Author Topic: Should We The Fans Protest the Lerners?  (Read 3489 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: Should We The Fans Protest the Lerners?
« Reply #25: June 17, 2017, 03:46:56 PM »
At this point, four starters in the top 20 for innings pitched concerns me as much as anything

Offline More of #34

« Reply #26: June 17, 2017, 11:22:55 PM »
Hopefully the team will acquire a closer at the trade deadline.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #27: June 17, 2017, 11:52:59 PM »
At this point, four starters in the top 20 for innings pitched concerns me as much as anything

Ironically the average # of innings pitched by starters is usually a good indicator of success.  When the Nats were terrible, we usually were at or near the bottom in that category.  But of course if we're far above the average, that's a concern.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #28: June 18, 2017, 12:28:39 AM »

Max's average pitch count per game has only gone up by 1.5 or 2. Gio's has gone up by 6 but that could be because he's not getting yanked in the 5th any more. Tanner seems to be the one most struggling in those 4 but even his pitch count average is up by like 5.  Innings don't matter as much as pitches do, and they're not throwing tons more than last season.

Offline sph274

« Reply #29: June 18, 2017, 01:56:05 AM »
We have two starters with an OPS higher than 1.000, two more higher than .900, and Trea Turner is starting to heat up. This lineup is stacked. Our bench is coming together, Lind looks like a great pickup. Weiters is having a good season. We have some bullpen issues, yes. They are really frustrating after we dominate a game and blow it all in the end. But this is actually a really good team. If need be, Joe Ross can throw some innings out of the bullpen in the playoffs. Hopefully Fedde can come up and be a weapon. "Intelligent baseball fans" can recognize weaknesses and strengths in a roster. What playoff team doesn't have weaknesses? Look at the playoff teams today, are we afraid of the Brewers, Diamondbacks, and Rockies? If the Cubs surge into the playoffs, would you take their rotation or ours?

Offline Optics

« Reply #30: June 18, 2017, 09:57:59 AM »

But if they were amongst the bottom, we'd be worried that they aren't going deep enough into games.

I've never worried about starters pitching too many innings. Good pitchers consistently go into the 7th or later. And we'll be up by enough games in the 2nd half that we can give extra rest or outright skip starts if we need to.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #31: June 18, 2017, 10:12:14 AM »
But if they were amongst the bottom, we'd be worried that they aren't going deep enough into games.

I've never worried about starters pitching too many innings. Good pitchers consistently go into the 7th or later. And we'll be up by enough games in the 2nd half that we can give extra rest or outright skip starts if we need to.
^This.

I heard the Mets announcers droning on yesterday about this. Like we want them to get bombed early in games so we can limit their innings. I would like to see MLB do what NBA teams do and crap down guys for a couple starts here and there. Same for position players. But that's not happening now. So be it.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #32: June 18, 2017, 10:15:58 AM »
^This.

I heard the Mets announcers droning on yesterday about this. Like we want them to get bombed early in games so we can limit their innings. I would like to see MLB do what NBA teams do and crap down guys for a couple starts here and there. Same for position players. But that's not happening now. So be it.

Agreed, that's probably not happening.

:lol:

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #33: June 18, 2017, 10:35:45 AM »
Agreed, that's probably not happening.

:lol:
Oh man.  You got me.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #34: June 18, 2017, 10:39:06 AM »

I would like to see MLB do what NBA teams do and crap down guys

How do you do that?   Do you have to eat them first?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #35: June 18, 2017, 11:34:14 AM »
How do you do that?   Do you have to eat them first?

I wonder then, what do they do with the up guys? 

Offline Ray D

« Reply #36: June 18, 2017, 11:42:47 AM »
I wonder then, what do they do with the up guys? 
Ah. I assumed the hyphen to be before "down". But maybe not.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #37: June 18, 2017, 01:19:46 PM »
I would go back and fix the post but you all are having too much fun.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #38: June 18, 2017, 02:13:37 PM »
Do you actually understand baseball or do you just look at the standings?

