Author Topic: What to trade?  (Read 47692 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: What to trade for?
« Reply #50: July 13, 2017, 06:33:22 PM »
Cubs seem to have an endless supply of highly desirable prospects to use in trades. Each year a new wave of chips to go "all in" with.

Only since Epstein

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #51: July 13, 2017, 06:34:33 PM »
Cubs seem to have an endless supply of highly desirable prospects to use in trades. Each year a new wave of chips to go "all in" with.

The Cubs were really bad for a while. Theo was/is really smart at running a team and traded useful players and signed bounce back candidates that could be dealt at the deadline each year. It's not like they sneaked up on anyone. But to make a point...

They don't have any more in Baseball America's Top 100 after the Quintana trade.

Exactly this. This is there throw into the fire because they don't have reliable pitching at this point. Arrieta has lost a step and looks more like last year (slightly more refined than what he was on the Borioles) and is not going to be re-signed at season's end. Lackey is toast and will probably retire at season's end. Brett Anderson is awful and won't be retained. Hendricks isn't what he was last season, namely because everything but his changeup is iffy at best. Lester is still the ace of the staff, but is closer to what he was for the Sox then what he was last season. That leaves them with Montgomery and Butler. Not a duo that any MLB club is "afraid" of.

As to all who said they will make a move for Gray or any other "big name" starter, the Cubs basically just traded their last big chips even if they were to try and center an offer around Schwarber. The Cubs made their big move to try and right the ship for the remainder of the season, but also they are trying to re-stock the MLB team's pitching. Remember all those claims three seasons ago when the Cubs and the Mets were "legandary trade partners" because the Mets had arms but no bats, and the Cubs had bats but no arms? Well they both got to the last dance, the Mets lost and are stuggling to get back because they basically have run their arms into the ground. The Cubs won it all but realize that not having any arms really hurts when the offense falters.

I don't think that move is enough to get past the Brewers, as the bats need to bounce back. The Brew crew can slug with the best of them, and especially in the "juiced ball era", they can make mediocre pitching look even worse with one or two swings of the bat.

Offline dshawg77

« Reply #52: July 13, 2017, 06:44:41 PM »
I have been saying since last season that the Nats and Orioles are a perfect fit for Brach. Keep Britton-I am not convinced he is 100% healthy. Get Brach.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #53: July 13, 2017, 07:47:10 PM »
I'll take Kahnle and Robertson for a package of Soto, Luzardo, and somehow convincing old Teddy to pick up Robertson's salary. Then trade Kieboom and a lesser arm to Oakland for Doolittle.

Closer - Robertson
Set-Up RHP - Kahnle
Set-Up LHP - Doolittle
7th inning - Romero
7th inning - Albers
LOOGY - Perez
Mop-Up - Treinen

Option Treinen if Glover ever gets healthy.

Offline hotshot

« Reply #54: July 13, 2017, 08:12:19 PM »
You have a higher opinion of Glover than I do. More hits than IP, 5.12 ERA and a couple blown saves -- just another subpar reliever.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #55: July 13, 2017, 08:45:01 PM »
You have a higher opinion of Glover than I do. More hits than IP, 5.12 ERA and a couple blown saves -- just another subpar reliever.

WHIP isn't a good indicator for a reliever, and Glover is 1.24 with only 19.1 innings pitched. That's perfectly fine, and would likely go down as he pitched more innings given what he has shown so far. His results when healthy have been good, he just can't seem to stay healthy, or tell anyone when he is hurting and then hurts himself more.

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #56: July 13, 2017, 08:56:21 PM »
I have been saying since last season that the Nats and Orioles are a perfect fit for Brach. Keep Britton-I am not convinced he is 100% healthy. Get Brach.
for once i agree with you

Offline Slateman

« Reply #57: July 13, 2017, 11:55:57 PM »
I'll take Kahnle and Robertson for a package of Soto, Luzardo, and somehow convincing old Teddy to pick up Robertson's salary. Then trade Kieboom and a lesser arm to Oakland for Doolittle.

Closer - Robertson
Set-Up RHP - Kahnle
Set-Up LHP - Doolittle
7th inning - Romero
7th inning - Albers
LOOGY - Perez
Mop-Up - Treinen

Option Treinen if Glover ever gets healthy.

I think Soto is barely enough for Robertson. Kahnle would cost a ton.

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #58: July 14, 2017, 05:57:26 AM »
i really would want O'Day but that contract has 3 more years on it.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #59: July 14, 2017, 07:07:46 AM »
Less than three weeks to the non-waiver deadline.

DO SOMETHING, RIZZO!

:whip:

On a side note, how does everyone here follow the trade rumors (it's childish, I know, but I love it!)?  Twitter?

