Author Topic: Anybody experiencing this issue when posting?  (Read 7017 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Does that mean you'll be posting more?        :couch:

More frequently, average lesser content so the total quality will be the same high standard.

:P

Offline NJ Ave

I just randomly clicked here. A very entertaining thread. Thanks gentlemen.

:)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Chrome on my Chromebook. Smiley in-line. :)
Second line. Enter before the smiley.
Third line. Two enters before the smiley.

:shrug:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
So I am unable so far to update my home Chrome, must have some blocker in place.   :rant:

error code 4: 0x80070005

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
So I am unable so far to update my home Chrome, must have some blocker in place.   :rant:

Ah Bach

Offline dracnal

You may have an issue with windows update. That's typically what draws that error. I know Chrome relies on I.E. proxy settings and trusted sites. It might be using BITS as well for updates. Click start, type services.msc and hit enter. Make sure Background Intelligent Transfer Service is running.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
You may have an issue with windows update. That's typically what draws that error. I know Chrome relies on I.E. proxy settings and trusted sites. It might be using BITS as well for updates. Click start, type services.msc and hit enter. Make sure Background Intelligent Transfer Service is running.

I get lost here.  I assume it's that button in the bottom left corner but all it gives me is a long list of the available applications. 

Offline nats2playoffs

I get lost here.  I assume it's that button in the bottom left corner but all it gives me is a long list of the available applications.

For a good amount of Chrome, try a 1964 Buick Skylark. But don't drive it in the south (...and don't go anywhere near the Sac-O-Suds.)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
 :doh:

:lol:

Offline dracnal

That's correct - hit the button and just start typing. Should work unless you're running Windows 8. If you are, press Windows key+R. It should be between the left ctrl and alt keys.

Offline NatNasty

(Image removed from quote.)
For a good amount of Chrome, try a 1964 Buick Skylark. But don't drive it in the south (...and don't go anywhere near the Sac-O-Suds.)

Same goes for the Pontiac Tempest

Offline GburgNatsFan

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Somebody tell me an easy way to post pictures I've saved off to a hosting service.  Using the "share" button generally produces a link that does not display in WNFF.  I know it's got to be a .jpg file reference but it never seems easy.

I have another issue, I think I mentioned this to Chief a long time ago but can't remember for sure.    :old:

When doing a word search of old posts, once I review page 1 of the results, and try to go to say page 2 of x pages, nothing comes back.  Only the 1st page displays.  Can somebody try a search (on say, beer) and see if you can click through more than a page of search results?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
I searched on "beer" and only got your post above as a result.  I then searched on "capitals" and got no results (this is using the search box on every page).  If I click on the "search link" in the top row menu, then search on "beer" I get 20+ pages of results, but I repeat your issue in that clicking on page 2 returns a blank page.

I haven't had issues sharing images using the img tags.

Offline GburgNatsFan

The search abends if you select a subsequent page, just as you describe.
Somebody tell me an easy way to post pictures I've saved off to a hosting service.  Using the "share" button generally produces a link that does not display in WNFF.  I know it's got to be a .jpg file reference but it never seems easy.

I have another issue, I think I mentioned this to Chief a long time ago but can't remember for sure.    :old:

When doing a word search of old posts, once I review page 1 of the results, and try to go to say page 2 of x pages, nothing comes back.  Only the 1st page displays.  Can somebody try a search (on say, beer) and see if you can click through more than a page of search results?

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
The search abends if you select a subsequent page, just as you describe.

Use the Google search, enter your search terms, followed by site:WNFF.net

PowerBoater69 fluffer site:www.wnff.net

Offline dcpatti

Using the link you generate with the share button, copy it to Notepad, Notes app, whatever text editor you like (or even into a blank email if you don't have anything else.
Insert this text string in front of the link:  (img)  EXCEPT you want to change the ( ) to the square brackets
Insert this text string at the end of the link: (/img)  EXCEPT you want to change the ( ) to the square brackets as well

OR

copy the link to your image and paste it into your post, then highlight the link and click the little Mona Lisa button above the smileys bar and it will do it for you.

Personally I find the second method to be a pain in the ass on my ipad because it's hard to highlight just the link and not a bunch of extra random text, so I usually do it the first way.
Also the image doesn't always preview properly so if you did those steps and it previews blank, it might actually work properly once you post it. But I find this to be more of an issue with gifs than still images.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Patti, we do have a button (the tiny picture image at left of the group)  for enclosing a passage with the IMG brackets thing, but the link generated by "share" doesn't work.  Here's one, for example.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1i0dDFhsV3-hb5e3tBKzSLJvHtX9GhdP-/view?usp=sharing

Quote my post and you will be able to see the same link, enclosed in the img brackets, but the image does not appear in my post. 

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Use the Google search, enter your search terms, followed by site:WNFF.net

PowerBoater69 fluffer site:www.wnff.net

Ah, the "site" part I have not seen before, will try this, thanks.

Offline dcpatti

Patti, we do have a button (the tiny picture image at left of the group)  for enclosing a passage with the IMG brackets thing, but the link generated by "share" doesn't work.  Here's one, for example.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1i0dDFhsV3-hb5e3tBKzSLJvHtX9GhdP-/view?usp=sharing

Quote my post and you will be able to see the same link, enclosed in the img brackets, but the image does not appear in my post.

aah so the problem is with the link itself not being in the format that this forum likes for images.  I managed to get this one to work by following your link to open the image in Chrome, then right-clicking the image again and selecting Open In New Tab, then copying out that URL.  It doesn't have a file extension so I don't think that that is a requirement, but without knowing the inner workings of Google Drive, I can't explain why the second URL works while the first doesn't.   

ETA and I’ve managed to break it again. Whoops.

Offline imref

for google images: right click, click on open in a new tab, and then copy/paste from the URL window in the new tab.  For some reason if you right click in the google images page and select 'copy image link' the link is unusable.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
The search engine for the site is a third-party add-on.  The supported first party options were huge resource drains "back in the day".  I could probably try them again now since we're on a better server.  It's honestly just not something I've spent much time on since I'm perpetually waiting for the next big version of the forum software.

FYI, the built-in search box at the top of the page only searches the currently viewed thread or subsection.  To search the whole forum you'd have to be on the main index or use the advanced search link.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
aah so the problem is with the link itself not being in the format that this forum likes for images.  I managed to get this one to work by following your link to open the image in Chrome, then right-clicking the image again and selecting Open In New Tab, then copying out that URL.  It doesn't have a file extension so I don't think that that is a requirement, but without knowing the inner workings of Google Drive, I can't explain why the second URL works while the first doesn't.   

ETA and I’ve managed to break it again. Whoops.

That's exactly it.  Look at the Tempest pic above - it's a .jpg file that is being linked.  I just don't know where/how to save off a picture that I can then link to with a .jpg format file.

Offline imref

anyone else not seeing embedded Youtube videos when viewing the site using Safari on a Mac?  Chrome is working fine.