Author Topic: Nationals @ Diamondbacks, Game 1  (Read 8311 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: Nationals @ Diamondbacks, Game 1
« Reply #225: July 22, 2017, 01:09:36 AM »
Romero dropped a big steamer on it

I won't forget either.    :)

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #226: July 22, 2017, 01:10:37 AM »
It's a good thing we've got Doolittle on the roster so he can watch Enny blow the game.
Had to save Doolittle for a potential save.  The only choices were Enny or Perez.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #227: July 22, 2017, 01:12:26 AM »
Had to save Doolittle for a potential save.  The only choices were Enny or Perez.

Sometime I think Dusty gives guys (bullpen) too many chances to get right.    It's almost his "standard decision".

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #228: July 22, 2017, 01:31:59 AM »
Hell with Enny.   What about my GDT?

5 mitlen GDTs in the last 9 games = drug test or...

Game Over, We Lose.

Offline tzinc

« Reply #229: July 22, 2017, 01:34:14 AM »
Doolittle was kept for the save

Offline trangert418

• Quit Clowning Around
« Reply #230: July 22, 2017, 01:50:33 AM »
So did he get it? :shock:

Offline mitlen

« Reply #231: July 22, 2017, 09:09:02 AM »
So did he get it? :shock:

:lol:    "standard decision"

Offline mitlen

« Reply #232: July 22, 2017, 09:10:33 AM »
5 mitlen GDTs in the last 9 games = drug test or...

(Image removed from quote.)
Game Over, We Lose.

Rather than TJ, I'd bet carpel-tunnel.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #233: July 22, 2017, 10:03:21 AM »
Doolittle was kept for the save
Dusty channeling playoff Buck Showalter.

Offline RiotAct

« Reply #234: July 22, 2017, 10:53:37 AM »
True, doesn't change Enny sucks.

He's definitely young and inconsistent, but he's come through more often than not this year

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #235: July 22, 2017, 11:03:34 AM »
FP must have written this:

After the last homer landed in the seats in right-center field, Scherzer regrouped and managed to turn what began as a disastrous outing into a serviceable one. He battled through five innings and gave up five runs on eight hits but struck out nine.

http://m.nationals.mlb.com/news/article/243681506/nationals-max-scherzer-allows-3-straight-hrs/

Offline RiotAct

« Reply #236: July 22, 2017, 11:16:29 AM »
FP must have written this:

After the last homer landed in the seats in right-center field, Scherzer regrouped and managed to turn what began as a disastrous outing into a serviceable one. He battled through five innings and gave up five runs on eight hits but struck out nine.

http://m.nationals.mlb.com/news/article/243681506/nationals-max-scherzer-allows-3-straight-hrs/

:lol: :lol:

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #237: July 22, 2017, 12:11:04 PM »
Sometime I think Dusty gives guys (bullpen) too many chances to get right.    It's almost his "standard decision".
Possibly but this isn't a case of that.  This is a case of being out of good options and that falls on Max for only going 5 innings.  Obviously, no one expects Max to never have a game like this.  Everyone does.  But that doesn't mean this isn't on him at the end of the day.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #238: July 22, 2017, 12:15:33 PM »
Possibly but this isn't a case of that.  This is a case of being out of good options and that falls on Max for only going 5 innings.  Obviously, no one expects Max to never have a game like this.  Everyone does.  But that doesn't mean this isn't on him at the end of the day.

I put it on the guy who presents the triple.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #239: July 22, 2017, 12:18:06 PM »
Anyone think this was Dusty's way of showing that the bullpen is better but not "fixed"? Not much time before the non-waiver trade deadline. That was absolutely the wrong situation for Enny, and Dusty knows that, and everybody had a day off yesterday so they should all be available. Maybe that was a message?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #240: July 22, 2017, 12:31:27 PM »
Anyone think this was Dusty's way of showing that the bullpen is better but not "fixed"? Not much time before the non-waiver trade deadline. That was absolutely the wrong situation for Enny, and Dusty knows that, and everybody had a day off yesterday so they should all be available. Maybe that was a message?

I don't mean any disrespect to Dusty but I'm not sure he's that "deep".      IMHO, I think he was goin' by his gut/hunch with Enny.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #241: July 22, 2017, 12:40:20 PM »
No bullpen has 7 stellar relievers.  When you have to use 5 in 9 innings while saving your closer, you're down to the bottom of the barrel as far as game situation is concerned.  You see this a lot in extra inning games (which was essentially the situation in the 9th yesterday since we were playing for extra innings) where managers are just kinda stuck with who is left that doesn't have to be saved for a save situation.  Dusty had exactly two options available to him at that point - Enny or Perez - neither of which were great options because they were both pitching out of the roles you'd rather have them pitch in.  It's just the reality of an extra inning type of situation where your starter didn't go deep, causing you to fire a lot of your bullets earlier than you would have liked.

EDIT:  For the record, I'm not saying that the bullpen is totally fixed.  I'd like to see us add another arm at the back end.  No question.  I'm only saying that I don't think this game is a great example of that.  This game is more indicative of how important it is for a starter to go deeper into close games.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #242: July 22, 2017, 02:48:29 PM »
I pulled a lot of the use of the closer discussion into the stats giggity thread on the main board.  Fun stuff - thanks Mimontero!