Author Topic: Howie Kendrick, Come on Down  (Read 9197 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Howie Kendrick, Come on Down
« Reply #75: August 14, 2017, 12:31:17 PM »
Kendrick has been batting better than Murph all year-- not by a ton, but still a few points of batting average. Murph draws more walks and higher slugging. Either way, Kendrick is no slouch.

We get Trea back and this lineup is going to be *sick*.
Kendrick has played 52 games.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #76: August 14, 2017, 12:49:30 PM »
Kendrick has been batting better than Murph all year-- not by a ton, but still a few points of batting average. Murph draws more walks and higher slugging. Either way, Kendrick is no slouch.

We get Trea back and this lineup is going to be *sick*.

Difo has been no slouch either...a real pleasant surprise...

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #77: August 14, 2017, 12:51:34 PM »
Kendrick has played 52 games.

So you're.saying he's already got his 100 AB's?  He should be gangbusters down the stretch run and into the playoffs then...

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #78: August 14, 2017, 12:54:56 PM »
Howie was a good pickup.  He's great insurance for Werth in LF and a great bench bat otherwise once we're healthy.  To try and compare him to Murphy is silly.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #79: August 14, 2017, 12:58:55 PM »
So you're.saying he's already got his 100 AB's?  He should be gangbusters down the stretch run and into the playoffs then...
It would be best if Werth stayed hurt and he could play LF. Or platoon there with Goodwin (assuming Haroer comes back). 

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #80: August 14, 2017, 01:00:09 PM »
Howie was a good pickup.  He's great insurance for Werth in LF and a great bench bat otherwise once we're healthy.  To try and compare him to Murphy is silly.

I'd rather have him in the lineup than Werth...

« Reply #81: August 14, 2017, 01:04:07 PM »

If Werth is back healthy, it's at least close.  I can't imagine that if Werth is healthy that he ends his 7 year run here and maybe even his career entirely on the bench.  He'll be in the lineup in the postseason. 

Offline monkeyhit

« Reply #82: August 14, 2017, 01:05:46 PM »

But we all know Werth will claim his position.  (Well, maybe not. Maybe he'll take a seat for the team's sake.  :hysterical:)

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #83: August 14, 2017, 01:08:37 PM »
Werth will be a bench bat in Baltimore next year...

« Reply #84: August 14, 2017, 01:12:36 PM »
Werth will be a bench bat in Baltimore next year...

His future would no doubt be in the AL as mostly a DH that from time to time fills in LF.  I think if we win a World Series he rides off into the sunset, but if not I could see him seeking a 2-year deal in the AL to close his career. 

Offline Slateman

« Reply #85: August 14, 2017, 01:26:35 PM »
If Werth is back healthy, it's at least close.  I can't imagine that if Werth is healthy that he ends his 7 year run here and maybe even his career entirely on the bench.  He'll be in the lineup in the postseason. 
No, it's not. Werth is a ~.260 hitter now

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #86: August 14, 2017, 01:29:55 PM »
His future would no doubt be in the AL as mostly a DH that from time to time fills in LF.  I think if we win a World Series he rides off into the sunset, but if not I could see him seeking a 2-year deal in the AL to close his career.

Baltimore takes him full circle and keeps him close to home...it'd be a perfect fit for him...

« Reply #87: August 14, 2017, 01:33:33 PM »
No, it's not. Werth is a ~.260 hitter now

Werth has an OPS close to 820.  Do you think there's a reason teams weren't lining up to put Kendrick in an everyday role at the deadline?  He's got nice numbers, in a tiny sample size.  Teams known what he is full-time, which is good but not great.  Werth is an OBP guy with a little pop that is perfect as a table setter in our lineup. 

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #88: August 14, 2017, 01:37:49 PM »

I just want to hear "Howie...Howie...Howie" during the NLDS...

Offline Slateman

« Reply #89: August 14, 2017, 01:41:31 PM »
Werth has an OPS close to 820.  Do you think there's a reason teams weren't lining up to put Kendrick in an everyday role at the deadline?  He's got nice numbers, in a tiny sample size.  Teams known what he is full-time, which is good but not great.  Werth is an OBP guy with a little pop that is perfect as a table setter in our lineup. 

All the more reason to platoon Lind and Kendrick in LF and bench Werth.

« Reply #90: August 14, 2017, 01:56:27 PM »
All the more reason to platoon Lind and Kendrick in LF and bench Werth.

