Author Topic: Washington Capitals (2017-18)  (Read 78177 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Washington Capitals (2017-18)
« Reply #25: October 04, 2017, 12:35:01 PM »
We'll be able to listen to the Capitals collapse on WJFK this year

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #26: October 04, 2017, 06:09:46 PM »
ESPN has the Caps third in their preseason power rankings, behind Penguins and Oilers.

Even disregarding the last decade of playoff disappointments, I'm not sure how you can justify Caps that high.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #27: October 04, 2017, 10:22:58 PM »
oilers/leafs in the finals would be a great subplot.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #28: October 04, 2017, 10:42:03 PM »
ESPN has the Caps third in their preseason power rankings, behind Penguins and Oilers.

Even disregarding the last decade of playoff disappointments, I'm not sure how you can justify Caps that high.

They kept most of the nucleus in tact of a team that took the eventual Stanley Cup champs to 7 games.  Given their regular season performance, it seems about right.

Not that they'll go anywhere in the playoffs, but another Presidents' Trophy isn't out of the question.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #29: October 04, 2017, 11:11:57 PM »
I would like to share this (relative) optimism, but when your blueliners are all either eligible for Medicare or still nursing, the goalies are going to have to develop supernatural abilities just to keep the team in contention for an 8th seed.     
They kept most of the nucleus in tact of a team that took the eventual Stanley Cup champs to 7 games. 

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #31: October 05, 2017, 08:55:25 AM »
I would like to share this (relative) optimism, but when your blueliners are all either eligible for Medicare or still nursing...

Nobody turns a phrase like AtBC...  :clap:

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #32: October 05, 2017, 08:56:32 AM »
https://www.russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2017/10/04/seven-ways-everything-go-wrong-washington-capitals-year/

This article is like the iceberg the Titanic hit...it only gave you the 10% that everyone can see.  Well, everyone but the Captain...

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #34: October 05, 2017, 10:33:21 AM »

I agree, but on paper, this team is still really good at the top. Ovy, Backstrom, Oshie & Kuznetsov is as good as any top 4 F in the league and Niskanen, Orlov & Carlson are all good, and Holtby is a Vezina guy. So there's reason to expect the team to be good.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #35: October 05, 2017, 01:15:40 PM »
I agree, but on paper, this team is still really good at the top. Ovy, Backstrom, Oshie & Kuznetsov is as good as any top 4 F in the league and Niskanen, Orlov & Carlson are all good, and Holtby is a Vezina guy. So there's reason to expect the team to be good.
Agree. However other non playoff teams in the East have gotten better so it could be a tough race all the way.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #36: October 05, 2017, 01:48:39 PM »
Agree. However other non playoff teams in the East have gotten better so it could be a tough race all the way.
Pretty sure you mean future playoff teams, no?

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #37: October 05, 2017, 02:21:46 PM »
VaRK or other hockey people,

Can you give me a Weekly Reader synopsis of what to look for tonight?

Thanks,
mitlen

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #38: October 05, 2017, 02:32:30 PM »
VaRK or other hockey people,

Can you give me a Weekly Reader synopsis of what to look for tonight?

Thanks,
mitlen

A 3-0 Caps shutout loss...  ;)

As I see it:

1.  Is Ovi engaged on offense and defense?  I get a sense he's gonna mope this season given the past 2 years and the Olympic decision...
2.  Can the defense clear the puck to the forwards at center ice, or do they get bogged down.
3.  Who is winning the race to the puck in the corners...and related,
4.  Are the Caps simply dumping and chasing, or can they enter the offensive zone with puck control on the rush.
5.  Most importantly...can Holtby be effective with the limited defensive support he is likely to get.  No Alzner and no Schmidty is a significant loss on the blue line.

I expect Niskanen to be the most outstanding player in every aspect of the game...he has been quite often.  The Caps top 6 forwards haven't shown they are in the game yet, and the defense could all look like Carlson does...aside from Niskanen.

Senators are a really good team...I might just focus on what they are doing well rather than what the Caps are not.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #39: October 05, 2017, 02:35:00 PM »

As I see it:

1.  Is Ovi engaged on offense and defense?  I get a sense he's gonna mope this season given the past 2 years and the Olympic decision...
2.  Can the defense clear the puck to the forwards at center ice, or do they get bogged down.
4.  Are the Caps simply dumping and chasing, or can they enter the offensive zone with puck control on the rush.
5.  Most importantly...can Holtby be effective with the limited defensive support he is likely to get.  No Alzner and no Schmidty is a significant loss on the blue line.

I expect Niskanen to be the most outstanding player in every aspect of the game...he has been quite often.  The Caps top 6 forwards haven't shown they are in the game yet, and the defense could all look like Carlson does...aside from Niskanen.

Senators are a really good team...I might just focus on what they are doing well rather than what the Caps are not.

Thanks.   I heard on 106.7 that Vrana is on the roster.    I thought he was pretty capable.   

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #40: October 05, 2017, 02:52:00 PM »

As I see it:

I'm rooting for Carlson. Just because guys don't like him. And he's 'Merican.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #41: October 05, 2017, 02:52:59 PM »
I'm rooting for Carlson. Just because guys don't like him.

:couch:

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #42: October 05, 2017, 03:09:40 PM »
:couch:
If he turns like this on the Nats next year it won't be pretty. Even Tanner may not be spared.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #43: October 05, 2017, 03:14:13 PM »
If he turns like this on the Nats next year it won't be pretty. Even Tanner may not be spared.

Roark is on thin ice...

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #44: October 05, 2017, 03:16:18 PM »
http://www.nbcsports.com/washington/washington-capitals/six-bold-predictions-caps-season

Been looking around various predictions and power rankings on line. One thing for sure is that the experts are all over the place on many teams. And no one really seems to know what will happen in any given NHL year.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #45: October 05, 2017, 03:17:10 PM »
Roark is on thin ice...
He's already dead to me.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #46: October 05, 2017, 03:26:00 PM »
http://www.nbcsports.com/washington/washington-capitals/six-bold-predictions-caps-season

Been looking around various predictions and power rankings on line. One thing for sure is that the experts are all over the place on many teams. And no one really seems to know what will happen in any given NHL year.

El-Bashir is a freaking gas bag.  Amazing that someone can get paid to follow a team as their only job and be so bad at it.

I like Regan...he's pretty well balanced...and he got 2 out of 3 right on his predictions...

Offline mitlen

« Reply #47: October 05, 2017, 03:28:08 PM »
El-Bashir is a freaking gas bag.  Amazing that someone can get paid to follow a team as their only job and be so bad at it.

I like Regan...he's pretty well balanced...and he got 2 out of 3 right on his predictions...

El-Bashir SSS

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #48: October 05, 2017, 03:29:56 PM »

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #49: October 05, 2017, 03:32:43 PM »
El-Bashir SSS
VARK joined the Legion of Doom.

I think the Caps will make the playoffs. And get bounced in the second round again. It's what they do.

More excited about the Flyers. However they still seem determined to play some of the dead wood rather than moving on totally to the young guys. Maybe the Caps would like to pick up Andrew MacDonald and his contract?  Anytime you think Carlson is bad just imagine that guy and how much worse it could be.