Author Topic: FP Baseball Philosophy, Hypothesis, Theory and Wisdom 101  (Read 1917 times)

Offline NatsAllThe Way

The only time FP really annoys me is when he's knocking fans for daring to have an opinion or when he seems to be making fun of Bob, who I think is harmless and does a decent job.  I don't mind the "there goes the no hitter" or "game on" stuff nearly as much as apparently some here do :lol:   

See you later is Carpenter.

Online Ray D

- Michael Kay: "IT IS HIGH! IT IS DEEP!! IT'S A HOME RUN!!!". Or: "IT IS HIGH!!! IT IS DEEP!!!! IT IS caught near the warning track".

I think Michael Kay's is "See Ya!"    I kind of like that, I like it much better than "See you later".  Don't know why, I suppose I just like Kay much more than Carpenter.

Offline welch

I know you remember Mel Allen.    :old:

Only from World Series or All-Star games. "Hi ever-body! This is Mel Allen". Followed by "And this is Red Barbah..."

I grew listening to Bob Wolff and Arch McDonald, but there are no recordings of their broadcasts.  "The Real Bob" donated more than a thousand hours of his broadcasts to the Smithsonian. Then, Hank Thomas, grandson of Walter Johnson, asked about Nats' broadcasts that "The Real Bob" did from 1947 to 1960, Wolff said that none of those were saved.

Offline NatsAllThe Way

Why does each broadcaster have to invent a home-run call? Annoying:

- Gary Cohen, Mets TV: "It's outa here!!!"

- Michael Kay: "IT IS HIGH! IT IS DEEP!! IT'S A HOME RUN!!!". Or: "IT IS HIGH!!! IT IS DEEP!!!! IT IS caught near the warning track".

This is the best one I've ever heard.

"This ball is long gone just like the ex-girlfriend who will never return a HOMERUN!!"

Online DPMOmaha

• Take two of these 30 minutes before first pitch.
There are only so many things you can say when something as common as a home run happens. Everybody develops crutch phrases.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Only from World Series or All-Star games. "Hi ever-body! This is Mel Allen". Followed by "And this is Red Barbah..."

I grew listening to Bob Wolff and Arch McDonald, but there are no recordings of their broadcasts.  "The Real Bob" donated more than a thousand hours of his broadcasts to the Smithsonian. Then, Hank Thomas, grandson of Walter Johnson, asked about Nats' broadcasts that "The Real Bob" did from 1947 to 1960, Wolff said that none of those were saved.

My boyz were my avatar (Prince) and The Possum (Woods).    I remember Allen primarily from the '60 series.    Chuck Thompson and Prince did some of the work as well.

OT   :couch:     "country hard ball"

Online Ray D

Chuck Thompson and Prince did some of the work as well.

Chuck Thompson Called the Mazeroski homerun.    He got the pitcher wrong!   The pitcher was Ralph Terry.  Can't remember which pitcher Thomson named, maybe Art Ditmar.

Offline skippy1999

• #squad
See you later is Carpenter.

I know, that's why I only listed FP'isms ;)
but I don't mind Carp's HR call, although his misjudging fly balls has gone from somewhat amusing to seriously annoying  >:(

Online houston-nat

This is the best one I've ever heard.

"This ball is long gone just like the ex-girlfriend who will never return a HOMERUN!!"

:lmao: that's fantastic

Online Ray D

I know, that's why I only listed FP'isms ;)
but I don't mind Carp's HR call, although his misjudging fly balls has gone from somewhat amusing to seriously annoying  >:(

Yeah. He should start saying "Still See You".

Online Ray D

Sorry to be so dense. What does it mean "ex-girlfriend who will never return a homerun"?

Online DPMOmaha

• Take two of these 30 minutes before first pitch.
Let's punctuate this a little differently.

"This ball is long gone just like the ex-girlfriend who will never return; a HOMERUN!!"

Online dcpatti

Not gonna lie. I love Bob and FP. Do not ask me to explain why, because I can't.

Online Ray D

Let's punctuate this a little differently.

"This ball is long gone just like the ex-girlfriend who will never return; a HOMERUN!!"
Thanks.   Got it now.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Not gonna lie. I love Bob and FP. Do not ask me to explain why, because I can't.

I really like 'em too but I still love to give 'em grief.    :)

Offline aBaltoNat

Same. But most of you already knew that.

Online Ray D

Not gonna lie neither.  Both annoy the hell out of me, and in different ways.  It's not about like or dislike.

Offline varoadking

I think part of it is C&D are so good. 

FP is a trainwreck on Red Bull...everything he says rubs me the wrong way...but especially the fan bashing...

Offline OldChelsea

• From the best seat in the house at Nationals Park
I think part of it is C&D are so good.  [...]

Basically true...once one gets accustomed to baseball nights with C&D it's hard to imagine live Nats coverage any other way.

Offline dracnal

I think part of it is C&D are so good. 

FP is a trainwreck on Red Bull...everything he says rubs me the wrong way...but especially the fan bashing...

I don't mind him except for the fan bashing and also those days when he feels the need to be a given player's apologist. Sorry, FP - no matter how often you say it, Danny Espinosa isn't the greatest #Anything hitter in baseball.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Everything along the lines "he just went from 0-3 to 1-4" shows me he was kind of a selfish player.

Most players think along those lines.

Online Ray D

Another thoroughly annoying FPism:  "If you don't like this game, you don't like baseball" .   Well freak you FP. Maybe I didn't like that game.  Don't tell me whether I like baseball or not.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
He was only with the Giants for one year and had the best year of his career, by a rather significant margin, that season, though he only started about 60 games and had about 250 AB's... He had 46 starts that year where he hit 1 or 2 in the lineup.
was that before or after he was a Radomski client?

Offline RobDibblesGhost

Why does each broadcaster have to invent a home-run call? Annoying:

- Gary Cohen, Mets TV: "It's outa here!!!"

Who is the Yankees TV guy who says "SEE YA!"? I thought that was Michael Kay. Isn't it John Sterling on the radio with "It is high! It is far! It is GONE!"?

Offline hotshot

Who did the radio for the expansion Senators in the 60s (other than Shelby Whitfield who is mentioned in this thread)? Seemed like different pairings every season. I recall Warner Wolf and Ray Scott. Who else?