Author Topic: Nats get a shut out; Harp hits 2 HR, and...  (Read 4515 times)

Offline mdnatsfan

Nats get a shut out; Harp hits 2 HR, and...
« Topic Start: July 15, 2017, 12:58:53 PM »
Turn on the radio today: Curt Cousins..... Please make it go away. Sick of this contract talk. Sports radio in DC is the absolute worst. It is like a soap opera and it is as if this city has ONE TEAM. They should rename the stations: Redskins Radio.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
Re: Nats get a shut out; Harp hits 2 HR, and...
« Reply #1: July 15, 2017, 01:08:04 PM »
Turn on the radio today: Curt Cousins..... Please make it go away. Sick of this contract talk. Sports radio in DC is the absolute worst. It is like a soap opera and it is as if this city has ONE TEAM. They should rename the stations: Redskins Radio.
In fairness, Kirk Cousins's contract status is much more important to the football team than one game is to the Nats.  But yes, the football team does seem to get a disproportionate amount of coverage.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #2: July 15, 2017, 01:11:39 PM »

The first hour of their show on 106.7 (9-10), Loverro and that other guy talked baseball.   The other station is Danny's radio station and nothing else should be expected.

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #3: July 15, 2017, 01:28:55 PM »
eh, monday is kinda of big thing happening and I am not even a Redskins fan, i dont think this is a fair example. Essentially this would be the equivalent if we knew in 2 days if this is Harper's last season as a Nat.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #4: July 15, 2017, 02:06:49 PM »
The local mediots will always fellate the Deadskins because a lot of simpletons in the DMV just never get tired of hearing about them.  They're following the money.

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #5: July 15, 2017, 02:34:08 PM »
Local sports talk radio is just AWFUL and there is little to no Nats coverage. 

The junkies don't even talk about sports, they just talk about getting free stuff.  I seriously think Chad Dukes is part of some kind of jobs program for the mentally handicapped.  Loverro is a fat slob.  Kevin and Cooley spend 4 hours a day discussing Kirk's contract.  Steve Czaban is passable I guess. 

Offline Monarch

« Reply #6: July 15, 2017, 04:04:34 PM »
The junkies open every show taking about the previous nights Nats game. Although I just pick and choose the podcasts from their show and rarely listen live.

Also DC is a football town. Plain and simple. I'm a NY Giants fan and a lot of New Yorkers complain that all they talk about is the Yankees 24-7 on their radio stations.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #7: July 15, 2017, 04:05:05 PM »
I'm glad I don't listen to talk radio anymore and that if I did, I don't live in the DMV. I really don't care for football.

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #8: July 15, 2017, 04:55:39 PM »
Local sports talk radio is just AWFUL and there is little to no Nats coverage. 

The junkies don't even talk about sports, they just talk about getting free stuff.  I seriously think Chad Dukes is part of some kind of jobs program for the mentally handicapped.  Loverro is a fat slob.  Kevin and Cooley spend 4 hours a day discussing Kirk's contract.  Steve Czaban is passable I guess.

Only show i really listen to is Grant and Danny. they talk alot of Nats.

Offline SkinsNatFan21RIP

« Reply #9: July 15, 2017, 06:49:44 PM »
The Redskins are the most popular team in the area. This same thing goes on in every city. It's not that big of a deal.

Offline mitlen

The Redskins are the most popular team in the area. This same thing goes on in every city. It's not that big of a deal.

Not to necessarily disagree but other towns I've been to and around spend more time on their other sports (non-NFL) than DC ...  particularly in the off-season.

Offline SkinsNatFan21RIP

Not to necessarily disagree but other towns I've been to and around spend more time on their other sports (non-NFL) than DC ...  particularly in the off-season.

I think this particular instance has more to do with the franchise tag deadline approaching. QB news in DC is always top billing. I'd say the Caps fans have it far worse than any other team in this area. They've been good for 10+ years and nobody seems to care.

Offline mitlen

I think this particular instance has more to do with the franchise tag deadline approaching. QB news in DC is always top billing. I'd say the Caps fans have it far worse than any other team in this area. They've been good for 10+ years and nobody seems to care.

