Author Topic: How Can A Team This Good Have...... [a bad bullpen]  (Read 1372 times)

Offline More of #34

Re: How Can A Team This Good Have......
« Reply #25: July 16, 2017, 12:01:26 PM »
The path to the next round is fairly simple.  Scherzer pitched 6 innings last night.  If it had been  a playoff game, and if it had been a narrow lead, he'd have gone 8, and we'd need only one inning from the pen.  Same with Strasburg in game 2.  So I can see us winning the first two.  We could then even lose the next two, and it's back to Scherzer for game 5.  It also depends on who we play.  It most likely won't be the Dodgers, probably the Brewers.  I'm not sold on them and I think it will be the easiest playoff opponent we've faced yet.

All good points.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #26: July 16, 2017, 01:15:12 PM »
The path to the next round is fairly simple.  Scherzer pitched 6 innings last night.  If it had been  a playoff game, and if it had been a narrow lead, he'd have gone 8, and we'd need only one inning from the pen.  Same with Strasburg in game 2.  So I can see us winning the first two.  We could then even lose the next two, and it's back to Scherzer for game 5.  It also depends on who we play.  It most likely won't be the Dodgers, probably the Brewers.  I'm not sold on them and I think it will be the easiest playoff opponent we've faced yet.
If he had gone 8 he would have been up to like 125 pitches and likely would have been hit. He threw too many pitches the first three innings.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #27: July 16, 2017, 04:59:08 PM »
This.  If Adams doesn't perform there's no pressure to keep him in the majors.

To think that after today's trade, that might be the only MLB appearance he ever makes.  He could end with an ERA of infinity!

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #28: July 16, 2017, 05:01:28 PM »
To think that after today's trade, that might be the only MLB appearance he ever makes.  He could end with an ERA of infinity!
Only gave up one earned run!

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #29: July 16, 2017, 05:49:43 PM »

Five batters! Zero outs! 2 BB, 1 HBP, and a wild pitch! Throws a slider but can't get his fastball over! Yaaaaaaaaaaaaay!  Have a beer! 

(Poor guy.  I really hope it isn't the end for him.)

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #30: July 16, 2017, 06:27:17 PM »
Five batters! Zero outs! 2 BB, 1 HBP, and a wild pitch! Throws a slider but can't get his fastball over! Yaaaaaaaaaaaaay!  Have a beer! 

They did make an error on the first play. He fell apart after that.

Offline Ray D

On earned run, zero outs is an ERA of infinity.

Online Natsinpwc

On earned run, zero outs is an ERA of infinity.
Yea. I know.

Offline Ray D

If he had gone 8 he would have been up to like 125 pitches and likely would have been hit.

I'm just saying that that is a path to winning a series.  Things don't always go as planned.

Offline Ray D

Yea. I know.
More interesting is when he doesn't get a guy out but doesn't allow an  earned run. ERA undefined.  I wonder how they record that.  For that matter I wonder how they record infinity.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
More interesting is when he doesn't get a guy out but doesn't allow an  earned run. ERA undefined.

Offline Ray D

ERA IS not zero if he never got an out, it is either infinity (if he allowed an earned run) or undefined (if he didn't).  Or are you saying that's how they record it, even if it isn't true?

Online Natsinpwc

I'm just saying that that is a path to winning a series.  Things don't always go as planned.
They Haven't in the past.

Offline spidernat

ERA IS not zero if he never got an out, it is either infinity (if he allowed an earned run) or undefined (if he didn't).  Or are you saying that's how they record it, even if it isn't true?

A pitcher's ERA (a stat that deals specifically with earned runs) at the start of the season is 0 because he hasn't allowed an earned run. What you described is the same thing whether he recorded an out or not. His WHIP may reflect the fact that he allowed base runners (or maybe not if the batters reached base on errors).

Offline Elvir Ovcina

I believe they record 0/0 as "-".

Offline Ray D

A pitcher's ERA (a stat that deals specifically with earned runs) at the start of the season is 0
Right, and that's incorrect.  They don't have a way (or don't want to bother) to indicate "undefined". 

At the beginning of the season his ERA :

#runs  /    (#innings /  9)

is;

0     /    0

Zero divided by zero is undefined.

https://www.google.com/search?q=zero+divided+by+zero&oq=zero+divi&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57j0l4.3855j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Offline Ray D

Ok, thanks.

Offline spidernat

I just looked this up. Last season Shawn Kelley faced one batter in the opener and walked him. The ERA slot was left blank. I also checked this for two other pitchers on the mets in 2014 who did the exact same thing and the slot was left blank.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

I just looked this up. Last season Shawn Kelley faced one batter in the opener and walked him. The ERA slot was left blank. I also checked this for two other pitchers on the mets in 2014 who did the exact same thing and the slot was left blank.

Might depend on the source.  Baseball Reference renders it "---", which is mathematically correct.  Others render in "0.00" which is not: 0/0  is not zero.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #44: July 16, 2017, 08:22:05 PM »

I was thinking about that today.  Guy probably called his family, friends, everyone he could think of and then lays that turd of a performance.  Amped up, overthrowing everything.  Hope he gets another chance on his new team.    8)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Might depend on the source.  Baseball Reference renders it "---", which is mathematically correct.  Others render in "0.00" which is not: 0/0  is not zero.

MLB.com shows his infinity line as

*.**   

http://m.mlb.com/player/613534/austin-adams

Offline spidernat