Author Topic: Cubs to give Bartman a World Series ring  (Read 4568 times)

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Re: Cubs to give Bartman a World Series ring
« Reply #1: July 31, 2017, 01:32:24 PM »
Outstanding.  The guy was and is a lifelong, diehard Cubs fan.  With what he went thru, he deserves it...and more...

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #2: July 31, 2017, 01:34:45 PM »
It'll have a 2003 date on it.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #3: July 31, 2017, 01:39:39 PM »
Stupid

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #4: July 31, 2017, 01:40:20 PM »
Is Dusty getting one also.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #5: July 31, 2017, 01:41:09 PM »
Stupid

Wow...Skippy with a mean spirited post...  :mg:

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #6: July 31, 2017, 03:58:20 PM »
Saavy PR move for them. Compare with Mets refusing to give Mr. Met a ring...

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #7: July 31, 2017, 04:02:51 PM »
Wow...Skippy with a mean spirited post...  :mg:

It's dumb!  Invite him to throw out first pitch, give him and his fam a suite with all the food and drinks they want, let him sing "Take me out to the ballgame"...all good ideas to try to make up for some of the grief he's had to endure, but a ring? Come on, I'd sell that thing so fast, how embarrassing to be awarded something you had no part in earning.  I remember the year after Edgerrin James left the Colts they won the Super Bowl and they sent him a ring "here look what we won as soon as you left!" ridiculous.  Players, managers, coaches, executives who help run the team, yes they deserve rings, NO ONE else. 

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #8: July 31, 2017, 04:03:52 PM »

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #10: July 31, 2017, 04:22:12 PM »
It's dumb!  Invite him to throw out first pitch, give him and his fam a suite with all the food and drinks they want, let him sing "Take me out to the ballgame"...all good ideas to try to make up for some of the grief he's had to endure, but a ring? Come on, I'd sell that thing so fast, how embarrassing to be awarded something you had no part in earning.  I remember the year after Edgerrin James left the Colts they won the Super Bowl and they sent him a ring "here look what we won as soon as you left!" ridiculous.  Players, managers, coaches, executives who help run the team, yes they deserve rings, NO ONE else.

He endured stalking and death threats, and had to essentially withdraw from society.  If you are going to go over the top, you do it in this sort of instance. 

I like it...though I still hate the Cubs...

...so maybe that's why I like it...  :hysterical:

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #11: July 31, 2017, 05:28:32 PM »
I don't think he got a ring like the ones the players got.

Offline RiotAct

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13: July 31, 2017, 08:01:46 PM »
Every cubs employee got a ring. They had to sign a contract saying the only entity it could be sold to was the Cubs.

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/cubs-are-hand-out-world-series-rings-but-theres-a-catch/

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #14: July 31, 2017, 10:22:30 PM »
Agreed.  When I first read this story, I thought it was beyond bizarre.  I mean I feel terrible for the man and all the hate he got, but if anything, he may have cost them a World Series.  He certainly didn't do anything to earn one.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #15: July 31, 2017, 10:35:50 PM »
Anyone from Chicago?  I'd love to hear their perspective.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #16: July 31, 2017, 11:48:30 PM »
Agreed.  When I first read this story, I thought it was beyond bizarre.  I mean I feel terrible for the man and all the hate he got, but if anything, he may have cost them a World Series.

Oh jeez :smh: hasn't it been proven he didn't reach over the wall and most agree Alou wouldn't have gotten the  ball anyway? They had another whole game they could've won, Bartman didn't cost them anything.
Also he was apparently very moved by the gesture so what do I know :lol:

Offline spidernat

« Reply #17: August 01, 2017, 12:40:19 AM »
but if anything, he may have cost them a World Series. 

You're usually solid in your baseball analysis but this post earns you an

:idiot:

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #18: August 01, 2017, 02:52:05 AM »

You're usually solid in your baseball analysis but this post earns you an

:idiot:
No one bats 1.000 :P

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #19: August 01, 2017, 03:02:44 AM »
Oh jeez :smh: hasn't it been proven he didn't reach over the wall and most agree Alou wouldn't have gotten the  ball anyway? They had another whole game they could've won, Bartman didn't cost them anything.
Also he was apparently very moved by the gesture so what do I know :lol:
Tbh I hadn't heard any of that.  I remember the incident but didn't follow much of the controversy afterwards.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20: August 01, 2017, 05:47:17 AM »
He definitely didn’t cost them that game, much less the NLCS, much less the World Series. He didn’t do anything wrong, was a lifelong fan who was treated like crap by the Cubs and the city. He endured death threats and went into hiding.  And this a small gesture the Cubs did to make things right. He deserves more  than a ring, but this is the olive branch he decided to accept. Very small consolation  for what he went through.

I polled my 4 cub fans friends (all diehard). Small sample size, but every one of them said they were happy to hear the cubs do this.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #21: August 01, 2017, 09:38:56 AM »
Bartman released a statement:

Although I do not consider myself worthy of such an honor, I am deeply moved and sincerely grateful to receive an official Chicago Cubs 2016 World Series Championship ring. I am fully aware of the historical significance and appreciate the symbolism the ring represents on multiple levels. My family and I will cherish it for generations.

Most meaningful is the genuine outreach from the Ricketts family, on behalf of the Cubs organization and fans, signifying to me that I am welcomed back into the Cubs family and have their support going forward. I am relieved and hopeful that the saga of the 2003 foul ball incident surrounding my family and me is finally over.

I humbly receive the ring not only as a symbol of one of the most historic achievements in sports, but as an important reminder for how we should treat each other in today's society. My hope is that we all can learn from my experience to view sports as entertainment and prevent harsh scapegoating, and to challenge the media and opportunistic profiteers to conduct business ethically by respecting personal privacy rights and not exploit any individual to advance their own self-interest or economic gain.

Moreover, I am hopeful this ring gesture will be the start of an important healing and reconciliation process for all involved. To that end, I request the media please respect my privacy, and the privacy of my family. I will not participate in interviews or further public statements at this time.

Words alone cannot express my heartfelt thanks to the Ricketts family, Crane Kenney, Theo Epstein, and the entire Cubs organization for this extraordinary gift, and for providing the City of Chicago and Cubs fans everywhere an unforgettable World Championship in 2016. I am happy to be reunited with the Cubs family and positively moving forward with my life.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #22: August 01, 2017, 10:13:58 AM »
Yeah, that's where I was. I thought he was a jerkoff that cost his team, but it turns out he didn't interfere with the ball.

Or, did he? :stir:

Tbh I hadn't heard any of that.  I remember the incident but didn't follow much of the controversy afterwards.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #23: August 01, 2017, 11:58:06 AM »
Alou would've caught it but he's not the only one reaching out for the foul ball. His mistake in my opinion was that he sat there like a freaking nag after people started giving him crap about it and didn't stand his ground. It was all downhill from then on.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #24: August 01, 2017, 12:09:11 PM »
I get your sentiment but he was surrounded and outnumbered by about 47.000 people.       :)