Author Topic: 2017 Trade Deadline Rumors/Trades/Discussion  (Read 65346 times)

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
5-tool guy is a term that's probably thrown around too often (harper is one).  But how many homeruns qualifies power as a tool? I'd say at least 30?
Not sure Harper is a true 5-tool guy.  I think he has the speed to steal 25-30 bases a year but if he isn't using it, can we really count it as a tool?

Offline NatsAllThe Way

People are talking about Robles like he's the iPhone 8.  They have no idea what they will get but by god they want it...
Ha!

Offline awbb

I still have the iphone5.

Let's not get into this. Mitlen doesn't 'do' smart phones.

Offline Natsinpwc

Let's not get into this. Mitlen doesn't 'do' phones.
:oldy:

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Ken Rosenthal is about to have an extended visit on "High Heat" on MLB Network if you can tolerate listening to Christopher "Mad Dog" Russo.

Offline Ray D

Not sure Harper is a true 5-tool guy.  I think he has the speed to steal 25-30 bases a year but if he isn't using it, can we really count it as a tool?
I don't know, do you attribute speed based on steals?  Harper can leg out a double (or triple), go first to third on a single, score from first on a double.  That's speed.  If the "tool" is pure speed, then I would say that it isn't based purely on steals, because stealing is about more than speed.   Zimmerman (in better days) was the best baserunner on the team, Werth is a good baserunner, and neither has great speed, just smarts.   "Smarts" isn't one of the five tools.  It really should be tool #6.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
I don't know, do you attribute speed based on steals?  Harper can leg out a double (or triple), go first to third on a single, score from first on a double.  That's speed.  If the "tool" is pure speed, then I would say that it isn't based purely on steals, because stealing is about more than speed.   Zimmerman (in better days) was the best baserunner on the team, Werth is a good baserunner, and neither has great speed, just smarts.   "Smarts" isn't one of the five tools.  It really should be tool #6.

If it was, Royce would still only be a 5 tool guy.

Offline Ray D

If it was, Royce would still only be a 5 tool guy.
Precisely my point.

Offline dshawg77

Ken Rosenthal is about to have an extended visit on "High Heat" on MLB Network if you can tolerate listening to Christopher "Mad Dog" Russo.

What did they say? I would love to hear a summary.

More rumors please: YUM YUM:)

Offline Ray D

Precisely my point.
Although I had to scratch my head there for a minute.  Thought you were talking about Royce Clayton.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
What did they say? I would love to hear a summary.

More rumors please: YUM YUM:)

Nothing yet.  It's just Russo yammering on and on.  I'll see what Rosenthal says and try and give a summary.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator

I can’t tolerate it. Hard Pass. I’d appreciate a summary if anyone can provide though.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

5-tool guy is a term that's probably thrown around too often (harper is one).  But how many homeruns qualifies power as a tool? I'd say at least 30?

Yes, it's a term thrown around too much, and to further abuse the term, he's probably more of a 4.5 tool player.  Power isn't just homers.  In isolation, I'd say 20, assuming you have a proportionate number of doubles.  But that's sorta the problem: he's 20.  He could end up with 20 HR power, he could end up not filling out at all and top out at 12.  Or he could end up with 35-homer power if he muscles up or (more likely) changes his hitting approach to swing for the fences.  At that point, he'd probably end up with an Alfonso Soriano-type swing (effectiveness aside).  That words for some guys, but it also creates a lot of 2-15 Michael A.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Per Rosenthal on XM 89:

- Rules surrounding suspension (in particular, Starling Marte of Pittsburgh) where guys can be suspended and rehab in the minors is "bad form"

- Oakland A's and the ballpark - must shave payroll and start long rebuilding process.  Sonny Gray is going to be traded before the deadline (Yankees, Indians, Braves and Brewers most likely).  Oakland may be able to fleece a desperate Yankees organization.  Yonder Alonso likely to be traded as well.

- Todd Frazier - has struggled since winning HR Derby.  Might be able to be gotten on the cheap because he's struggled for a while.  Looks like Red Sox make most sense.

Spent too much time talking Starling Marte to get into anything else.  Man, television is a crappy format for any depth of conversation.

Offline dshawg77

Per Rosenthal on XM 89:

- Rules surrounding suspension (in particular, Starling Marte of Pittsburgh) where guys can be suspended and rehab in the minors is "bad form"

- Oakland A's and the ballpark - must shave payroll and start long rebuilding process.  Sonny Gray is going to be traded before the deadline (Yankees, Indians, Braves and Brewers most likely).  Oakland may be able to fleece a desperate Yankees organization.  Yonder Alonso likely to be traded as well.

- Todd Frazier - has struggled since winning HR Derby.  Might be able to be gotten on the cheap because he's struggled for a while.  Looks like Red Sox make most sense.

Spent too much time talking Starling Marte to get into anything else.  Man, television is a crappy format for any depth of conversation.

Thank you for posting!!!

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
I still can't imagine Rizzo is comfortable going the rest of the year with Edwin Jackson as our #5.  Given we have nobody else able to step into that role right now, I think he'll trade for a rental.   Hellickson would be a nice pickup.  Clayton Richard too.

Offline dshawg77

I still can't imagine Rizzo is comfortable going the rest of the year with Edwin Jackson as our #5.  Given we have nobody else able to step into that role right now, I think he'll trade for a rental.   Hellickson would be a nice pickup.  Clayton Richard too.

I mentioned this prior, I saw Edwin pitch earlier with Baltimore, not pretty.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
That's fair but I definitely think base stealing is the purest use of that tool.  Not sure why the Nats have never seemed interested in turning Harper lose over the years (maybe injury concerns?) but it's hard to give a guy who has only eclipsed 20 SB once in his career the speed tool.

Offline 3bside

We're also going to need another starter next year to replace Ross.  I wonder if Rizzo might swoop in and try to get Gray, who has two more years after this year until free agency.

Offline hotshot

Much love for the Mad Dog. Rest of network afraid to voice opinions (not surprising with ex-players code, not wanting to speak ill ...). Guess Nats have officially frozen him out.

Offline Ray D

Not sure why the Nats have never seemed interested in turning Harper lose over the years (maybe injury concerns?) but it's hard to give a guy who has only eclipsed 20 SB once in his career the speed tool.
Mantle eclipsed 20 only once.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
Mantle eclipsed 20 only once.
Wow.  Would not have guessed that one.  Boy could he fly.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
Lol. Slate said nearly the same stuff I said about Kate Upton years ago and got laughed at for.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Meh. Lacey Chabert > Upton

That's a low blow. :lol:

She won't even lower herself to come to the section you're in.      She'll be hangin' with me and spider.     :money:

Just as long as you don't bring up checklists. I fail 80% of women's checklists on sight (and the hat doesn't help).