Author Topic: What to trade?  (Read 48032 times)

Offline Mattionals

Re: What to trade for?
« Reply #75: July 14, 2017, 11:03:26 AM »
I think the Twins and Diamondbacks may be in the market for a closer, particularly as a wild card team. Whether or not they're willing to pay money may be an issue, but neither one of them have anything spectacular at the closer spot.

Still, the Nationals have zero leverage right now. Everyone knows what they need. Everyone is going to ask for the moon. There are very few, "must trade" relief candidates at this point.

I agree the Nats have no leverage, so there is no "cheap package" out there for anyone. I just think if the Nats are giving up Soto, they shouldn't "just" get Robertson. The fact that he is at the top of his value right now and his walk stats just scare the hell out of me. In the offseason, it made sense when it was Kieboom and Luzardo. Now having to pay more than that when there are other guys out there who are probably just as good for a similar price (Soto plus) makes me want to avoid him.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #76: July 14, 2017, 11:08:51 AM »
Now that it looks like our TV deal is settled - let's go get Giancarlo Stanton.   :stir:

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #77: July 14, 2017, 11:13:13 AM »
Felipe Rivero.   :stir:

Offline hotshot

« Reply #78: July 14, 2017, 11:22:58 AM »
Now that it looks like our TV deal is settled - let's go get Giancarlo Stanton.   :stir:

In terms of actually seeing the first dime from Angelos, our TV deal is FAR from settled. Yesterday was a victory, but a relatively minor one with another appeal to come and then uncertain arbitration.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #79: July 14, 2017, 11:28:17 AM »
Good to see you are still willing to concede one game of a five game playoff series. How did that work last year?
Conceding one game (if that's how you see it) was a reasonable risk to take.  We lost both games that Scherzer started.  Game 5 wasn't Scherzer's fault but nevertheless you don't expect to lose both starts from your ace Cy Young pitcher. Especially, both at home.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #80: July 14, 2017, 11:33:25 AM »
Good to see you are still willing to concede one game of a five game playoff series. How did that work last year?  And having Ross and Roark in the pen for the playoffs is better than most of what we have now.

Ross and Roark suck. How does adding two more crappy pitchers to the pen fix the pen?

Also, every time Ross pitches, we seem to score ten runs. I'm pretty okay with him starting in the playoff game if he's healthy.

Offline whytev

« Reply #81: July 14, 2017, 11:37:27 AM »
Ross and Roark suck. How does adding two more crappy pitchers to the pen fix the pen?

Also, every time Ross pitches, we seem to score ten runs. I'm pretty okay with him starting in the playoff game if he's healthy.

If we keep up the scoring like that he can start game one.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #82: July 14, 2017, 11:37:34 AM »
Whether Ross sucks or not, we're not sure if he's even healthy. Plus, I think Scherzer, Stras (barring injury, of course...), Gio and Gray would be a very good playoffs rotation.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #83: July 14, 2017, 11:37:49 AM »
Conceding one game (if that's how you see it) was a reasonable risk to take.  We lost both games that Scherzer started.  Game 5 wasn't Scherzer's fault but nevertheless you don't expect to lose both starts from your ace Cy Young pitcher. Especially, both at home.
With all the innings he pitches and the way Dusty handles thins he will likely be worn down again.

It's the playoffs also. You generally are not facing chopped liver

I'm a minority of one here but more worried about the starters come playoff time based on their playoff track records. Ideally the starters will pitch 7 innings every game. Last playoffs I believe the bullpen pitched more innings than the starters in the NLDS. Even if you fix the pen that's a recipe for disaster in a long series. Or they will be worn down by the NLCS if you win the first series. Starters pitch more innings so they are more important.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #84: July 14, 2017, 11:38:33 AM »
Whether Ross sucks or not, we're not sure if he's even healthy. Plus, I think Scherzer, Stras (barring injury, of course...), Gio and Gray would be a very good playoffs rotation.
You get it.

Offline whytev

« Reply #85: July 14, 2017, 11:38:41 AM »
With all the innings he pitches and the way Dusty handles thins he will likely be worn down again.

It's the playoffs also. You generally are not facing chopped liver

I'm a minority of one here but more worried about the starters come playoff time based on their playoff track records. Ideally the starters will pitch 7 innings every game. Last playoffs I believe the bullpen pitched more innings than the starters in the NLDS. Even if you fix the pen that's a recipe for disaster in a long series. Or they will be worn down by the NLCS if you win the first series. Starters pitch more innings so they are more important.

That ratio shifts in the playoffs though.  Even with Dusty.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #86: July 14, 2017, 11:40:20 AM »

Ross and Roark are better than some of the other slop we have out there. Ross with the 2 pitches seems made for the pen. And it might help Tanner.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #87: July 14, 2017, 11:41:34 AM »
That ratio shifts in the playoffs though.  Even with Dusty.
It shifted mightily last year because the starters crapped the bed. Other than Max in game 5. Just look at the numbers.

Offline whytev

« Reply #88: July 14, 2017, 11:44:40 AM »
Ross and Roark are better than some of the other slop we have out there. Ross with the 2 pitches seems made for the pen. And it might help Tanner.

Ross is toast.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #89: July 14, 2017, 11:45:08 AM »
Until we get in to the sixth inning and we have to pull Stras/Gio/Gray and rely on Joe Blanton, Blake Treinen, and Enny Romero to hold a one run lead

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #90: July 14, 2017, 11:45:44 AM »

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #91: July 14, 2017, 11:45:51 AM »
Until we get in to the sixth inning and we have to pull Stras/Gio/Gray and rely on Joe Blanton, Blake Treinen, and Enny Romero to hold a one run lead
...which is why I said I'd need Madson and/or Doolittle, too.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #92: July 14, 2017, 11:46:54 AM »

So your solution is to replace really awful with simply bad?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #93: July 14, 2017, 11:47:25 AM »
His proposed trade was also for getting a reliever. I also said they need to pick up pen help.

How about Roark, Romero and the Robertson for the last three innings.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #94: July 14, 2017, 11:48:08 AM »
So your solution is to replace really awful with simply bad?
Every little bit helps.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #95: July 14, 2017, 11:50:34 AM »
His proposed trade was also for getting a reliever. I also said they need to pick up pen help.

Eh, not sure I want Roark in that role. I'd rather try and get him figured out as a starter. Then they can figure out what his playoff role will be best, if any at all.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #96: July 14, 2017, 12:09:51 PM »
Eh, not sure I want Roark in that role. I'd rather try and get him figured out as a starter. Then they can figure out what his playoff role will be best, if any at all.

I'm starting to think that Tanner is broken.    :(

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #97: July 14, 2017, 12:16:17 PM »
I'm starting to think that Tanner is broken.    :(
Possible. Or he's having a bad season. That happens sometimes. I don't see any noticeable difference in his velocity or anything alarming like that.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #98: July 14, 2017, 12:25:08 PM »

Well he clearly wasn't worn down in game 5, the very end of the season.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #99: July 14, 2017, 12:40:00 PM »

So you want a guy with an ERA of 7.94 in his first inning pitched, and another reliever who gives up 1.36 homers every 9 innings pitched and whom lefties are hitting .305/.388/.517 against this season to hold a one run lead for anywhere from 2-4 innings in a playoff game?