Author Topic: 2017 Trade Deadline Rumors/Trades/Discussion  (Read 65173 times)

Offline UMDNats

2017 Trade Deadline Rumors/Trades/Discussion
« Topic Start: July 15, 2017, 07:08:27 PM »
Figured it might be good to start a thread to keep rumors/talk/etc. in one spot rather than dispersed over a number of threads. Mods, feel free to delete if wanted.

I'll start with a nice report from Rosenthal:

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/886361241077338112

Sources: #Nationals trying to acquire both Doolittle and Madson from #Athletics. Also continuing to scout and discuss other relievers.

More info:

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/886361268365533184

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/886361298379956224

Offline Mattionals

Figured it might be good to start a thread to keep rumors/talk/etc. in one spot rather than dispersed over a number of threads. Mods, feel free to delete if wanted.

I'll start with a nice report from Rosenthal:

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/886361241077338112

More info:

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/886361268365533184

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/886361298379956224

I was just about to post this. Wouldn't be surprised if they try and get Gray too.

Offline DPMOmaha

I'd probably include Robles if I had to for Gray/Doolittle/Madson.

Offline hotshot

I like how people (at least one replying to Rosenthal) believe the MASN court decision of a few days ago has changed the equation. First, it will be appealed (which can take another year or so) and even if we ultimately prevail, unclear how much $$$ will be forthcoming from the MLB arbitrators.

Don't see it having ANY effect on this year's trading deadline decisions whatsoever.

Offline DPMOmaha

Who said it did?

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Yep.

I'd probably include Robles if I had to for Gray/Doolittle/Madson.

Offline raleighnat

I think that would be a no brainer

Yep.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
I really dont like Gray's away splits

Offline Mattionals

I think that would be a no brainer

Which means the Nats won't do it. They are going g to hold onto Robles but everyone else is fair game. Could try and use Taylor but it won't be enough.

Offline raleighnat

How good would this Iglesias kid look in a nats uni....jeeze

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
How good would this Iglesias kid look in a nats uni....jeeze
Had the same thought.  I want him in DC ASAP.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Don’t you think that’s why they brought in their closer in an 8 run game? Pure audition.

Offline DPMOmaha

Don’t you think that’s why they brought in their closer in an 8 run game? Pure audition.
Hopefully the two hits we got off him will drive his price down. Knocked him around in DC, too, IIRC.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked

They wanted to keep the score within 10 runs for a late push. :twisted:

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
That was actually my immediate thought.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX

The Reds are awful and he hasn't pitched since the 9th. They brought him in because he needed work.

Its not the 80s anymore. Anyone who wants to watch his "audition" simply has to watch mlb.tv

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
The Reds are awful and he hasn't pitched since the 9th. They brought him in because he needed work.

Its not the 80s anymore. Anyone who wants to watch his "audition" simply has to watch mlb.tv

I think that there is likely things that aren’t shown on TV that are valuable to see. MLB teams still use scouts to see people in person. Hell, I love it occasionally when I sit behind the plate so I can see pitches. I’m sure that someone that knows what they are doing can get some benefit. Maybe I’m wrong though.

Offline Truconfidence

I like how people (at least one replying to Rosenthal) believe the MASN court decision of a few days ago has changed the equation. First, it will be appealed (which can take another year or so) and even if we ultimately prevail, unclear how much $$$ will be forthcoming from the MLB arbitrators.

Don't see it having ANY effect on this year's trading deadline decisions whatsoever.
this.

Offline Hogie

And not just that, but Carpenter was uncommonly talking about him in a way that isn't normal. I think he and Ray Knight were told to talk him up a bit to the home viewers. Ray Knight even said that he fields his position well and that he made sure to check on that. Who does that?

Offline hotshot

Brach blew the O's game the night before (as he has several others while filling in for Britton).  I'd still take him if the price was right.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
Ray Knight even said that he fields his position well and that he made sure to check on that. Who does that?
It's standard procedure for broadcasters to have some sort of scouting report ready on opposing players, especially pitchers, and especially pitchers who throw 100.  Also, I would take anything Ray Knight says with a giant grain of salt.

Offline dshawg77

This team has more holes than Swiss Cheese.
I also believe many on here are overrating Gray by a large margin. Been pitching like crap for a while and check out games aaay from Oakland. Not in a million years do I give up Robles for him as the centerpiece.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
This team has more holes than Swiss Cheese.
I also believe many on here are overrating Gray by a large margin. Been pitching like crap for a while and check out games aaay from Oakland. Not in a million years do I give up Robles for him as the centerpiece.
I don't think Gray is the top person on anyone's radar and I would be shocked if anyone thinks giving up Robles for him is a good idea.  May have missed something but just my initial reaction to this.

Offline hotshot

Who said it did?
At least one reply to Ken R's linked tweets about thought it would have an impact on the makeup of 2017 deadline trades (money back vs prospects). Plus, have heard some callers on talk shows act as if we've already won something substantial. And, maybe we have but premature to say definitively at this point.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession

I also believe many on here are overrating Gray by a large margin. Been pitching like crap for a while and check out games aaay from Oakland.
I think you are far off on Gray.  He's come around pretty well after his 5/30 start @ Cleveland.   8 starts, 50.1 IP, 17 ER (3.04 ERA), 48 K, 16 BB (K:BB 3:1), 39 H (1.09 WHIP).  OF his 14 starts, he's given up > 3 ER only 3 times, and only once since the beginning of June.  His FIP and xFIP are in line with his prime.  He'd push Gio for the #3 slot on this team.

Every contender is kicking the wheels. https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/oakland-athletics

That said, I don't give Robles for just him.  I put him in a package to get doolittle and madson.  I round out the deal with guys like Treinen, who folks still think has great stuff, and almost any arm in out minors.