Yeah Cousins is understandably suckin' the air out of the other sport's talk.   

Offline MorseTheHorse

This is not true.  Philly and NY spend a lot more time on their other teams. 

Offline SkinsNatFan21RIP

This is not true.  Philly and NY spend a lot more time on their other teams. 

Do you think St. Louis spent as much time on the Rams as they did with the Cardinals? Or anything in Texas gets as much talk as the Cowboys? It's not exclusive to this area.

The Bullets/Wizards have been horrible forever and the Caps and Nats have won nothing. The Redskins have three Super Bowl titles and have been to five. It's not really hard to understand why they're so popular in this area even in the off-season. With that said, local sports talk is insufferable. Grant and Danny are absolutely awful and 980 is just Cooley being stupid at this point. Don't expect anything groundbreaking from here.

Online HalfSmokes

Looks at local tv ratings, they talk about sports people care about, hockey barely registers, same with baseball. Baseball get air time because it's regular season occurs during footballs' dead time

Offline mitlen

Do you think St. Louis spent as much time on the Rams as they did with the Cardinals? Or anything in Texas gets as much talk as the Cowboys? It's not exclusive to this area.

The Bullets/Wizards have been horrible forever and the Caps and Nats have won nothing. The Redskins have three Super Bowl titles and have been to five. It's not really hard to understand why they're so popular in this area even in the off-season. With that said, local sports talk is insufferable. Grant and Danny are absolutely awful and 980 is just Cooley being stupid at this point. Don't expect anything groundbreaking from here.

On my trips to Pittsburgh in the winter, I'm surprised at how much time they spend on the Pirates  ...  and even college football.

Offline SkinsNatFan21RIP

Looks at local tv ratings, they talk about sports people care about, hockey barely registers, same with baseball. Baseball get air time because it's regular season occurs during footballs' dead time

I mean, that was the point I was trying to make. In more of a round about sort of way I suppose. Football is pretty much in a different stratosphere in this country. It's religion at this point.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Who cares about a baseball game in July? The dysfunction at Redskins Park is riviting

Offline mitlen

Who cares about a baseball game in July? The dysfunction at Redskins Park is riviting

I was at the pool today talking to the missus.    Told her, "Football season starts soon and I'll be drinking rum again."    Young fella heard my comment and asked me what I drink.     I told him, "Captain Morgan's Black;  three fingers in a rock glass  ...  neat."     I told him a quart per Steelers' game and he sez, "I'm a 'skins' fan.   I do a half gallon."      Man, that was a good line.

Offline More of #34

I'm interested in the Nats and the Redskins.  Cousins is big news and so is the Nats' bullpen.  I want to know whether the Skins sign Cousins and the Nats sign a closer.  Right now, the Nats are more important with the fantastic season they're having but as soon as football starts, I'll be just as much into that.

Offline Ray D

They should rename the stations: Redskins Radio.
   Actually, that is it's name. Seriously.  It is owned by Snyder and he named it Redskins Radio.  The joke around town is that the name has now been changed to Kirk Cousins Radio.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
I'm interested in the Nats and the Redskins.  Cousins is big news and so is the Nats' bullpen.  I want to know whether the Skins sign Cousins and the Nats sign a closer. 
I'm thinking a Nats deal for a closer would be a huge story, only topped by a Cousins deal in the news.

Online HondoKillebrew

As for the local sports talk radio issue, I think so much of the problem is that few of the hosts know much at all about baseball.  They just don't have anything to say.  Therefore, many of the shows will do an obligatory segment per day about the Nats, with the discussion picking up during the post season, but that's it.  They simply don't know what to say.  Grant and Danny are the most notable exceptions on 106.7.  Al Galdi does a good job with baseball on the AM station, but he doesn't have a huge role there. 

Online HalfSmokes

Grant and Danny are slowly turning into standard sports talk radio wind bags. The only one I can stand is Czabian and that's just because even he knows he's absurd and he at least makes me laugh once in a while