Author Topic: Brandon Kintzler - Rental Closer?  (Read 3567 times)

Offline whytev

Re: Brandon Kintzler - Rental Closer?
« Reply #50: August 04, 2017, 07:33:26 PM »
Dusty seems committed to using Doolittle as the closer.

It Madson really isn't comfortable doing it, I'm fine with this.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51: August 04, 2017, 10:12:22 PM »

From everything I’ve read, it seems that he isn’t comfortable doing it. I’d hate for us to force him to prove to us he’s telling the truth.

Offline Expos

« Reply #52: August 04, 2017, 10:13:37 PM »
7th- Kintzler
8th- Madson
9th- Doolittle

Can't get much better than that!

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #53: August 04, 2017, 10:14:55 PM »
I skipped the gdt thread today because I was out golfing, but came home and watched. 

Madson is by far our best relief pitcher and the gem of the new bullpen guys.  I don't know if it is self-fulfilling prophecy, wanting to prove the advanced statheads wrong, voodoo, or what, but it seems like once you start messing with relief pitchers' roles, they fall apart.    Can Madson be an Andrew Miller type guy if he's not going to be our closer? Would that make everyone happy and comfortable? 

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54: August 04, 2017, 10:18:08 PM »
I skipped the gdt thread today because I was out golfing, but came home and watched. 

Madson is by far our best relief pitcher and the gem of the new bullpen guys.  I don't know if it is self-fulfilling prophecy, wanting to prove the advanced statheads wrong, voodoo, or what, but it seems like once you start messing with relief pitchers' roles, they fall apart.    Can Madson be an Andrew Miller type guy if he's not going to be our closer? Would that make everyone happy and comfortable?

I definitely think Madson can be the fireman Miller type reliever.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #55: August 04, 2017, 10:53:51 PM »
Okay, fine. Use Kintzler. Use him in a CLEAN inning.

Let Doolittle and Madson rotate depending on the lineup. But by making Doolittle the closer without a second thought, you're eliminating your best (and really only) reliable lefty from high leverage situations in the 7th and 8th.

Offline Expos

« Reply #56: August 04, 2017, 11:25:42 PM »
Okay, fine. Use Kintzler. Use him in a CLEAN inning.

Let Doolittle and Madson rotate depending on the lineup. But by making Doolittle the closer without a second thought, you're eliminating your best (and really only) reliable lefty from high leverage situations in the 7th and 8th.

Screw that. Givw the guys roles. Let the 3 guys go out, own THEIR innings and dominate the 7th, 8th and 9th.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57: August 04, 2017, 11:28:50 PM »
Screw that. Givw the guys roles. Let the 3 guys go out, own THEIR innings and dominate the 7th, 8th and 9th.

No, No,No.  use your best pitchers in highest leverage situations. If it occurs in the 6th, Bring one of them in. If it’s in the 8th, so be it. Use them then.

Offline Expos

« Reply #58: August 05, 2017, 01:39:17 AM »
No, No,No.  use your best pitchers in highest leverage situations. If it occurs in the 6th, Bring one of them in. If it’s in the 8th, so be it. Use them then.

Says who? Ball players need roles.

You didn't see Hoffman or Rivera trotting out in the 7th

Offline Ray D

« Reply #59: August 05, 2017, 07:48:17 AM »
Maybe the 8th.  In the sixth you don't know what the highest leverage situation will be over the course of the rest of the game.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #60: August 05, 2017, 12:33:23 PM »
I think Kintzler will end up closing but Doolittle is being given the first shot since he was here first. Dusty knows how to handle these egos. If Doolittle has a shaky outing or two then he gets moved to the 7th or situational. Dusty is still looking at these guys, I think, but if these guys do the job, and Stras and Turner get healthy, then I think the Nats have a chance to make some noise in the postseason. Lots of ifs but so be it.

Offline aBaltoNat

« Reply #61: August 05, 2017, 02:50:34 PM »
I think Kintzler will end up closing but Doolittle is being given the first shot since he was here first. Dusty knows how to handle these egos. If Doolittle has a shaky outing or two then he gets moved to the 7th or situational. Dusty is still looking at these guys, I think, but if these guys do the job, and Stras and Turner get healthy, then I think the Nats have a chance to make some noise in the postseason. Lots of ifs but so be it.

Doo has been good. If your theory is true....he'll be our closer in the post season.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #62: August 05, 2017, 03:04:58 PM »
Doo has been good. If your theory is true....he'll be our closer in the post season.

I'm not 100% sold on Doo yet. Gonna have to get more than one clean inning every 5 games.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #63: August 05, 2017, 06:52:01 PM »
In lefty-heavy situations earlier in the game, i think Dusty trusts Perez, so maybe he really wants Doolittle for the 9th.  He closed before the latest run of injuries, so maybe the handedness thing I obsess over is less important.

Offline aBaltoNat

« Reply #64: August 05, 2017, 07:48:36 PM »
In lefty-heavy situations earlier in the game, i think Dusty trusts Perez, so maybe he really wants Doolittle for the 9th.  He closed before the latest run of injuries, so maybe the handedness thing I obsess over is less important.

In the GDT, mitlen said old people obsess over trivial things.

Just saying.