Werth has a .959 OPS against lefties, so why are you platooning him in favor of Kendrick against lefties?  I'm trying to see your logic.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #91: August 14, 2017, 02:00:34 PM »
Werth has a .959 OPS against lefties, so why are you platooning him in favor of Kendrick against lefties?  I'm trying to see your logic.
Because Kendrick is OPSing .963 against LHP.

« Reply #92: August 14, 2017, 02:11:05 PM »
Because Kendrick is OPSing .963 against LHP.

So your .04 difference in OPS in a small sample this year is why you are going to bench the biggest leader in this clubhouse the past 7 years in his final year?  Did you ever play competitive sports at a level higher than little league?

Offline Ray D

« Reply #93: August 14, 2017, 02:15:28 PM »
  Did you ever play competitive sports at a level higher than little league?

Are you reverting back to form?  You were behaving there for a while.

« Reply #94: August 14, 2017, 02:21:00 PM »
Are you reverting back to form?  You were behaving there for a while.

Are you the hall monitor, or Slate's big bro?  It's a legit question.  He brought the subject of benching Werth up, he can answer for himself.  I suspect the answer is no, which explains why he thinks a miniscule statistical difference is reason to bench someone.  This isn't fantasy baseball.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #95: August 14, 2017, 02:21:45 PM »
So your .04 difference in OPS in a small sample this year is why you are going to bench the biggest leader in this clubhouse the past 7 years in his final year?  Did you ever play competitive sports at a level higher than little league?

I have one guy who's hot, and one guy who hasn't played baseball since early June and has 3 years of regression at the plate. It's August 14. On August 12, it was reported that Werth is ready to do some "serious running." So when do you think he's coming back?

Yes, I've played competitive sports higher than LL. Werth can "lead" from the bench. Where he belongs.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #96: August 14, 2017, 02:24:05 PM »
Are you the hall monitor, or Slate's big bro?  It's a legit question.  He brought the subject of benching Werth up, he can answer for himself.  I suspect the answer is no, which explains why he thinks a miniscule statistical difference is reason to bench someone.  This isn't fantasy baseball.

:lmao:

Leaders lead from the front. Werth hasn't been performing. He can't even get on the field. I find it highly unlikely after 70 ABs in September, against fodder call ups, he's going to be locked and ready for prime time? Doubt it.

You know what plays in the number 2 hole? Guys who hit over .300. That plays. Everywhere. And you can bet the rest of the team is gonna be pissed as hell if they go in to a playoff series doing everything they can, and a guy who isn't ready for MLB hitting is put in the number 2 hole.

« Reply #97: August 14, 2017, 02:25:02 PM »
I have one guy who's hot, and one guy who hasn't played baseball since early June and has 3 years of regression at the plate. It's August 14. On August 12, it was reported that Werth is ready to do some "serious running." So when do you think he's coming back?

Yes, I've played competitive sports higher than LL. Werth can "lead" from the bench. Where he belongs.

The plan was always for him to take his sweet time and be ready in September.  What would the purpose be to push him to return any sooner?  If he is awful all through the month of September and Kendrick keeps raking, then maybe Dusty does start Kendrick.  But Werth has always rounded into form unless hurt, so yes I fully expect him to be fine for his Swan Song in September.  That is who Dusty will pencil in for better or worse. 

« Reply #98: August 14, 2017, 02:26:39 PM »
:lmao:

Leaders lead from the front. Werth hasn't been performing. He can't even get on the field. I find it highly unlikely after 70 ABs in September, against fodder call ups, he's going to be locked and ready for prime time? Doubt it.

You know what plays in the number 2 hole? Guys who hit over .300. That plays. Everywhere. And you can bet the rest of the team is gonna be pissed as hell if they go in to a playoff series doing everything they can, and a guy who isn't ready for MLB hitting is put in the number 2 hole.

Do you really not understand that batting average isn't the best tool to measure a hitter?  If Kendrick's BA made him such a stud and was expected to continue at this level, then why did we get him for nothing at the deadline?  Why didn't anybody want him to put in their everyday lineup?  Maybe they saw in a large sample of 487 ABs in 2016 he had an OPS of .682.  The .420 batting average on balls in play Howie has this year won't continue.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #99: August 14, 2017, 02:56:13 PM »
Are you the hall monitor,

No, but I'm going to call you out when you say degrading things like  "Did you ever play competitive sports at a level higher than little league?"  Saying things like that  is why you got in trouble on the mlb forum and moved over here.  There isn't room for that behavior here.