Author Topic: What to trade?  (Read 47724 times)

Offline Glockypoo

Re: What to trade for?
« Reply #25: July 12, 2017, 12:24:46 PM »
Am I crazy in thinking that we could use another bench player? Obviously bullpen is need #1.

Where would they fit in on the 25? A decision on Goodwin or Raburn will have to be made once Werth and MAT come back.

The other spots seem pretty much set (Drew, Lind and Lobaton for sure) and Heisey seems like a sure bet to stick as a RPH.

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #26: July 12, 2017, 01:20:45 PM »
i think what everyone who keeps saying the prices are the same as last year are forgetting is that the draft pick compensation is different now. So holding on to FA really is not worth it anymore. Better to trade for prospects who are closer to maybe contributing.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #27: July 12, 2017, 01:33:26 PM »
Well, Kopech is the top righty pitching prospect now I think, so that's probably better than Giolito/ Dunning.  I forget what else they gave up. 

Offline Glockypoo

« Reply #28: July 12, 2017, 01:48:44 PM »
Well, Kopech is the top righty pitching prospect now I think, so that's probably better than Giolito/ Dunning.  I forget what else they gave up. 

Kopech is obviously a very good prospect but these days I think Alex Reyes is widely considered the top RHP prospect in baseball.

Don't know much about the other two pieces the BoSox gave up other than they're not currently on any 100 lists.

Regardless, we also offered Lopez in addition to Robles, Giolito and Dunning. That was a pretty competitive package.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #29: July 12, 2017, 02:07:37 PM »
Kopech is obviously a very good prospect but these days I think Alex Reyes is widely considered the top RHP prospect in baseball.

Don't know much about the other two pieces the BoSox gave up other than they're not currently on any 100 lists.

Regardless, we also offered Lopez in addition to Robles, Giolito and Dunning. That was a pretty competitive package.

Robles and Moncada are, at best, a wash, and, frankly, Moncada is probably better. He's more refined and has a higher floor. Robles might very well be McCutchen. He also might be Jarod DYson or Desmond Jennings.

Giolito is, frankly, a bust at this point. Kopech is a better prospect.

Robles and Dunning appear to be bullpen material.

Offline Glockypoo

« Reply #30: July 12, 2017, 02:09:14 PM »

No doubt.

Offline Optics

« Reply #31: July 12, 2017, 02:14:47 PM »
Relief relief relief. At this point its as much quantity as quality. Need 2 arms minimum, maybe 3, if we can't get a legit lockdown closer.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32: July 12, 2017, 03:09:30 PM »
Robles and Moncada are, at best, a wash, and, frankly, Moncada is probably better. He's more refined and has a higher floor. Robles might very well be McCutchen. He also might be Jarod DYson or Desmond Jennings.

Robles and Dunning appear to be bullpen material.

Here's the thing. Everyone (in the media) thought Giolito was a high value prospect. That isn't turning out to be the case and it looks like Rizzo made a good move. So if he really thinks Robles is worthy of being untouchable, I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #33: July 12, 2017, 04:16:33 PM »
Granted the Nats haven't really dealt a lot of "big talent" away in trades, but which players have actually blossomed to be better than who was traded for? Robbie Ray is the first to come to mind, but everyone else has been worse than what the Nats got in return.

I'm also really confused about how to value relievers. Felipe was given up last year and looks great for the Pirates, but has a weird .185 BABIP that he has never seen before. Sustainable? For a starter it would be a huge NO, but for a reliever, I have no idea.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #34: July 12, 2017, 04:24:18 PM »
Granted the Nats haven't really dealt a lot of "big talent" away in trades,
Future MVP Max Schrock

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #35: July 12, 2017, 04:26:34 PM »
Granted the Nats haven't really dealt a lot of "big talent" away in trades, but which players have actually blossomed to be better than who was traded for? Robbie Ray is the first to come to mind, but everyone else has been worse than what the Nats got in return.
But seriously, the only other decent example is Nate Karns, and even he (1) isn't that great, and (2) got us Rivero, whom you already mentioned.

Offline dshawg77

« Reply #36: July 13, 2017, 08:39:23 AM »
no he was in that trade, they wanted Trea Turner, Robles and Giolito. we offered Robles, Giolito, Lopez and Dunning.

Thank you for your post-is this accepted as common fact ( I understand there isn't exactly proof)?

