Author Topic: Soccer 2017/18  (Read 33264 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: Soccer 2017/18
« Reply #125: November 17, 2017, 07:53:02 AM »
The mls wants to encourage teams to use and develop American players- skipping the break seems like a good way to reward those teams

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #126: November 17, 2017, 08:03:46 AM »
The mls wants to encourage teams to use and develop American players- skipping the break seems like a good way to reward those teams

True.  Soccer really is catching on with this generation of kids.  I have a feeling that 20 years from now we'll see a lot more American soccer players in the pro leagues.

Edit:  Though, I do appreciate that a lot of Central and South American players come to play here too instead of in Europe.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #127: November 17, 2017, 08:07:02 AM »
There are a few players out there (most didn't make it this far int he playoffs though).  Plus, isn't Argentina and Brazil in the World Cup?  There are a bunch of players in the MLS from Argentina.
are they playing for Argentina's WC selection?  Anyone that good for Brazil and the Argies play MLS?  I thought they got guys who were looking to stay active in retirement and not top tier players outside North America.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #128: November 17, 2017, 08:10:42 AM »
True.  Soccer really is catching on with this generation of kids.  I have a feeling that 20 years from now we'll see a lot more American soccer players in the pro leagues.

Edit:  Though, I do appreciate that a lot of Central and South American players come to play here too instead of in Europe.
I don’t think the mls gets competive with European leagues unless they drastically change their structure. Their primary concern is limiting player pay- why deal with that if you’re good enough to not have to

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #129: November 17, 2017, 08:13:30 AM »
are they playing for Argentina's WC selection?  Anyone that good for Brazil and the Argies play MLS?  I thought they got guys who were looking to stay active in retirement and not top tier players outside North America.
I don’t think the mls gets competive with European leagues unless they drastically change their structure. Their primary concern is limiting player pay- why deal with that if you’re good enough to not have to

Both good points.  I admit that I don't know enough about salary structures of the MLS (let alone the Euro leagues) to have any valid points.

Just venting!

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #130: November 17, 2017, 08:38:18 AM »
Just got my ticket for Chelsea vs Swansea on the 29th (used to go there just about annually but in recent years tickets have been about as easy to get as Led Zeppelin concert tickets back in the 70's - this'll be my first visit there since 2013).

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #131: November 17, 2017, 09:18:27 AM »
Were you at the Chelski/Roma friendly at RFK a few years back?  I generally avoid those euro shakedowns when they are at places like FedEx, but I'm always up for RFK.  I can't recall for the life of me who "won", but it was fun yelling at John Terry. 
Just got my ticket for Chelsea vs Swansea on the 29th (used to go there just about annually but in recent years tickets have been about as easy to get as Led Zeppelin concert tickets back in the 70's - this'll be my first visit there since 2013).

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #132: November 17, 2017, 09:58:28 AM »
Were you at the Chelski/Roma friendly at RFK a few years back?  I generally avoid those euro shakedowns when they are at places like FedEx, but I'm always up for RFK.  I can't recall for the life of me who "won", but it was fun yelling at John Terry. 

Wasn't there myself but the full-time score was 2-1 in favour of Chelsea.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #133: December 19, 2017, 02:59:29 PM »
MLS posted all the home openers for next season.

Also covered was that they've got more expansion next year:  LAFC.

There's rumor that we've got another on the way.  That's 24 teams. Now, I love soccer and I really do like the MLS, but they added two teams last year (Minnesota and Atlanta) and now another two teams?  I'm concerned that MLS is going to hemorrhage like the NHL did after all they expansion of the 1990's.  I love growth, but I'd rather see the clubs all be healthy and thriving before we just start adding tons of teams.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #134: December 19, 2017, 03:06:19 PM »
Seems applicable https://deadspin.com/is-mls-a-ponzi-scheme-1797509617 When a major revenue source is expansion, you’ll have expansion - I wonder if Columbus will get a team

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #135: December 19, 2017, 03:12:46 PM »
Nashville is getting a team. Announcement likely tomorrow.

The MLS is run terribly but I want Nashville to get a team so they can build a fancy new stadium and lots of new restaurants/apartments/bars near my house, raising my home value :stir:

(also I want a team because I enjoy soccer)

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #136: December 19, 2017, 03:17:28 PM »
Seems applicable https://deadspin.com/is-mls-a-ponzi-scheme-1797509617 When a major revenue source is expansion, you’ll have expansion

Yeah that article pretty much articulates (better than I could do) what my fears are.  I actually enjoy watching the MLS and had the best experience I've ever had at a pro sporting event when I took my son to Philly for their match against the Sounders.  But this can't be good.  When you're trying to attract talent and grow your league on the world stage, spreading out the talent and putting multiple teams in one city is just not the best way to handle it.  It's like they don't have any long-term plans . . .

I wonder if Columbus will get a team

Ohio?  Their home-opener is March 10th.  :shrug:

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #137: December 19, 2017, 03:22:47 PM »

Ohio?  Their home-opener is March 10th.  :shrug:

Unless something has changed, they’re on their way to Austin

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #138: December 19, 2017, 03:34:50 PM »
MLS posted all the home openers for next season.

Also covered was that they've got more expansion next year:  LAFC.

