Author Topic: Nationals Acquire Doolittle, Madson for Treinen, Neuse, Luzardo  (Read 6736 times)

Offline NatsAllThe Way

Treinen is gonna Felipe Rivero us next year and I don't even care.

Unless we lose in the NLDS again in which case I will Felipe every table in my house.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
I certainly don’t wish ill for the guy. By all accounts he’s a good person.  If he’s successful in the AL West, so be it. He was never going to be successful here.
This may sound dumb, but I sort of think you need a few players to turn out well when you deal them in order to make folks think that you aren't out to short them badly.  If you insist on killing it in every deal, no one will deal with you.  That was supposed to be the problem in Tampa Bay with the GM before Friedman took over.  The Kazmir deal was so lopsided against the Mets that all of his offers were equally lopsided and not viable for starting negotiations.  If Treinen is a stud for Oakland, folks will think Rizzo doesn't only offer crud in deals.

Offline DPMOmaha

This may sound dumb, but I sort of think you need a few players to turn out well when you deal them in order to make folks think that you aren't out to short them badly.  If you insist on killing it in every deal, no one will deal with you.  That was supposed to be the problem in Tampa Bay with the GM before Friedman took over.  The Kazmir deal was so lopsided against the Mets that all of his offers were equally lopsided and not viable for starting negotiations.  If Treinen is a stud for Oakland, folks will think Rizzo doesn't only offer crud in deals.
Rivero works in favor of that theory.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
If Treinen is a stud for Oakland, folks will think Rizzo doesn't only offer crud in deals.

Particularly if we send 'em to the West Coast.   

Offline WahooWah

Guess they aren't ALL smarter in Charlottesville :lmao:
I never claimed to be able to type. ;)

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
If these guys flew to Cincy for today's game and then headed west (back to CA), FP would blame every failure this season on the travel on July 16, 2017.
This is a very accurate post.

Offline tzinc

1) Credit Rizzo this is a GREAT trade. :clap:
2) Both these guys have CLOSED they have what it takes to close out games you could use either or settle on one it doesn't matter.
3) This just LOWERED the price for any other closer/bp guy they might trade for they are NOT desperate anymore. And now they could trade for a closer or a set-up/middle reliever type for much less cost.
4) In my opinion they should seriously consider trading for a solid 4th starter even as a rental. You need 4 starters in the playoffs and you need them especially when Stras has a lengthy injury history.

I think the problem is the Lerners' not Rizzo they sabotaged his 2 deals for closers in the off-season. And he just made some magic happen here just like he did last 2 years.

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

Some thoughts...

It's on the other team to assess the value of what you offer them.  As long as you are forthcoming with their health, it's their fault if you rip them off and other GMs know that.

I am counting on Roark to bounce back as the 4th guy.  He has the track record and is healthy with the same mediocre stuff.  He'll figure it out.  I'm not crazy about bidding for a starter against teams more desperate.

The next move is for another bullpen guy.  If in the next 2 weeks Roark blows up or another SP is hurt, then we make that panic move.

Offline Natsinpwc

Some thoughts...

It's on the other team to assess the value of what you offer them.  As long as you are forthcoming with their health, it's their fault if you rip them off and other GMs know that.

I am counting on Roark to bounce back as the 4th guy.  He has the track record and is healthy with the same mediocre stuff.  He'll figure it out.  I'm not crazy about bidding for a starter against teams more desperate.

The next move is for another bullpen guy.  If in the next 2 weeks Roark blows up or another SP is hurt, then we make that panic move.
In another two weeks the trade deadline has passed. And you have to count on guys clearing waivers.

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

The deadline is the 31st.  That's 2 weeks like I said.

Offline whytev

If these guys flew to Cincy for today's game and then headed west (back to CA), FP would blame every failure this season on the travel on July 16, 2017.

I live on the West Coast. You could fly me out on a day's notice to play a game at 9 a.m. But I'm gonna play like crap and then even worse the next day.

It was the Reds. With Stras. Whatever. Get them fresh and rested. They will have a huge advantage over the rest of the team because they'll be in the same time zone as the game.