Offline Slateman

« Reply #37: July 13, 2017, 09:07:11 AM »
Thank you for your post-is this accepted as common fact ( I understand there isn't exactly proof)?

I would like to know this as well. Only evidence I can find is this: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/12/nationals-offered-victor-robles-lucas-giolito-reynaldo-lopez-in-chris-sale-bid.html
Doesn't mention Trea Turner.

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #38: July 13, 2017, 11:23:12 AM »
I would like to know this as well. Only evidence I can find is this: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/12/nationals-offered-victor-robles-lucas-giolito-reynaldo-lopez-in-chris-sale-bid.html
Doesn't mention Trea Turner.

They got that report from Barry Svrugla. It was said by many sources they wanted 1 MLB ready player for Sale and speculation was it was Turner. I remember seeing it in many places and also on MLB network.
https://www.google.com/nesn.com/2016/12/mlb-rumors-heres-what-nationals-offered-white-sox-for-chris-sale/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/nationals-journal/wp/2016/12/06/nationals-unwilling-to-part-with-trea-turner-lose-out-on-chris-sale/

Google is your friend.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #39: July 13, 2017, 11:57:46 AM »
They got that report from Barry Svrugla. It was said by many sources they wanted 1 MLB ready player for Sale and speculation was it was Turner. I remember seeing it in many places and also on MLB network.
https://www.google.com/nesn.com/2016/12/mlb-rumors-heres-what-nationals-offered-white-sox-for-chris-sale/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/nationals-journal/wp/2016/12/06/nationals-unwilling-to-part-with-trea-turner-lose-out-on-chris-sale/

Google is your friend.
So nothing that really confirms it, just speculation. Yoan Moncada wasn't MLB ready either so I am inclined to believe that it wasn't a non-MLB ready player that was the reason the Nationals' offer was declined. The Red Sox simply offered a better deal.

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #40: July 13, 2017, 12:04:28 PM »
So nothing that really confirms it, just speculation. Yoan Moncada wasn't MLB ready either so I am inclined to believe that it wasn't a non-MLB ready player that was the reason the Nationals' offer was declined. The Red Sox simply offered a better deal.
I dont think any trade speculation is ever "confirmed" but Srvugla is always close to the truth when it comes to Rizzo. he is the one who put out the report that it was the Lerners that nixed the Robertson deal. That post artixle by Janes seems like she is speaking from a place of certainty so it really is as close to confirm as you get.
I do agree the Red Sox deal is better unless Trea is in it and Moncada was considered MLB ready since to end the season was on the Sox roster

Offline tzinc

« Reply #41: July 13, 2017, 12:32:36 PM »
You cant predict that Ross Roark would suck but Stras has an injury history so be smart ... you couldnt predict that Goodwin Taylor would be good either ... but you could predict the Bp Closer situation

Isnt funny how the Cubs just get it done time and again

Offline monkeyhit

« Reply #42: July 13, 2017, 01:41:58 PM »
You cant predict that Ross Roark would suck but Stras has an injury history so be smart ... you couldnt predict that Goodwin Taylor would be good either ... but you could predict the Bp Closer situation

Better GMs make a difference perhaps.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #43: July 13, 2017, 01:45:52 PM »
I wonder if this gets the market moving now or not. Most everyone has been saying the market would be a late moving one.

I think there will be a bunch of moves in August, too.

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #44: July 13, 2017, 02:05:43 PM »

Cubs have more holes than just 1 starter though.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #45: July 13, 2017, 02:15:23 PM »
Cubs have more holes than just 1 starter though.
Yep. Kind of amazing how much their pitching has fallen off.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46: July 13, 2017, 02:44:49 PM »

Is this a serious comment? "Time and again"?  With the Cubs?  My sarcasm detector must be broken I guess.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47: July 13, 2017, 02:50:01 PM »
Yep. Kind of amazing how much their pitching has fallen off.

It is amazing. Lester, Lackey, Arrieta and Hendricks have a combined WARof 0.2

Offline hotshot

« Reply #48: July 13, 2017, 05:20:01 PM »
Cubs seem to have an endless supply of highly desirable prospects to use in trades. Each year a new wave of chips to go "all in" with.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #49: July 13, 2017, 05:42:37 PM »
Cubs seem to have an endless supply of highly desirable prospects to use in trades. Each year a new wave of chips to go "all in" with.

They don't have any more in Baseball America's Top 100 after the Quintana trade.