You're the one suggesting we protest sports owners who have spent almost $200 million on their team.

Offline dshawg77

« Reply #39: June 18, 2017, 05:50:37 PM »
You're the one suggesting we protest sports owners who have spent almost $200 million on their team.

Blocking the GM after approving Jensen and MM contracts? Something doesn't add up.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #40: June 18, 2017, 05:54:07 PM »
The only way to effectively protest is to not go to the games or watch on TV. But we are all addicted and they know that. It's just like Ted and the Caps. The fans will all be back next year despite the continued playoff failures.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #41: June 19, 2017, 09:41:10 AM »
:lmao:

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #42: June 19, 2017, 10:41:03 AM »
10 games in first at 40-26 strikes me as an awkward time to be outraged. 

NOT GOOD ENOUGH! WE DEMAND PERFECTION!! LET'S GET TENS OF THOUSANDS INTO HALF STREET AND N STREET AND PROTEST THE LERNERS AND RIZZO!!!

[takes deep breath]

...sheesh...the NFL mentality round here is worse than ever...one disappointing homestand and one loss in a four-fixture away series and already people are panicking.

Offline dshawg77

« Reply #43: June 19, 2017, 02:08:45 PM »
NOT GOOD ENOUGH! WE DEMAND PERFECTION!! LET'S GET TENS OF THOUSANDS INTO HALF STREET AND N STREET AND PROTEST THE LERNERS AND RIZZO!!!

[takes deep breath]

...sheesh...the NFL mentality round here is worse than ever...one disappointing homestand and one loss in a four-fixture away series and already people are panicking.

I give up. Okay folks-nothing to worry about-see what happens playoff time if we don't have a proven closer....

I guess people don't appreciate in baseball, your window of opportunity is narrow. With Harper FA, the window is rapidly closing...

But hey-make your jokes.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #44: June 19, 2017, 02:11:41 PM »
totally agree, we should have done what it took to get Melancon that way our putrid bullpen would be anchored by a veteran blowing saves

Offline dshawg77

« Reply #45: June 19, 2017, 02:20:48 PM »
totally agree, we should have done what it took to get Melancon that way our putrid bullpen would be anchored by a veteran blowing saves

And the question really is this-why block Greg Holland (who may be the best closer in baseball this year-would have been quite the signing)? while still signing Matt Wieters and approving Jensen and Melancon deals?

That is a head scratcher. I know sometimes teams (Orioles come to mind) offer deals because they know they won't accept and want to appear they are trying..but we offered Jensen more I believe than LA..so that storyline makes no sense.

The whole thing is a dysfunctional mess.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46: June 19, 2017, 02:27:02 PM »
I give up. Okay folks-nothing to worry about-see what happens playoff time if we don't have a proven closer....

I guess people don't appreciate in baseball, your window of opportunity is narrow. With Harper FA, the window is rapidly closing...

But hey-make your jokes.

Do you actually believe that the bullpen won't change between now and the postseason, though?

Offline dshawg77

« Reply #47: June 19, 2017, 02:36:49 PM »
Do you actually believe that the bullpen won't change between now and the postseason, though?

I think that all these blown games and the fact it hasn't been addressed impacts the player's morale and psyche (I also think it could impact if Bryce resigns-but I am okay with him not signing honestly). I think it is a lot bigger deal than you think it is. People are pitching out of their roles, etc. So yes, I do expect them to correct it but I also think the damage has been done (many perhaps long term to players).

So just getting a closer now isn't the panacea, will we have an effective setup guy? 7th inning guy?

Just a mess.

Edit: I also believe if our division wasn't so weak and we didn't have a great manager in Dusty-then this team could have imploded very easily.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #48: June 19, 2017, 02:44:15 PM »

But hey-make your jokes.

NOBODY is saying that the Nats should not improve the bullpen.  Nobody.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #49: June 19, 2017, 02:48:04 PM »
what time can we form a picket line, folks?

"NO CLOSER, NO PEACE"