Author Topic: Shawn Kelley is an unmitigated disaster  (Read 3326 times)

Offline aspenbubba

Re: Shawn Kelley is an unmitigated disaster
« Reply #25: September 09, 2017, 04:09:57 PM »
That's as ridiculous as it gets. 

But still, it's entirely likely.   

:crazy:  :spaz:
I believe we are going with 8 RP.
Doo
Madson
Kintzler
Perez
Solis
Romero
Albers
and EJax

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #26: September 09, 2017, 04:24:17 PM »
This is a bummer because I think Kelly is a super likeable guy. Maybe he gets it figured out in time for next season.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #27: September 09, 2017, 04:25:24 PM »
:lmao:

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #28: September 09, 2017, 04:30:20 PM »
This is a bummer because I think Kelly is a super likeable guy. Maybe he gets it figured out in time for next season.
Have you met Spidernat?

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #29: September 09, 2017, 08:22:02 PM »
I believe we are going with 8 RP.
Doo
Madson
Kintzler
Perez
Solis
Romero
Albers
and EJax
Let me make a slight modification. Ejax is not on the post season roster

Offline Ray D

« Reply #30: September 09, 2017, 10:43:29 PM »
Let me make a slight modification. Ejax is not on the post season roster
The Edwin Jackson we saw tonight is who Edwin Jackson i. I really don't know why anyone thought otherwise.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31: September 09, 2017, 10:57:11 PM »
The Edwin Jackson we saw tonight is who Edwin Jackson i. I really don't know why anyone thought otherwise.

How many starts have you been holding this post in your back pocket?

Offline Leroy Veritas

« Reply #32: September 09, 2017, 11:14:17 PM »

We'll see. 9 starts, 54 innings, 3.29 ERA or 1 bad start, we'll see which was the real thing.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #33: September 09, 2017, 11:28:43 PM »
Cole looked good and so did Solis. 

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #34: September 10, 2017, 08:32:02 AM »
Cole looked good and so did Solis. 
I do not know why the Nats insist on keeping Cole as a starter when he can't get past the 5th inning. He really has good stuff and he should be in the pen where he can contribute.

I'm wondering if Rusty puts Kelley in a game that is meaningful for the remainder of the season. I cannot see him on the post season roster.

Offline Leroy Veritas

« Reply #35: September 10, 2017, 10:09:18 AM »
I do not know why the Nats insist on keeping Cole as a starter when he can't get past the 5th inning. He really has good stuff and he should be in the pen where he can contribute.

I'm wondering if Rusty puts Kelley in a game that is meaningful for the remainder of the season. I cannot see him on the post season roster.

There really aren't other options right now and Cole's ERA as a starter is just 4.01 this year. His last two starts were 6 IP/1 ER and 5.2 IP/1  ER. I feel like he and Ross (because Joe only has 2 pitches) are prime candidate for the bullpen, but we don't really have SP prospects that are better right now.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #36: September 10, 2017, 10:19:07 AM »
We'll see. 9 starts, 54 innings, 3.29 ERA or 1 bad start, we'll see which was the real thing.
One bad start?  He's had starts of 5 runs in 3.1 innings,  5 in 5.2, 4 in 5, and 7 in 5.  Those are five bad starts. 

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #39: September 10, 2017, 11:44:08 AM »
One bad start?  He's had starts of 5 runs in 3.1 innings,  5 in 5.2, 4 in 5, and 7 in 5.  Those are five bad starts. 
This except you omitted one start or was it four bad starts? This is the Jackson we know from 2012. A pitcher who is good as many games as he is bad. That is why the Sox ate his contract. He is servicable as a fill in # 5 starter and probably is giving us as much as we could have expected from Ross at this point in his career. The only plus for Ross is he has an upside. Jax is who he is. I would rather give Cole the spot as the 8th RP if the Nats go that way.

Offline Leroy Veritas

« Reply #40: September 10, 2017, 07:17:22 PM »

That's 4, even by your own obviously biased count. Pretty convenient that you say runs and ignore earned runs. Maybe, just maybe, the defense giving up 4 unearned runs in that "7 in 5" BS is something you should take into account if you're going to follow baseball. He had a 3.29 ERA with the Nats going into last night. I'll give you 3 bad starts in 10, and I'll take that from a 5th starter without hesitation.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #41: September 10, 2017, 07:24:03 PM »
That's 4, even by your own obviously biased count. Pretty convenient that you say runs and ignore earned runs. Maybe, just maybe, the defense giving up 4 unearned runs in that "7 in 5" BS is something you should take into account if you're going to follow baseball. He had a 3.29 ERA with the Nats going into last night. I'll give you 3 bad starts in 10, and I'll take that from a 5th starter without hesitation.

Don't go there, dood...its really bad form...

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #42: September 10, 2017, 09:22:36 PM »
Don't go there, dood...its really bad form...

Yeah, I disagree with Ray often on lots of stuff, but he's been following baseball longer than most of us have even been alive.  If you disagree with someone on a point say WHY.  Dispense with the rest.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #43: September 11, 2017, 08:12:48 AM »
that "7 in 5" BS is something you should take into account if you're going to follow baseball.

GO freak yourself.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #44: September 11, 2017, 09:09:49 AM »
GO freak yourself.

:spit:     That's the spirit.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #45: September 11, 2017, 09:20:41 AM »
Kelly's showing this past Friday was pretty grim.

Offline Optics

« Reply #46: September 11, 2017, 10:03:11 AM »
As Slatey would say, "zero chance" he makes the playoff roster.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #47: September 11, 2017, 11:16:55 AM »
As Slatey would say, "zero chance" he makes the playoff roster.
I'm not sure he pitches again in a meaningful game. The real question is what about next season as we are on the hook for it.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #48: September 11, 2017, 11:28:07 AM »
I'm not sure he pitches again in a meaningful game. The real question is what about next season as we are on the hook for it.

2016 Albers was a hot mess: a 6.31 ERA on mostly small ball, and frequently injured (I think he had 3 trips to the DL last year). Kelley will be given a chance to turn it around. Probably more chances than any of us are comfortable with. I wouldn't look for him to be sent packing before the All Star Break unless he decides to retire. He's only 33 so he's probably not going to retire unless there's some very bad medical news lurking.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #49: September 11, 2017, 11:58:26 AM »
2016 Albers was a hot mess: a 6.31 ERA on mostly small ball, and frequently injured (I think he had 3 trips to the DL last year). Kelley will be given a chance to turn it around. Probably more chances than any of us are comfortable with. I wouldn't look for him to be sent packing before the All Star Break unless he decides to retire. He's only 33 so he's probably not going to retire unless there's some very bad medical news lurking.

I really wasn't clear as I meant that he would not pitch in a meaningful game this season. And to the poster on here who said giving multi year contracts to RP ( not closers) was foolhardy I applaud you.