains the best way to get to either MLB stadium in Chicago, but I wouldn't want to stay in downtown Chicago during Lolla either so I don't blame you for driving up from Indiana.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #17: August 07, 2017, 02:02:01 PM »
The White Sox stadium was at that site long before the highway existed: the corner of 35th Street and Shields on the south side of Chicago was home to both Comiskey Park and Guaranteed Rate Field and has had more consecutive years of MLB baseball than any other intersection in America. The White Sox stadium is surrounded by parking lots but they are notoriously expensive: thankfully two El lines (Green and Red) stop within a few blocks of the stadium.

Public transit remains the best way to get to either MLB stadium in Chicago, but I wouldn't want to stay in downtown Chicago during Lolla either so I don't blame you for driving up from Indiana.
Ok. I guess I had never driven that direction before so was unaware the stadiums had always been there. Actually drive up all morning from Cincy but then stayed in Indiana on the way back. Stopped by Purdue University also on the way back for a short stroll around the campus.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #18: August 07, 2017, 02:10:33 PM »
There's actually a marble plaque in the plaza at Guaranteed Rate Field that marks where the Comiskey home plate used to be. I believe they did a lot of the construction on the new park while the old park was still in use because there's such a short construction season in Chicago (winter deep freeze).

Personally I liked Guaranteed Rate  (still USCellular when I visited) better than Wrigley. Yeah I know that makes me a heathen but the super long rows at Wrigley make me feel really claustrophobic, the chairs have no leg room and everything kinda smells like pee. UScellular may be a lot more generic but it was more comfortable. Bonus points for not being full of Cubs fans. The firework pinwheels on the scoreboard were cool.

Offline varoadking

« Reply #19: August 07, 2017, 02:14:28 PM »
Bonus points for not being full of Cubs fans.

That's what kinda smells like pee...  :hysterical:

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #20: August 07, 2017, 02:15:40 PM »

That's what kinda smells like pee...  :hysterical:

Only when they open their mouths :D

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #21: August 07, 2017, 02:16:43 PM »
There's actually a marble plaque in the plaza at Guaranteed Rate Field that marks where the Comiskey home plate used to be. I believe they did a lot of the construction on the new park while the old park was still in use because there's such a short construction season in Chicago (winter deep freeze).

Personally I liked Guaranteed Rate  (still USCellular when I visited) better than Wrigley. Yeah I know that makes me a heathen but the super long rows at Wrigley make me feel really claustrophobic, the chairs have no leg room and everything kinda smells like pee. UScellular may be a lot more generic but it was more comfortable. Bonus points for not being full of Cubs fans. The firework pinwheels on the scoreboard were cool.
I didn't notice the smell at Wrigkey. But I have bad sinuses. I actually expected the bathrooms to be in worse shape. They just have renovated them recently. No bricks fell on my head either.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #22: August 07, 2017, 04:04:35 PM »
Growing up in Chicago as a White Sox fan, we always referred to the Cubs stadium as "The Urinal" because of the well documented bathroom issues. The new ownership group seems to have really renovated the stadium, I hear it's as nice as Fenway Park now. (I always thought Fenway was a how-to guide in how to preserve an ancient stadium while keeping the amenities modern).

Offline varoadking

« Reply #23: August 07, 2017, 04:06:20 PM »
Growing up in Chicago as a White Sox fan, we always referred to the Cubs stadium as "The Urinal" because of the well documented bathroom issues. The new ownership group seems to have really renovated the stadium, I hear it's as nice as Fenway Park now. (I always thought Fenway was a how-to guide in how to preserve an ancient stadium while keeping the amenities modern).

FedEx Field and Wrigley are on a par.  Both are dumps...