Author Topic: FP Baseball Philosophy, Hypothesis, Theory and Wisdom 101  (Read 4919 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
How many times have I sat here and heard FP's "insights" into baseball?    A couple of 'em  ...  crowd comments  ....   travel hardships  ....   Bryce "really hustlin' "   ...   playing the game the right way "right here, right now".     Maybe I watch too many games.   :shrug:

What are your favorite/infamous FP-isms and are you buyin' or callin' bullcrap?

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
"At The Highest Level"

How many times have I sat here and heard FP's "insights" into baseball?    A couple of 'em  ...  crowd comments  ....   travel hardships  ....   Bryce "really hustlin' "   ...   playing the game the right way "right here, right now".     Maybe I watch too many games.   :shrug:

What are your favorite/infamous FP-isms and are you buyin' or callin' bullcrap?

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
Can we make this a drinking game ?

Offline mitlen

Can we make this a drinking game ?

I only drink with Bob's mention of "St. Louis Cardinals" or a variation thereof.     That is other than before and after his comment.

Offline Ray D

Game on.

Offline Ray D

Some of Carpenter's idiocies bother me more than FP's.  "Slide piece".   "Jammage".  And I really hate "see you later".

Offline Ray D

Game on.
Oh, and "there goes the no hitter".

Offline NatsAllThe Way

"I'm starting to become a fan of seagulls because they like baseball and I like anybody who likes baseball." F.P. Santangelo (June 3, 2017 vs. the A's)

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
I like FP because he doesn't take himself too seriously. But, yeah, he and Bob get on my nerves simply because I watch them way too much.

FP's preoccupation with daily hitting stats bothers the crap out of me. Everything along the lines "he just went from 0-3 to 1-4" shows me he was kind of a selfish player.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Game on.

This! Like an ice-pick through the ear-drum.

Offline mitlen

:spit:

Offline Ray D

Drives my wife crazy too.

Offline monkeyhit

Bryce "really hustlin' "  He's so much a "bought" entity. Cannot stand him. I watch the other team's coverage. Mets and Barves announcers much better, for example.

Offline awbb

I like FP because he doesn't take himself too seriously. But, yeah, he and Bob get on my nerves simply because I watch them way too much.

FP's preoccupation with daily hitting stats bothers the crap out of me. Everything along the lines "he just went from 0-3 to 1-4" shows me he was kind of a selfish player.

From my minimal appreciation of his career, he wasn't particularly good. After being decent rookie and sophomore he dropped off and didn't hit much at all, probably came off the bench a lot or spot started in the later years.

As a result I can sort of sympathise the more value he would put on a hit after going 0-3 to start a game than Bryce Harper would or even MAT at the moment. For him to be able to point to 0.250 (higher than his career 0.245) on any given day was likely crucial for his confidence in his own ability as well as a ward against the chance of being DFA'd or being sent down. Of course that can be seen as selfish, but I think I get why he does it.

His fault is perhaps not appreciating the difference between his talent level and some of the Nats that are trotting out at the moment.

Offline DPMOmaha

A booth overhaul might be the biggest reason to hope for some MASN resolution soon.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
The only time FP really annoys me is when he's knocking fans for daring to have an opinion or when he seems to be making fun of Bob, who I think is harmless and does a decent job.  I don't mind the "there goes the no hitter" or "game on" stuff nearly as much as apparently some here do :lol:   

Offline houston-nat

Another FPism: "change seats"

And yeah, I hate See You Later.

Offline dracnal

From my minimal appreciation of his career, he wasn't a particularly good. After being decent rookie and sophomore he dropped off and didn't hit much at all, probably came off the bench a lot or spot started in the later years.

As a result I can sort of sympathise the more value he would put on a hit after going 0-3 to start a game than Bryce Harper would or even MAT at the moment. For him to be able to point to 0.250 (higher than his career 0.245) on any given day was likely crucial for his confidence in his own ability as well as a ward against the chance of being DFA'd or being sent down. Of course that can be seen as selfish, but I think I get why he does it.

His fault is perhaps not appreciating the difference between his talent level and some of the Nats that are trotting out at the moment.

One of the things FP was known for was sign stealing. He was apparently pretty good at tipping pitches to the batters, which is likely part of why he hit in front of Barry Bonds for a while.

Offline Ray D

One of the things FP was known for was sign stealing. He was apparently pretty good at tipping pitches to the batters, which is likely part of why he hit in front of Barry Bonds for a while.
Gotta get to second to tip pitches.  From what I know of his career he didn't get to second often.

Offline DPMOmaha

Gotta get to second to tip pitches.  From what I know of his career he didn't get to second often.
He was only with the Giants for one year and had the best year of his career, by a rather significant margin, that season, though he only started about 60 games and had about 250 AB's... He had 46 starts that year where he hit 1 or 2 in the lineup.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Why does each broadcaster have to invent a home-run call? Annoying:

- Gary Cohen, Mets TV: "It's outa here!!!"

- Michael Kay: "IT IS HIGH! IT IS DEEP!! IT'S A HOME RUN!!!". Or: "IT IS HIGH!!! IT IS DEEP!!!! IT IS caught near the warning track".

Offline mitlen

- Michael Kay: "IT IS HIGH! IT IS DEEP!! IT'S A HOME RUN!!!". Or: "IT IS HIGH!!! IT IS DEEP!!!! IT IS caught near the warning track".

I know you remember Mel Allen.    :old:

Offline dracnal

I don't mind most of them. I think it's fine for a play by play guy to have signature lines. That said, I cannot watch the Home Run Derby with the sound on because of the 'It's back ack ack ack ack ack ack ack ack ' idiot.

Offline Ray D

Shelby Whitfield's "Kiss it Goodbye" was the most annoying.

Offline NatsAllThe Way

From my minimal appreciation of his career, he wasn't a particularly good. After being decent rookie and sophomore he dropped off and didn't hit much at all, probably came off the bench a lot or spot started in the later years.

Saying it about, say, Danny Espinosa would be completely valid.