Author Topic: Nationals @ Reds, Game 4  (Read 4769 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: Nationals @ Reds, Game 4
« Reply #125: July 17, 2017, 03:40:54 PM »
Keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeriste I get tired of Wood trying to throw Senators stats in on our current team.    I wonder if the Mets' broadcasters always reference the Giants and Dodgers.

Offline captkirk42

• Curly W Cards
« Reply #126: July 17, 2017, 03:43:16 PM »
YES! A 4 Game S :w: eep!

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #127: July 17, 2017, 03:49:24 PM »
We had literal turds in the bullpen for April, May, June & July, but we're 20 games above .500.

Damn fine team we have.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #128: July 17, 2017, 04:03:08 PM »
Keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeriste I get tired of Wood trying to throw Senators stats in on our current team.    I wonder if the Mets' broadcasters always reference the Giants and Dodgers.

Some people just can't let go of the past. It's fine if you want to do that out of your own sense of nostalgia but his insistence on pushing onto others is annoying.

Offline mdnatsfan

« Reply #129: July 17, 2017, 04:30:47 PM »

Some people just can't let go of the past. It's fine if you want to do that out of your own sense of nostalgia but his insistence on pushing onto others is annoying.

Agree. Who cares about the Senators v1 or 2? I don't even want to hear about the Expos. I'm a Nats fan and that fandom started in 2005. Before that, I didn't follow baseball for 10 years. Before that, I was a Phillies fan (before I came to my senses and realized what a joke that ownership group was).

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #130: July 17, 2017, 04:42:41 PM »
Agree. Who cares about the Senators v1 or 2?

I'm not saying I don't care about them. I do enjoy baseball history and especially that of the Senators. But I don't need Phil Wood bringing it up all the time or trying to compare those teams to the current Nationals like mitlen said.

I don't even want to hear about the Expos.

We're in complete agreement here.

Before that, I was a Phillies fan (before I came to my senses and realized what a joke that ownership group was).

:hysterical:

Offline mitlen

« Reply #131: July 17, 2017, 05:24:40 PM »

I'm not saying I don't care about them. I do enjoy baseball history and especially that of the Senators. But I don't need Phil Wood bringing it up all the time or trying to compare those teams to the current Nationals like mitlen said.

I'm not on the Expos train either.    Like you, I do enjoy baseball from way back and like to talk about it.    Howver, there are times I think Phil brings this stuff up so he can prove he's the smartest guy in the room.     :shrug:

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #132: July 17, 2017, 06:28:48 PM »
I'm on the Expos train myself, but it's clear that the Senators heritage matters to many fans (you can see it on WNFF all the time) and I have no problem with the broadcasters bringing that up.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #133: July 17, 2017, 06:41:40 PM »
The Senators / Nationals / Nats are Washington's baseball heritage, the reason, for example, that Montgomery County named a high school after Walter Johnson. The Baltimore Orioles tried to claim Washington as their territory, and for about 33 years the Nats were on a long road trip, but he Orioles are nothing but the transplanted St. Louis Browns. Sure, this team started play in 2005, but the red curly-W is straight from 1969, and there are plenty of fans who saw the old teams play.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #134: July 17, 2017, 06:43:12 PM »
The Senators / Nationals / Nats are Washington's baseball heritage, the reason, for example, that Montgomery County named a high school after Walter Johnson. The Baltimore Orioles tried to claim Washington as their territory, and for about 33 years the Nats were on a long road trip, but he Orioles are nothing but the transplanted St. Louis Browns. Sure, this team started play in 2005, but the red curly-W is straight from 1969, and there are plenty of fans who saw the old teams play.

That's all good   ...   not during a Nats' broadcast.    The Senators are part of Washington's baseball heritage, not this team and the overwhelming majority of its fans.    I'll chat old Senators baseball (what I know of it) any time.    I just don't wanna hear Phil Wood belittling Zimmerman's accomplishment with this franchise with some decades old trivia.     Get off my grass.*   :)

*welch this ain't a shot at you or your position.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #135: July 17, 2017, 08:16:46 PM »
That's all good   ...   not during a Nats' broadcast.    The Senators are part of Washington's baseball heritage, not this team and the overwhelming majority of its fans.    I'll chat old Senators baseball (what I know of it) any time.    I just don't wanna hear Phil Wood belittling Zimmerman's accomplishment with this franchise with some decades old trivia.     Get off my grass.*   :)

*welch this ain't a shot at you or your position.

Would that be like a Pirates Broadcaster never being able to mention Willie Stargell or Bill Mazerowski?

Offline captkirk42

• Curly W Cards
« Reply #136: July 17, 2017, 09:55:16 PM »
Agree. I'm am one of those old fans that enjoys the combined Senators 1.0 (Twins) 2.0 (Rangers) Nats (Ex-Expos) history. I don't think there is any history quite like it. You don't have Brewers fans who embrace the Braves of Milwaukee, or Mets fans embracing Brooklyn Dodgers or NY Giants. And no DAMN Yankees fan is going to embrace the late 19th Century/early 20th Century Baltimore Orioles.
But technically the Curly W actually started around '63. Yeah Nitpicking I know.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #137: July 18, 2017, 07:13:39 AM »
Comparative dates on which the Nationals notched their 56th win, each season:

2016 - 16th July (92nd match)
2017 - 17th July (92nd match)
2012 - 23rd July (95th match of season)
2014 - 25th July (100th match)
2005 - 31st July (105th match)
2015 - 6th August (107th match)
2011 - 9th August (115th match)