Author Topic: How Can A Team This Good Have...... [a bad bullpen]  (Read 1371 times)

Offline More of #34

.....a bullpen this bad? 

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: How Can A Team This Good Have......
« Reply #1: July 15, 2017, 10:40:26 PM »
.....a bullpen this bad? 

Planning 'cause you can't make this crap up.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #2: July 15, 2017, 10:40:41 PM »
Simple: They didn't get any good pitchers in the off-season and they have bad coaching

Offline More of #34

« Reply #3: July 15, 2017, 10:48:04 PM »
It's obvious from what happened tonight you just can't put rookies from Syracuse in to close out a game no matter what the score.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #4: July 15, 2017, 10:48:57 PM »
It's obvious from what happened tonight you just can't put rookies from Syracuse in to close out a game no matter what the score.

If a 10-0 lead isn't the right time to play the rooks, when is?

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #5: July 15, 2017, 10:49:36 PM »
The situation isn't the problem.  These specific rooks are.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #6: July 15, 2017, 10:49:50 PM »

don't even bother castling, just keep the rooks in the corners

Offline mitlen

« Reply #7: July 15, 2017, 10:50:13 PM »

don't even bother castling, just keep the rooks in the corners

:smh:    You're lucky you don't need Uber for awhile.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #8: July 15, 2017, 10:52:36 PM »
The situation isn't the problem.  These specific rooks are.

If I'm Dusty, I'm saying "these are the guys you gave me to use"

But who else?  Weren't both Adams and Gott effective at Syracuse?  That doesn't ensure success obviously but you have to promote the guys you have who are most likely to succeed. 

Absent a deal to upgrade the 'pen, of course.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #9: July 15, 2017, 11:03:29 PM »
If I'm Dusty, I'm saying "these are the guys you gave me to use"

But who else?  Weren't both Adams and Gott effective at Syracuse?  That doesn't ensure success obviously but you have to promote the guys you have who are most likely to succeed. 

Absent a deal to upgrade the 'pen, of course.
It's not like either of them have been studs in Cuse either though.  Adams has had a very high walk rate and Gott has been inconsistent.

Offline More of #34

« Reply #10: July 15, 2017, 11:16:10 PM »
It's gotta be somewhat demoralizing for the hitters who have been magnificent to see such a lead disappear.  It couldn't have been worse if you picked a fan out of the audience to pitch. 

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #11: July 15, 2017, 11:20:35 PM »
it's time to bring back Papelbon.

Offline More of #34

« Reply #12: July 15, 2017, 11:23:33 PM »
Thank you IMREF - you gave me my laugh for the day!!!!

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #13: July 15, 2017, 11:43:58 PM »
It couldn't have been worse if you picked a fan out of the audience to pitch. 
Literally.  Adams and Gott had a combined line of 0 IP, 7 R, 6 ER, 6 H, 2 BB, 0 K.  Literally anyone could post those numbers.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14: July 16, 2017, 12:14:41 AM »
Literally.  Adams and Gott had a combined line of 0 IP, 7 R, 6 ER, 6 H, 2 BB, 0 K.  Literally anyone could post those numbers.

So you’re saying we should have a radio contest to find relievers....

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #15: July 16, 2017, 12:20:42 AM »
If we were to do so it would be impossible for the winner to produce a worse stat line than Adams and Gott did.  Talk about taking the pressure off of a major league debut.

Offline fla nat

« Reply #16: July 16, 2017, 08:35:04 AM »
In the Boxscore of the ESPN site of the game, it lists Adams ERA as INF. This is the first time I've ever seen this.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #17: July 16, 2017, 08:41:30 AM »
Another note about this mess:  Matt Grace got a save last night.  Unusual of itself, but he did so in a game in which we were up 10-0 after 7.

Also, for those of you who thought dumping Espinosa was addition by subtraction, Austin Adams was the return for our buddy Daniel.

I mean, I'm 7 years off of last facing batters in an actual game, but if I can give up 7 runs without worrying about outs, I'm damn sure I could do so without walking anyone.

Offline hotshot

« Reply #18: July 16, 2017, 08:45:17 AM »
As was pointed out on the broadcast, this rook has a long history of not having ANY control. Almost as many BB as K's everywhere he has pitched. If he's the best we have to bring up we're in deep trouble.

Anyone see Fister's "performance" for the Red Sox in the 16th inning last night. A preview of what Edwin Jackson would be for us. Washed up guys are not the answer. Guthrie was an earlier preview!

Offline More of #34

« Reply #19: July 16, 2017, 10:03:12 AM »
Sooo.....if we go to the playoffs (and I'm sure we will) with this bullpen, what are our chances of making it to the next round?  A legitimate closer (which we'll most likely obtain) will certainly help but the guys leading up to the closer would have to come through and that's damn scary.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #20: July 16, 2017, 10:06:04 AM »
Sooo.....if we go to the playoffs (and I'm sure we will) with this bullpen, what are our chances of making it to the next round?  A legitimate closer (which we'll most likely obtain) will certainly help but the guys leading up to the closer would have to come through and that's damn scary.
Oftentimes in baseball, when you pick up a closer, you see the rest of the bullpen improve as well due to players being in more appropriate roles.  For example, it's entirely possible that Treinen flourished last year and failed this year because he just doesn't have the makeup to be a closer.  It's possible that acquiring one or two pieces is all this bullpen needs to get its act together entirely.  Keyword:  Possible.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #21: July 16, 2017, 10:10:31 AM »
Sooo.....if we go to the playoffs (and I'm sure we will) with this bullpen, what are our chances of making it to the next round?
The path to the next round is fairly simple.  Scherzer pitched 6 innings last night.  If it had been  a playoff game, and if it had been a narrow lead, he'd have gone 8, and we'd need only one inning from the pen.  Same with Strasburg in game 2.  So I can see us winning the first two.  We could then even lose the next two, and it's back to Scherzer for game 5.  It also depends on who we play.  It most likely won't be the Dodgers, probably the Brewers.  I'm not sold on them and I think it will be the easiest playoff opponent we've faced yet.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #22: July 16, 2017, 10:10:39 AM »
Also, for those of you who thought dumping Espinosa was addition by subtraction, Austin Adams was the return for our buddy Daniel.

But the organization won't try to force Adams on us.    Regardless of who/what we got back.    It was worth it.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #23: July 16, 2017, 10:12:27 AM »
But the organization won't try to force Adams on us.   Regardless of who/what we got back.    It was worth it.
This.  If Adams doesn't perform there's no pressure to keep him in the majors.

Offline More of #34

« Reply #24: July 16, 2017, 10:12:46 AM »
That's true - one or two pieces could make a difference.  We also have been bitten by the injury bug - we need to get Turner and others back.  Although....those who've been filling in have stepped up to the plate!