There's rumor that we've got another on the way.  That's 24 teams. Now, I love soccer and I really do like the MLS, but they added two teams last year (Minnesota and Atlanta) and now another two teams?  I'm concerned that MLS is going to hemorrhage like the NHL did after all they expansion of the 1990's.  I love growth, but I'd rather see the clubs all be healthy and thriving before we just start adding tons of teams.
It's a Ponzi scheme. The only way they can keep operating is to have new teams buy in.

https://deadspin.com/is-mls-a-ponzi-scheme-1797509617

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #139: December 19, 2017, 03:36:26 PM »
Seems applicable https://deadspin.com/is-mls-a-ponzi-scheme-1797509617 When a major revenue source is expansion, you’ll have expansion - I wonder if Columbus will get a team
Sorry. Missed you posting that.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #140: December 19, 2017, 04:59:54 PM »
I don't know  about PWC or HS, but it sure sounds like a Ponzi scheme (Boston boy made a name for himself!  A friend of mine used to sell real estate years later from the same building Ponzi had his offices in).

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #141: December 19, 2017, 05:00:45 PM »
I guess we're all suckers because most people I know are pumped about MLS coming to Nashville. A nice new stadium in on the old fairgrounds that'll make the whole area nicer, AND give our city a third professional team, in the time of year the city has NOTHING else going on sports-wise? (except AAA baseball) The soccer games here have been huge hits.

I think the MLS commish stinks and the MLS needs to be much smarter in how they run their league and allow owners who want to spend to spend (aka lure in good international talent).

The stadium deal isn't even that bad in terms of tax dollars and Nashville is probably the absolute best example of "a stadium deal combined with smart city and private planning can change an area for the better and provide the economic boost it is hoped to do"

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #142: December 19, 2017, 06:06:33 PM »
I don't know  about PWC or HS, but it sure sounds like a Ponzi scheme (Boston boy made a name for himself!  A friend of mine used to sell real estate years later from the same building Ponzi had his offices in).
They will just have to keep expanding forever.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #143: December 20, 2017, 05:46:25 PM »
Nashville officially gets a team. 8)

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #144: January 05, 2018, 09:17:09 AM »
MLS released full schedules yesterday.  Already working in a family trip to catch Seattle on the east coast and trying to take in a United match in the new digs.  :woop:

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #145: January 05, 2018, 10:52:33 AM »
MLS released full schedules yesterday.  Already working in a family trip to catch Seattle on the east coast and trying to take in a United match in the new digs.  :woop:

Official Audi Field home opener is 14th July vs Vancouver - the few United home fixtures prior to that date are still TBD as far as venue, and United's fixture list is very home-weighted in the latter half of the season: http://www.dcunited.com/post/2018/01/03/united-announce-audi-field-opener-and-34-game-mls-schedule

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #146: January 05, 2018, 01:25:13 PM »
Official Audi Field home opener is 14th July vs Vancouver - the few United home fixtures prior to that date are still TBD as far as venue, and United's fixture list is very home-weighted in the latter half of the season: http://www.dcunited.com/post/2018/01/03/united-announce-audi-field-opener-and-34-game-mls-schedule

George Wallace on Channel 4 had a nice screwup last night when he said United will open Audi Field against the "Vancouver Nightcaps."

Today's Post reports MLS insisted they play at least four home games prior to the stadium opening, United insisted they play none, so ultimately they compromised on two. Several reports saying they may play an MLS home game at the SoccerPlex. Rather surprising they'd go to such a small venue, but I guess their other options are just too limited. I thought it might be interesting if they gave a nod to DC soccer history and played a game at WT Woodson High in Fairfax because the Diplomats played an entire season there in 1976. I have no idea what the stadium capacity at Woodson is (even though I went to high school there—no doubt as a kid it felt bigger to me than it would now, and I haven't been into the stadium in at least 25 years).

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #147: January 05, 2018, 02:36:04 PM »
[...]Several reports saying they may play an MLS home game at the SoccerPlex. Rather surprising they'd go to such a small venue, but I guess their other options are just too limited.[...]

A further problem with the Soccerplex is its location - out in northern MoCo, miles from the nearest public transit and a pretty long yomp from most of the area even if you're driving. I wish the Spirit could move to Audi Field to get near a potentially larger and more accessible audience, but the wealthy MoCo soccer moms who seem to dominate the Spirit's supporter base (as they did the Freedom's) won't have any of it (or so it seems).

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #148: January 05, 2018, 07:26:40 PM »
George Wallace on Channel 4 had a nice screwup last night when he said United will open Audi Field against the "Vancouver Nightcaps."

Today's Post reports MLS insisted they play at least four home games prior to the stadium opening, United insisted they play none, so ultimately they compromised on two. Several reports saying they may play an MLS home game at the SoccerPlex. Rather surprising they'd go to such a small venue, but I guess their other options are just too limited. I thought it might be interesting if they gave a nod to DC soccer history and played a game at WT Woodson High in Fairfax because the Diplomats played an entire season there in 1976. I have no idea what the stadium capacity at Woodson is (even though I went to high school there—no doubt as a kid it felt bigger to me than it would now, and I haven't been into the stadium in at least 25 years).

Why not just play at UMD?  They don't seem to use their facilities for varsity sports anyway...  :couch:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #149: January 06, 2018, 11:33:30 AM »

I don't know if there's enough space for a field on the Mall, but it would be a heck of a publicity move to play there, playing for free.  Long Bridge Park has a nice field, too, but not that great stands.