Offline Slateman

« Reply #60: July 14, 2017, 07:12:53 AM »
i really would want O'Day but that contract has 3 more years on it.
That's pretty much the only reason the Orioles would consider trading him at this point. But I don't see the Orioles doing any deals with us in the near future.

Less than three weeks to the non-waiver deadline.

DO SOMETHING, RIZZO!

:whip:

On a side note, how does everyone here follow the trade rumors (it's childish, I know, but I love it!)?  Twitter?

r/baseball and http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #61: July 14, 2017, 07:34:10 AM »
Ya mean to say that there's nobody named Taylor or Tyler that we can target?

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #62: July 14, 2017, 07:43:44 AM »
Ya mean to say that there's nobody named Taylor or Tyler that we can target?

This guy would be perfect.  He just needs to be converted into a reliever.

http://www.golhu.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=69

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #63: July 14, 2017, 09:13:23 AM »
I think Soto is barely enough for Robertson. Kahnle would cost a ton.

I wrote that out and then read the Svrluga article about the deadline. I think you are right in that Soto is going to be barely enough for Robertson now. The donside is that barring an injury to another team's closer, I think the White Sox are somewhat stuck with Robertson because of his contract. I don't see a team that needs late inning help willing to give up hat the Sox are asking AND take on salary. The only contenders that lack a true closer are the Nats and DBacks, and the other teams looking to upgrade their bullpens seem to be looking at the set up market.

I'm not a fan of giving up Soto just for Robinson, especially since I'm not a big fan of Robertson's BB/9 numbers as they seem to be trending in the wrong direction. My guess is that Robles and Fedde are still here after the deadline, but Soto, Kieboom, and Luzardo are all dealt.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #64: July 14, 2017, 09:21:25 AM »
I wrote that out and then read the Svrluga article about the deadline. I think you are right in that Soto is going to be barely enough for Robertson now. The donside is that barring an injury to another team's closer, I think the White Sox are somewhat stuck with Robertson because of his contract. I don't see a team that needs late inning help willing to give up hat the Sox are asking AND take on salary. The only contenders that lack a true closer are the Nats and DBacks, and the other teams looking to upgrade their bullpens seem to be looking at the set up market.

I'm not a fan of giving up Soto just for Robinson, especially since I'm not a big fan of Robertson's BB/9 numbers as they seem to be trending in the wrong direction. My guess is that Robles and Fedde are still here after the deadline, but Soto, Kieboom, and Luzardo are all dealt.

I think the Twins and Diamondbacks may be in the market for a closer, particularly as a wild card team. Whether or not they're willing to pay money may be an issue, but neither one of them have anything spectacular at the closer spot.

Still, the Nationals have zero leverage right now. Everyone knows what they need. Everyone is going to ask for the moon. There are very few, "must trade" relief candidates at this point.

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #65: July 14, 2017, 09:42:40 AM »
My kingdom for Osuna.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #66: July 14, 2017, 10:32:19 AM »
Sonny Gray.

Offline Slateman

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #68: July 14, 2017, 10:36:36 AM »
Red Sox DFA Kung Fu Panda. 

Bench bat?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #69: July 14, 2017, 10:40:06 AM »
Why?
Because I like him. And we like to trade with Beane.

Need a fourth starter for the rest of the year will be miserable. And then Ross can move to the pen. Same for Roark in the playoffs.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #70: July 14, 2017, 10:41:04 AM »
Sonny Gray.
I could get on board with that if Madson and/or Doolittle were included in that. I'd even put Robles or Fedde on the table there (plus a couple pieces below that).

Offline Slateman

« Reply #71: July 14, 2017, 10:42:17 AM »
Because I like him. And we like to trade with Beane.

Need a fourth starter for the rest of the year will be miserable. And then Ross can move to the pen. Same for Roark in the playoffs.
Glad to see regular season success is the primary concern.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #72: July 14, 2017, 10:45:40 AM »
Glad to see regular season success is the primary concern.
Good to see you are still willing to concede one game of a five game playoff series. How did that work last year?  And having Ross and Roark in the pen for the playoffs is better than most of what we have now.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #73: July 14, 2017, 10:46:11 AM »
I could get on board with that if Madson and/or Doolittle were included in that. I'd even put Robles or Fedde on the table there (plus a couple pieces below that).
Yes. Need a reliever also.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #74: July 14, 2017, 11:01:14 AM »

Gray & Madson

for

Fedde, Severino, Goodwin, Blake Perkins/other low-level upside guy?

That's our #2 prospect, #8 prospect, MLB-ready OF who is playing well, and a low-level high upside guy

my trade proposal sucks but, whatever