Author Topic: Wilmer Difo  (Read 8987 times)

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Re: Wilmer Difo
« Reply #125: August 31, 2017, 02:35:49 PM »
This is where I disagree with FG. Look, is that slash line amazing? No. But it's certainly serviceable. His OPS puts him in the same realm as Xander Boaegarts and Trevor Story. His WRC+ is middle of the pack too.
Exactly. If he was hitting .280 as a singles hitter I understand a negative OWAR, but he has put some balls over the wall and has some steals. All I can think is his time in LF drives down his OWAR.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #126: August 31, 2017, 02:37:01 PM »
No, if Difo wins a job then Eaton shifts to center and Difo goes to left field. Difo will have to hit a heck of a lot better than Taylor to make that move realistic, but I can see it happening.

Put Difo at short, trade Turner to the Rays for Chris Archer.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #127: August 31, 2017, 03:40:53 PM »
I think it's probably just that offense has gone up so much the past couple of seasons. I think he certainly seems like a full-time player, and given Murphy's status I see no reason it can't be 2019 here, at 2B. Difo/Turner up the middle and at the top of the order has a ton of potential.
Did Eaton die?

Offline Leroy Veritas

« Reply #128: September 03, 2017, 04:54:53 PM »
Put Difo at short, trade Turner to the Rays for Chris Archer.

Difo at SS, Turner at 2B, trade Murphy for a good SP to prepare for Gio leaving after next season.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #129: September 03, 2017, 10:11:36 PM »
Difo at SS, Turner at 2B, trade Murphy for a good SP to prepare for Gio leaving after next season.

Gio leaving is not nearly as important as Harper and Murphy leaving. You either go all in next year, or build for the future. Either way, Murphy isn't getting you much in return.

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #130: September 05, 2017, 12:19:26 AM »
I think his defensive skills are better than Turner

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #131: September 05, 2017, 01:11:10 AM »
I think his defensive skills are better than Turner
Trea Turner has shown to be a solid to above average short stop in the minors and majors.

Wilmer Difo still has a limited sample size at short and has put up great defensive metrics and passes eye test.

I still think Trea Turner is the short stop since he plays every day and we don't want to move him around, but Wilmer Difo just making the question be asked who is better at the spot is a credit to him.

Offline whytev

« Reply #132: September 05, 2017, 08:04:19 AM »
Trea Turner has shown to be a solid to above average short stop in the minors and majors.

Wilmer Difo still has a limited sample size at short and has put up great defensive metrics and passes eye test.

I still think Trea Turner is the short stop since he plays every day and we don't want to move him around, but Wilmer Difo just making the question be asked who is better at the spot is a credit to him.

Difo has 484 career innings at SS. Turner has 641. Where is your line between small and not small sample sizes?

Offline Optics

« Reply #133: September 05, 2017, 11:40:48 AM »
Difo has surprised me. I didn't think he'd be more than just a guy but he's looking like he could be a quality starting infielder.

A Turner/Difo SS/2B combo from 2019 onwards will be fun to watch.

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #134: September 05, 2017, 12:56:46 PM »
Difo has 484 career innings at SS. Turner has 641. Where is your line between small and not small sample sizes?

Until Difo gets rid of that glove tap every groundball and just throws he is not a better SS then Turner.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #135: September 05, 2017, 01:08:55 PM »
:lmao:  The tap has cost the team 2 outs this season. I'm not saying those 2 outs are unimportant but people are making far too much out of it. Turner's jump has cost the team at least 1 out this season that I can recall. Both of these are quirks that need to be addressed but they are fixable. I would take Turner over Difo every time.

Offline whytev

« Reply #136: September 05, 2017, 01:09:28 PM »
Until Difo gets rid of that glove tap every groundball and just throws he is not a better SS then Turner.

