Author Topic: Howie Kendrick, Come on Down  (Read 9181 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Howie Kendrick, Come on Down
« Reply #50: August 02, 2017, 10:41:14 AM »
This Kendrick guy seems to be pretty good.  Maybe consider extending him?
free agent with[edit for typo -] without  ability to give a qualifying offer.  It is an open auction. I like him, but, depending on whether Difo / Goodwin / Taylor are traded and whether we bid on a JD Martinez to replace Werth, there just may not be room for him. (I'd love JD as an all-in move to go with Eaton in CF and Harper in right, with a bench of Taylor, Goodwin, Difo, plus Lind or Drew).

Offline aBaltoNat

« Reply #51: August 02, 2017, 10:50:39 AM »
free agent with ability to give a qualifying offer.  It is an open auction. I like him, but, depending on whether Difo / Goodwin / Taylor are traded and whether we bid on a JD Martinez to replace Werth, there just may not be room for him. (I'd love JD as an all-in move to go with Eaton in CF and Harper in right, with a bench of Taylor, Goodwin, Difo, plus Lind or Drew).

Neither MAT or Goodwin will be starting in the OF coming out of ST unless their is an injury. We will aquire another starter.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #52: August 02, 2017, 10:55:06 AM »
free agent with ability to give a qualifying offer.  It is an open auction. I like him, but, depending on whether Difo / Goodwin / Taylor are traded and whether we bid on a JD Martinez to replace Werth, there just may not be room for him. (I'd love JD as an all-in move to go with Eaton in CF and Harper in right, with a bench of Taylor, Goodwin, Difo, plus Lind or Drew).
That would pretty much signal that Harper isn't going to be here beyond next season.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53: August 02, 2017, 10:57:34 AM »
That would pretty much signal that Harper isn't going to be here beyond next season.
just like signing Scherzer told you something about JZ's future in 2015.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54: August 02, 2017, 11:04:29 AM »
Neither MAT or Goodwin will be starting in the OF coming out of ST unless their is an injury. We will aquire another starter.

If MAT finishes the season like he has played this year, he will start next year.

Offline ZimW1N

• ResignSoto2025
« Reply #55: August 02, 2017, 11:10:02 AM »

You're gonna be mad when MAT wins the CF job next season.

Offline aBaltoNat

« Reply #56: August 02, 2017, 01:11:24 PM »
You're gonna be mad when MAT wins the CF job next season.

Nah, wouldn't be mad. But we could go out and sign a more proven player.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #57: August 02, 2017, 01:13:33 PM »
Nah, wouldn't be mad. But we could go out and sign a more proven player.
Unless they go the trade route, next year's market isn't flush with talent. I'd be cool with holding serve and maybe trying to get a jump on the 2019 market if possible. If we're gonna spend monies, spend it on Wade Davis.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #58: August 02, 2017, 02:42:10 PM »
Taylor would have to finish very poorly to not be slated in to start next opening day in CF with Goodwin being the fourth outfielder.

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #59: August 02, 2017, 03:07:53 PM »

I doubt that.  I think MAT has shown enough since Eaton went down that he's getting a crack at CF again.  Goodwin will be the 4th OF.  If we still need someone else into the season, then that's a focus next trading deadline.  Our money will be spent on a catcher, anotjer starting pitcher, and the bullpen.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #60: August 02, 2017, 03:28:28 PM »

Qualifying Offer isn't an option for in season trade guys. It's just a straight FA market for his services this year.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #61: August 02, 2017, 03:48:15 PM »
Qualifying Offer isn't an option for in season trade guys. It's just a straight FA market for his services this year.
yes, typo on my part.  Meant "without," which is why I said it is an open auction right after that.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #62: August 02, 2017, 03:53:36 PM »
yes, typo on my part.  Meant "without," which is why I said it is an open auction right after that.

That makes much more sense. I was having trouble parsing it and just assumed I was tired or missing something.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #63: August 13, 2017, 10:36:31 PM »
:panic:

:worship:

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #64: August 13, 2017, 10:45:21 PM »
Howie Kendrick is really good at hitting baseballs.

Offline whytev

« Reply #65: August 14, 2017, 01:30:10 AM »
Howie Kendrick is really good at hitting baseballs.

So glad to have him.

I had wood to get him I think when we got Yunel. I think Slate did too. He's obviously not much of a 2B anymore but what a contributor.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #66: August 14, 2017, 08:42:59 AM »
So glad to have him.

I had wood to get him I think when we got Yunel. I think Slate did too. He's obviously not much of a 2B anymore but what a contributor.

Doesn't have the range or athleticism at the position that Murph does, that's for sure.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #67: August 14, 2017, 10:37:48 AM »
Just caught up on the video...Bob didn't say "see you later"??

Offline Ray D

« Reply #68: August 14, 2017, 10:49:09 AM »
Bob didn't say "see you later"??
And many of us are grateful for that.

Offline whytev

« Reply #69: August 14, 2017, 10:58:09 AM »
Doesn't have the range or athleticism at the position that Murph does, that's for sure.

If he had Murph's bat I would cut him more slack.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #70: August 14, 2017, 11:07:42 AM »
His bat's been better than Murphy's since he joined the Nats.

Offline expos1994

« Reply #71: August 14, 2017, 11:41:06 AM »
Bob's reaction was similar to mine. Off the bat you knew the game was over. It didn't need to go over the wall. It was cool that it did but it was kinda overkill. Had they been down 3 runs... Bob would been doing cartwheels along with everyone else.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #72: August 14, 2017, 12:02:54 PM »

His bat's been better than Murphy's since he joined the Nats.

Kendrick has been batting better than Murph all year-- not by a ton, but still a few points of batting average. Murph draws more walks and higher slugging. Either way, Kendrick is no slouch.

We get Trea back and this lineup is going to be *sick*.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #73: August 14, 2017, 12:06:45 PM »
I think one of the most entertaining games I've attended was when Justin Maxwell hit a down-by-three walk-off slam against the Mutts (also with 2 outs and 2 strikes IIRC).  Home closer in a lost season never felt so good. 
Bob's reaction was similar to mine. Off the bat you knew the game was over. It didn't need to go over the wall. It was cool that it did but it was kinda overkill. Had they been down 3 runs... Bob would been doing cartwheels along with everyone else.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #74: August 14, 2017, 12:31:16 PM »
Kendrick has been batting better than Murph all year-- not by a ton, but still a few points of batting average. Murph draws more walks and higher slugging. Either way, Kendrick is no slouch.

We get Trea back and this lineup is going to be *sick*.
Murphy's OPS is about 70 points higher than Kendrick. And he has played all year while Kendrick has missed much of the season with injuries. Murphy is and has been a much better hitter. Kendrick was a great pickup though.