Author Topic: Nats get a shut out; Harp hits 2 HR, and...  (Read 4543 times)

Offline HondoKillebrew

Good point about show format.

I remember Beatrice from when I first moved down here in 1993. Was he on the air at night?

Originally, he was on WMAL AM 630 at 7 pm (for 2 hours?) on weeknights.  When WTEM AM 570 started in '91 or '92, he was on that station for a brief period but his heyday was his time on WMAL.  He was a quirky guy with a nasally voice and Boston accent, but he had a lot of devoted listeners.  Whether or not he was 100% accurate, he did know a lot and, growing up listening to him, I really enjoyed his show.  He passed away a couple of years ago. 

Offline aBaltoNat

The stuff you old folks complain about is draining.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Originally, he was on WMAL AM 630 at 7 pm (for 2 hours?) on weeknights.  When WTEM AM 570 started in '91 or '92, he was on that station for a brief period but his heyday was his time on WMAL.  He was a quirky guy with a nasally voice and Boston accent, but he had a lot of devoted listeners.  Whether or not he was 100% accurate, he did know a lot and, growing up listening to him, I really enjoyed his show.  He passed away a couple of years ago. 

...   and he didn't eat curly fries.    :)

I may be wrong (JCA can straighten me out) but I think I used to hear him on occasion on WBZ 1030.

Offline mdnatsfan

I remember. Maybe his facts weren't the best but he was good. Then there was Al Michaels on TV. Sports machine. The quality of on air sports coverage in this town has really deteriorated to garbage.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

I remember. Maybe his facts weren't the best but he was good. Then there was Al Michaels on TV. Sports machine. The quality of on air sports coverage in this town has really deteriorated to garbage.

You mean George Michael from Channel 4. Combined with Glenn Brenner at Channel 9 (who was taken way too soon), those were the glory days of sports coverage on local TV. It's a complete joke nowadays.

Offline aspenbubba

I remember Beatrice and I loved listening to him ( that was when I could hear). Always thought he played no favorites and was very knowledgeable on most sports and who the prospects were. He had call ins and "You're next". Also liked Warner Wolf , a local guy who graduated to NYC radio and TV. Have no clue what happened to him as I didn't visit NY often.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
You mean George Michael from Channel 4. Combined with Glenn Brenner at Channel 9 (who was taken way too soon), those were the glory days of sports coverage on local TV. It's a complete joke nowadays.

I remember the George Michael sports machine. I was a kid in South Carolina. That was one of the only ways to see national sports coverage. Loved it.

Offline mdnatsfan

I'm glad others agree that the coverage here sucks. I just put on 106.7....more kirk. As if anyone thought he was signing a LT deal!

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
...   and I think the whole damned staff at 106.7 is on a weight loss program.
they are having a tribute to Dr. Leonard's hair replacement treatment on NESN later this month.

And Beatrice was on WBZ.

Offline mitlen

they are having a tribute to Dr. Leonard's hair replacement treatment on NESN later this month.

And Beatrice was on WBZ.

Thanks JCA

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Nats get a shut out; Harp hits 2 HR, and...
« Reply #60: August 01, 2017, 10:55:49 AM »
Grant and Danny have been talking about Pryor's press conference for almost an hour :lmao:

Offline mitlen

« Reply #61: August 01, 2017, 11:19:36 AM »
Grant and Danny have been talking about Pryor's press conference for almost an hour :lmao:

I was tuned in while doin' my walkabout.   They teased us with the Nats and then  ...  boom  ....   football for 3 segments.   

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #62: August 01, 2017, 11:27:16 AM »

If only they had gotten Darvish, then we could get them to talk about the Nats...
Or maybe they should have signed one of the Ball children...

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #63: August 01, 2017, 12:17:00 PM »
Or RGIII.

If only they had gotten Darvish, then we could get them to talk about the Nats...
Or maybe they should have signed one of the Ball children...

Offline Optics

« Reply #64: August 01, 2017, 02:05:05 PM »
ESPN 980 doesn't even have an FM station anymore. Only AM or listen online.

Offline mdnatsfan

« Reply #65: August 01, 2017, 02:24:39 PM »

I tuned in the Junks at 8 am hoping to hear about the Nats and Gio's impressive outing. But NOOOOO. Had to hear the knob slobbering about Pryor. What a joke!

Look, T Pryor will be good, but he isn't even as good as DJax. But regardless. The Nats just made a huge trade. Just had 8 innings of no-hit baseball. Just had a closer close a game, and it isn't even the guy they just traded for to be the closer.

There are a ton of Nats stories! And let's not forget they have an instant storyline in that 34 guy who knocked in his, what, 80th rbi last night?

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #66: August 01, 2017, 02:31:33 PM »
You should have waited until 8:15.

I tuned in the Junks at 8 am hoping to hear about the Nats and Gio's impressive outing. But NOOOOO. Had to hear the knob slobbering about Pryor. What a joke!

Look, T Pryor will be good, but he isn't even as good as DJax. But regardless. The Nats just made a huge trade. Just had 8 innings of no-hit baseball. Just had a closer close a game, and it isn't even the guy they just traded for to be the closer.

There are a ton of Nats stories! And let's not forget they have an instant storyline in that 34 guy who knocked in his, what, 80th rbi last night?

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked

Offline mdnatsfan

« Reply #68: August 01, 2017, 02:47:39 PM »
You should have waited until 8:15.

Alas, my morning commute is 12 minutes. I live by that huge mormon compound and work in bethesda. Unfortunately for me, I don't get to sit in traffic like the rest of my DC-brethren.....   ;)

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #69: August 01, 2017, 06:36:31 PM »
They had 5 segments on the Nats and their Nats podcast came out today which was almost 90 minutes long.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #70: August 01, 2017, 06:39:44 PM »
They had 5 segments on the Nats and their Nats podcast came out today which was almost 90 minutes long.

I bailed after the first segment so they could finish the hour on football.    Caught the Jags interview at 11.    He's good.    Don't do the pod thing.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #71: August 01, 2017, 06:43:05 PM »
I bailed after the first segment so they could finish the hour on football.    Caught the Jags interview at 11.    He's good.    Don't do the pod thing.
Pods is all I do anymore.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #72: August 01, 2017, 09:52:50 PM »
Pods is all I do anymore.
so you are a pod person?  explains some things.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #73: August 01, 2017, 11:35:38 PM »
I pod my radio and laundry detergent.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #74: August 02, 2017, 09:10:19 AM »

What was the old black and white sci-fi movie about aliens invading earth in ....  plant/vegetable pods?    :old:

EDIT:    Googled it.    "Invasion of the Body Snatchers"

Invasion of the Body Snatchers is a 1956 American science fiction horror film produced by Walter Wanger, directed by Don Siegel, that stars Kevin McCarthy and Dana Wynter. The black and white film, shot in Superscope, was partially done in a film noir style.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasion_of_the_Body_Snatchers