Hi, F.P.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #137: September 05, 2017, 02:37:01 PM »
I admit I thought Difo had less innings than that there. I haven't watched them in the minors nor do I consider myself a scout, but I have read more saying Difo profiles more as a second baseman while Turner has always been lined up up at short.

I don't think there is a ton of difference in their defense, but since Turner has the higher offensive ceiling I think you slot him in every day at short stop and use Difo as your swing player.

Offline whytev

« Reply #138: September 05, 2017, 03:35:29 PM »
I admit I thought Difo had less innings than that there. I haven't watched them in the minors nor do I consider myself a scout, but I have read more saying Difo profiles more as a second baseman while Turner has always been lined up up at short.

I don't think there is a ton of difference in their defense, but since Turner has the higher offensive ceiling I think you slot him in every day at short stop and use Difo as your swing player.

I am going on record and saying I still don't think Difo is a starter on a playoff caliber team. Give him Espinosa's old job on the bench and let him be awesome when someone is injured. He can backup the whole team with his flexibility.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #139: September 05, 2017, 03:45:48 PM »
I am going on record and saying I still don't think Difo is a starter on a playoff caliber team. Give him Espinosa's old job on the bench and let him be awesome when someone is injured. He can backup the whole team with his flexibility.
Perhaps not this year as the Nats as a whole seem to choke offensively in the P.O. Yes I know we lost all 3 games to LA by one run and kicked ass against Kershaw. If we add an OF to take Werths place next year as someone here has wished Difo can play the super-sub role next year and slide into 2B if Murph is not re-signed for 2019. Also,what happened to Sanchez . He has not been brought up to the club as a Sept call -up?

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #140: September 05, 2017, 03:48:24 PM »
Perhaps not this year as the Nats as a whole seem to choke offensively in the P.O. Yes I know we lost all 3 games to LA by one run and kicked ass against Kershaw. If we add an OF to take Werths place next year as someone here has wished Difo can play the super-sub role next year and slide into 2B if Murph is not re-signed for 2019. Also,what happened to Sanchez . He has not been brought up to the club as a Sept call -up?

Sanchez is injured...

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #141: September 05, 2017, 06:02:40 PM »
:lmao:  The tap has cost the team 2 outs this season. I'm not saying those 2 outs are unimportant but people are making far too much out of it. Turner's jump has cost the team at least 1 out this season that I can recall. Both of these are quirks that need to be addressed but they are fixable. I would take Turner over Difo every time.

I am not talking about what it has cost in terms of outs but it is a fundamental thing that needs to be fixed. Turners jump throw is actually functional. He is not doing it as a quirk. when he goes to his right and has to make a play its easier for him to do that as fast as he is moving to get to throw there then trying to stop and gather. If you search on youtube he has a video talking about it. The glove tap has no purpose and makes alot of plays closer than they need to be.

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #142: September 05, 2017, 06:05:36 PM »
Sanchez is injured...
He should be back when we leave Miami. He played for Syracuse yesterday.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #143: September 05, 2017, 06:07:39 PM »
I am not talking about what it has cost in terms of outs but it is a fundamental thing that needs to be fixed.

No crap FP.

Turners jump throw is actually functional. He is not doing it as a quirk. when he goes to his right and has to make a play its easier for him to do that as fast as he is moving to get to throw there then trying to stop and gather.

He did yesterday going to his left. :rofl:

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #144: September 05, 2017, 06:32:35 PM »

No crap FP.

He did yesterday going to his left. :rofl:

Offline Leroy Veritas

« Reply #145: September 05, 2017, 07:22:19 PM »
Gio leaving is not nearly as important as Harper and Murphy leaving. You either go all in next year, or build for the future. Either way, Murphy isn't getting you much in return.

Murphy isn't that important either if you've already got Turner and Difo up the middle. Plenty of potential in the OF as well while having Scherzer and Stras locked down for a while as the 1-2 SP. Grab a guy who can replace Gio, let Gio go as a FA, and take the money saved from Gio and Murphy and use that savings to offer Harper crazy money.