Author Topic: Anyone else worried about the rotation's workload?  (Read 996 times)

Offline expos1994

The number one criticism of Dusty Baker is that he ruins arms by over working pitchers. He is basically hated by Cubs fans for ruining the arms of Mark Prior and Kerry Wood.
I'm sure I'm not the only one to notice that every starter goes 110+ in every game they're pitching well in.
I'm not only concerned about future health problems... but just being tired by the end of the season. Will the rotation be a bunch of dead-arms going into the playoffs?

Without out starting pitching this team is toast. Especially with the dumpster fire bullpen.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
With this bullpen does he have any choice?

Offline expos1994

I hear ya.. it's downright awful. I'm always hoping the starters can go deep into games just to limit the amount of innings the pen has to throw. Just worries me a little though. And somebody like Max Scherzer wants to throw until the final out is recorded... he would probably throw until his arm literally falls off if you let him.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball

That's the problem. Three of the starting pitchers are better pitching that extra inning than any of the relief pitchers.

Offline baldkid

The number one criticism of Dusty Baker is that he ruins arms by over working pitchers. He is basically hated by Cubs fans for ruining the arms of Mark Prior and Kerry Wood.
I'm sure I'm not the only one to notice that every starter goes 110+ in every game they're pitching well in.
I'm not only concerned about future health problems... but just being tired by the end of the season. Will the rotation be a bunch of dead-arms going into the playoffs?

Without out starting pitching this team is toast. Especially with the dumpster fire bullpen.

Wood and Prior had arm issues before Dusty
What is he to do? Use his pen liberally and get fired or use his starters to the MAX and be a contender
Seems that Rizzo and the Lerner lads have made this a no win situation for Johnnie B. Baker 

Offline Truconfidence

Wood and Prior had arm issues before Dusty
What is he to do? Use his pen liberally and get fired or use his starters to the MAX and be a contender
Seems that Rizzo and the Lerner lads have made this a no win situation for Johnnie B. Baker
People still blaming Rizzo for the pen. its the Lerners fault. we would have had Holland, Ziegler or Robertson had the Lerners not said no. Rizzo obviously wanted to bolster the pen and got pushback on his budget.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
Yes - take chances with Bullpen to keep starters strong - it would be a better approach

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Every other year people complain that the starters aren't going deep enough into games, this year we've been getting a ton of quality starts and now that's the problem.

Offline aspenbubba

People still blaming Rizzo for the pen. its the Lerners fault. we would have had Holland, Ziegler or Robertson had the Lerners not said no. Rizzo obviously wanted to bolster the pen and got pushback on his budget.
Didn't we see Ziegler in the Miami series? Holland at 7 mil coming off an injury ? Robertson having a questionable season last year at an inflated salary? We lost the top tier guys and the "B" level guys like Melancon signed elsewhere. I'm pretty sure I would not have pulled the trigger on any of your guys. I'm not saying we don't need a closer and a set-up guy but we will see what happens next month as teams drop out of contention.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Yes - take chances with Bullpen to keep starters strong - it would be a better approach

That way, come October, the starters would have fresh arms to watch the postseason on TV.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
Funny Spider - but the pen isn't that bad.  Just not as consistent as we'd like.  Another problem factoring in here is LOB stats

That way, come October, the starters would have fresh arms to watch the postseason on TV.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
The pen will be a lot better in October, with Roark and Ross.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Funny Spider - but the pen isn't that bad.  Just not as consistent as we'd like.  Another problem factoring in here is LOB stats

:doh:  you're a dumb ass

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.

:doh:  you're a dumb ass

Why is that spider?

Offline Truconfidence

Didn't we see Ziegler in the Miami series? Holland at 7 mil coming off an injury ? Robertson having a questionable season last year at an inflated salary? We lost the top tier guys and the "B" level guys like Melancon signed elsewhere. I'm pretty sure I would not have pulled the trigger on any of your guys. I'm not saying we don't need a closer and a set-up guy but we will see what happens next month as teams drop out of contention.
Reporting has said that Rizzo had a contract and/or trade to get each of these guys before the season started and the Lerners said no.

Offline dracnal

Every other year people complain that the starters aren't going deep enough into games, this year we've been getting a ton of quality starts and now that's the problem.

Look, it isn't WNFF if you aren't here to nag endlessly about quality production or defend the undefendable. You have to pick a side and be an Eeyore or a Piglet. Those are the only two choices except for Slate, who is Christopher Robin, endlessly toying with the minds and lives of those around him as he mocks them, rejects reality, and just generally makes no sense in the context of this metaphor.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Look, it isn't WNFF if you aren't here to nag endlessly about quality production or defend the undefendable. You have to pick a side and be an Eeyore or a Piglet. Those are the only two choices except for Slate, who is Christopher Robin, endlessly toying with the minds and lives of those around him as he mocks them, rejects reality, and just generally makes no sense in the context of this metaphor.

I would say Eeyore or Tigger. Piglet is pretty negative and neurotic.

Offline dracnal

I would say Eeyore or Tigger. Piglet is pretty negative and neurotic.

A very good point. That, or Roo.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Immensely. Particularly with Strasburg.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

mitlen with a ninja edit of what everyone else was already thinking...  :hysterical:

Offline mitlen

mitlen with a ninja edit of what everyone else was already thinking...  :hysterical:

Piglet is pretty negative and neurotic?

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Piglet is pretty negative and neurotic?

Yes...yes indeed...  :hysterical:

Offline mitlen

Yes...yes indeed...  :hysterical:

My better angels interceded.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator

I'm sorry I missed it. What did it say?

Offline dshawg77

I am terribly concerned. I think not having a closer impacts our most valuable assets. Just terrible management by the Learners.