Author Topic: FP Baseball Philosophy, Hypothesis, Theory and Wisdom 101  (Read 1919 times)

Offline hotshot

Ray, Ron Menchine broadcast the Senators games from 1969-71. He might've been at the mic for the last out of the very last Senators game in '71. Earlier in the 60s, he did the Orioles pre- and post-game shows on WBAL. Just one of a number of sub-par announcers back then.

Online Ray D

He might've been at the mic for the last out of the very last Senators game in '71. 

Yes, that's the one thing I remember clearly about him.  His rant against the AL for letting the Senators leave DC. That was the one thing I liked about him.  (Except, there was no "last out".  "Last batter" is probably more accurate.)

Offline slhubic

Oh, and "there goes the no hitter".

I always used to say, to myself, "there goes the perfect game", first, and then "there goes the no-hitter", and then, "there goes the shutout"...

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Almost sounds like Bob and FP are aware they're on local commercial TV and have toned it down.

Offline awbb

Almost sounds like Bob and FP are aware they're on local commercial TV and have toned it down.

Commentators can dial it in too, clearly.

Offline Mathguy

• Whoa That Was A Good One ! Poke His Brain Here !
    • Outer Banks Beach House
Or they realize local Nats fans are making a mockery of them

Offline mitlen

Or they realize local Nats fans are making a mockery of them

:lol:

Offline DPMOmaha

• Take two of these 30 minutes before first pitch.
I have listened to very little C&D but my favourite call of Charlie's was on Tommy Milone's homer in his first Major League at bat. It was like was like someone just switched him over from 33 to 45rpm.

AND that same play highlighted an FPism: "Officially the coolest thing..."

Yer tiz:

If you're watching on MLB.TV, you can sync up the radio call. I do that almost every night. You should give it a shot, I think you'll enjoy them.

I remember watching that game, though. It was a pretty cool moment. Also, I remember being really excited about Milone. He's still collecting a big league pay check, so good on him.

Offline DPMOmaha

• Take two of these 30 minutes before first pitch.
Oh, and "there goes the no hitter".
I actually like that one.

Online bluestreak

I actually like that one.

FP must read this site. I heard him explaining a day or so ago the "there goes the no hitter" as a tribute to Felipe Alou, who said it every game. I like it.

I think that it's hard for TV announcers to be on all the time. And I think most fans can find annoyances with someone they listen to over 100 days a year. I'm not sure why it's not  the case for the radio, but I feel like it is.

I lived in Wisconsin for a while. To this day I'll still turn on a Brewers radio broadcast to hear Bob Uecker. He's that good. And even he seemed annoying sometimes on the TV.

I appreciate the insight FP gives on what pitchers and hitters think. He has an uncanny ability to predict the next pitch and he does a good job explaining why pitchers and batters do what they do.

I think all players think about their stats. I mean, maybe Bryce doesn't fear getting cut, but you don't think if he is on an 0-8 streak he isn't acutely aware?
Similarly do you think that Michael Taylor wasn't following his stat line when he first replaced Eaton? Given how everyone was telling him it was his last chance. Does that make him selfish?

Even in your team is winning all its games you'll get DFA'd if you have a bunch of 0-4 days. .250 is a good goal if you want to stay in the majors. And thinking about it one game at a time is a good way to go about it.

Parenthetically, I think the sole reason MAT is doing well is because Dusty told him the job was his for a while and he didn't have to worry about the day to day stats AS MUCH. Even as everyone on here and in the media was calling for Rizzo to get Cain or some other replacement. Dusty doesn't get near enough credit for that.

Also, FP predicted the MAT breakout two days after Eaton went down. So there is that.

Offline NatsAllThe Way

FP must read this site. I heard him explaining a day or so ago the "there goes the no hitter" as a tribute to Felipe Alou, who said it every game. I like it.

I think that it's hard for TV announcers to be on all the time. And I think most fans can find annoyances with someone they listen to over 100 days a year. I'm not sure why it's not  the case for the radio, but I feel like it is.

I lived in Wisconsin for a while. To this day I'll still turn on a Brewers radio broadcast to hear Bob Uecker. He's that good. And even he seemed annoying sometimes on the TV.

I appreciate the insight FP gives on what pitchers and hitters think. He has an uncanny ability to predict the next pitch and he does a good job explaining why pitchers and batters do what they do.

I think all players think about their stats. I mean, maybe Bryce doesn't fear getting cut, but you don't think if he is on an 0-8 streak he isn't acutely aware?
Similarly do you think that Michael Taylor wasn't following his stat line when he first replaced Eaton? Given how everyone was telling him it was his last chance. Does that make him selfish?

Even in your team is winning all its games you'll get DFA'd if you have a bunch of 0-4 days. .250 is a good goal if you want to stay in the majors. And thinking about it one game at a time is a good way to go about it.

Parenthetically, I think the sole reason MAT is doing well is because Dusty told him the job was his for a while and he didn't have to worry about the day to day stats AS MUCH. Even as everyone on here and in the media was calling for Rizzo to get Cain or some other replacement. Dusty doesn't get near enough credit for that.

Also, FP predicted the MAT breakout two days after Eaton went down. So there is that.

...Every game except no hitters.

Offline mitlen

FP and Bob had a good game last night.     The extra inning win may have helped polish that apple but "well done boyz".   :clap:

Offline Optics

Bob and FP aren't bad. I've heard worse, much worse.