Author Topic: Schwarber Optioned to AAA Iowa  (Read 1217 times)

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Schwarber Optioned to AAA Iowa
« Topic Start: June 22, 2017, 12:31:59 PM »
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/19706296/chicago-cubs-sending-kyle-schwarber-triple-clear-head

This sounds like a big deal, although he has been pretty terrible this year.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Re: Schwarber Optioned to AAA Iowa
« Reply #1: June 22, 2017, 01:01:29 PM »
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/19706296/chicago-cubs-sending-kyle-schwarber-triple-clear-head

This sounds like a big deal, although he has been pretty terrible this year.

This is also a dramatic move for the sake of making a dramatic move to shake things up.  That team didn't expect to be 1 game over .500 in June.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #2: June 22, 2017, 01:05:42 PM »
This is also a dramatic move for the sake of making a dramatic move to shake things up.  That team didn't expect to be 1 game over .500 in June.

They picked the right division to have a terrible first half in. They are 9 games or something behind the second wild card, yet still a heavy favorite to win their division.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3: June 22, 2017, 01:10:16 PM »
They picked the right division to have a terrible first half in. They are 9 games or something behind the second wild card, yet still a heavy favorite to win their division.

Basically any NL division other than the West.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #4: June 22, 2017, 01:28:54 PM »
Everyone said this guy was the most natural hitter in baseball. Apparently they were wrong.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #5: June 22, 2017, 01:31:26 PM »
Everyone said this guy was the most natural hitter in baseball. Apparently they were wrong.
IDK. He's had a bad year. He looked an awful lot like that description when he first came up and in the World Series last year.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #6: June 22, 2017, 02:03:59 PM »

I don't remember anyone saying this. 2015 was his breakout year as a prospect and the following guys were listed as having hit and power tools, as good or better than Schwarber in both categories, by Baseball America:

Kris Bryant
Byron Buxton
Addison Russell
Carlos Correa
Corey Seager (all above Schwarber overall as well)
Alex Jackson

I don't know if a couple guys were making him out to be the second coming for some weird reason (to make up for him being such a poor defensive player?) but out of his rookie class I don't see how you could put him over Bryant, Correa, Conforto, Sano, or Lindor as a hitting prospect.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #7: June 22, 2017, 02:08:42 PM »
I don't remember anyone saying this. 2015 was his breakout year as a prospect and the following guys were listed as having hit and power tools, as good or better than Schwarber in both categories, by Baseball America:

Kris Bryant
Byron Buxton
Addison Russell
Carlos Correa
Alex Jackson

I don't know if a couple guys were making him out to be the second coming for some weird reason (to make up for him being such a poor defensive player?) but out of his rookie class I don't see how you could put him over Bryant, Correa, Conforto, Sano, or Lindor as a hitting prospect.
Baseball America had him as the best hitting prospect in that draft. It was his defense that kept him from being drafted higher.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/2014-draft-focus-kyle-schwarber/

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #8: June 22, 2017, 02:18:25 PM »

Kris Bryant
Byron Buxton
Addison Russell
Carlos Correa
Alex Jackson

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2690718-kyle-schwarbers-about-to-get-a-lot-scarier-in-first-full-mlb-season

https://www.google.com/www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-kyle-schwarber-ranked-best-hitter-20141017-story,amp.html

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #9: June 22, 2017, 02:19:40 PM »
Baseball America had him as the best hitting prospect in that draft. It was his defense that kept him from being drafted higher.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/2014-draft-focus-kyle-schwarber/

That is a retrospective of the 2014 draft, written in late October 2016. I wonder if anything was happening in October 2016 that could have influenced this - any miracle returns to the World Series lineup? Anything like that?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #10: June 22, 2017, 02:21:17 PM »
That is a retrospective of the 2014 draft, written in late October 2016. I wonder if anything was happening in October 2016 that could have influenced this - any miracle returns to the World Series lineup? Anything like that?
The article I posted was from 2014.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #11: June 22, 2017, 02:23:57 PM »
Maybe, but those opinions were prevalent during the 2014 draft. The quotes they used were from around that time.

He was pretty widely considered the best hitter in that draft.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #12: June 22, 2017, 02:32:03 PM »
The article I posted was from 2014.

You said, most natural hitter in baseball, not best hitter in a single draft where 13 of the first 20 picks were pitchers.

There was never a moment where he was close to, say, Kris Bryant as a hitting prospect. Maybe a single offseason where he was a better hitting prospect than Michael Conforto.

My point is there's a huge difference between Roy Hobbs failing, and a good hitting prospect failing. Schwarber was never Roy Hobbs.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #13: June 22, 2017, 03:00:05 PM »
You said, most natural hitter in baseball, not best hitter in a single draft where 13 of the first 20 picks were pitchers.

There was never a moment where he was close to, say, Kris Bryant as a hitting prospect. Maybe a single offseason where he was a better hitting prospect than Michael Conforto.

My point is there's a huge difference between Roy Hobbs failing, and a good hitting prospect failing. Schwarber was never Roy Hobbs.
I know I heard it if I didn't read it before the season. But couldn't find that. The other article I posted said he was a beast.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #14: June 23, 2017, 07:19:07 AM »
Cubs suck.