Author Topic: Should We The Fans Protest the Lerners?  (Read 3440 times)

Offline dshawg77

Should We The Fans Protest the Lerners?
« Topic Start: June 16, 2017, 06:10:53 PM »
Should Rizzo and Dusty both quit?

If reports are true and the Lerners blocked both Holland and Robertson (after big offers to big name closers?-however, sometimes big offers are a mirage if they know they will not win-bid enough to appear like you are trying).

Seriously-what do we do? This is the best team in baseball with Dusty and a shutdown closer.

Thoughts?

Offline awbb

Re: Should We The Fans Protest the Lerners?
« Reply #1: June 16, 2017, 06:38:55 PM »
I've been here with my soccer team in the last season. Feeling let down by top brass because we can all see a problem that they seem utterly unwilling to address, worse in this case as they actively appeared to stop their employees from carrying out the job they are paid to do.

Getting their attention requires mass participation, not online but in the stadium. I could be wrong but I suspect we are a fraction of a percent of Nats fans who post on here and I doubt all of us are united on this issue as well! I also can imagine, though happy to be wrong,  that a lot of  fans have virtually no interest in the rumours and machinations going on behind the scenes, they just turn up to watch baseball.

With these factors in mind I should be amazed that any sort of fan power could be brought to bear. But if it could, then hitting them in the pocket is the best way. Mass boycott of games or don't use concessions. Stop buying merch and actively avoid using products/services provided by sponsors.

Even then, depending how bloody minded the owners are (I suspect, very) it could make no difference.

As you suggest, The entire coaching staff and Rizzo and the scouting department quitting enmasse  would probably provide the quickest answer, but they won't be doing that and we have no influence over it.

But don't worry! We signed Edwin Jackson today!

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #2: June 16, 2017, 07:23:10 PM »
Even if you got people on board, and that's a long shot, it won't accomplish a freaking thing. :lmao:

Offline awbb

« Reply #3: June 16, 2017, 07:33:11 PM »
A précis of what I spent too long writing

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #4: June 16, 2017, 08:12:21 PM »

With these factors in mind I should be amazed that any sort of fan power could be brought to bear. But if it could, then hitting them in the pocket is the best way. Mass boycott of games or don't use concessions. Stop buying merch and actively avoid using products/services provided by sponsors.

10 games in first at 40-26 strikes me as an awkward time to be outraged. 

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #5: June 16, 2017, 08:13:04 PM »
Wait until October.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #6: June 16, 2017, 08:13:32 PM »
Wait until October.

That's a line that could go either way

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #7: June 16, 2017, 08:18:01 PM »
Wait until October.

It'll free up playoff tickets for the rest of us.

Offline dshawg77

« Reply #8: June 16, 2017, 09:34:00 PM »

Do you actually understand baseball or do you just look at the standings?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #9: June 16, 2017, 09:35:36 PM »

Do you believe those are the only two choices?

Offline Optics

« Reply #10: June 16, 2017, 10:25:55 PM »
Uhhhm...no. We're in first place and are going to be one of the favorites to win it all.

If you're gonna protest an owner in town, protest Snyder when the Redskins start 2-5 and refuse to resign Cousins to a long term deal.

Offline sph274

« Reply #11: June 17, 2017, 01:47:58 AM »
the jayson werth, max scherzer, stephen strasburg, and ryan zimerman contracts are all terrribbbbllee. why didn't we sign carl crawford, zach grienke, and chris davis? the lerners never spend money on quality players

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #12: June 17, 2017, 02:37:09 AM »
Do you actually understand baseball or do you just want something to complain about ?

Offline rileyn

« Reply #13: June 17, 2017, 07:03:15 AM »

If reports are true and the Lerners blocked both Holland and Robertson (after big offers to big name closers?-however, sometimes big offers are a mirage if they know they will not win-bid enough to appear like you are trying).

Seriously-what do we do? This is the best team in baseball with Dusty and a shutdown closer.

Thoughts?

No.  All things considered, we are in a good spot.  Sometimes you gamble and win, sometimes you gamble and lose.  Our starting pitcher last night was fun to watch.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #14: June 17, 2017, 08:15:07 AM »

Thoughts?

What do we do? We put down the pitchforks and enjoy this team, however far they take us, whoever's on it in October.

I don't think there's a single person out there who legitimately thinks this is the bullpen we will have in October.  Trades will happen. 29 teams didn't get Holland in the off-season. 27 teams did not get one of the three elite closers (I'm continuing Melancon in there) on last year's market. We have a very solvable problem and we're in a good position to fix it.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #15: June 17, 2017, 08:25:05 AM »

If you want people to give consideration to your posts, start by not being rude to respected moderators with 30,000 more posts than you on this board.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #16: June 17, 2017, 09:51:52 AM »
If you want people to give consideration to your posts, start by not being rude to respected moderators with 30,000 more posts than you on this board.

Hear Hear

:cheers:

Offline dshawg77

« Reply #17: June 17, 2017, 10:34:25 AM »
Uhhhm...no. We're in first place and are going to be one of the favorites to win it all.

If you're gonna protest an owner in town, protest Snyder when the Redskins start 2-5 and refuse to resign Cousins to a long term deal.

Ha, Dan Snyder is a lost cause and I am not a Skins fan (no hate, just not a fan).

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #18: June 17, 2017, 10:35:00 AM »
What a goofy idea.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #19: June 17, 2017, 10:54:32 AM »
What do we do? We put down the pitchforks and enjoy this team, however far they take us, whoever's on it in October.

I don't think there's a single person out there who legitimately thinks this is the bullpen we will have in October.  Trades will happen. 29 teams didn't get Holland in the off-season. 27 teams did not get one of the three elite closers (I'm continuing Melancon in there) on last year's market. We have a very solvable problem and we're in a good position to fix it.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #20: June 17, 2017, 11:53:06 AM »

That's the dumbest question and this is the dumbest thread ever.  And if you think I'm being rude I challenge you to find a single rude post from me that was not in response to a rude post.

Offline GuyFromCO

« Reply #21: June 17, 2017, 12:33:13 PM »
Do you actually understand baseball or do you just want something to complain about ?
:shock: :shock: :shock:

MG with a burn?!!

Offline mitlen

« Reply #22: June 17, 2017, 12:33:58 PM »
:shock: :shock: :shock:

MG with a burn?!!

But it (the burn) was in the form of a question.    :)

Offline dshawg77

« Reply #23: June 17, 2017, 01:43:12 PM »
That's the dumbest question and this is the dumbest thread ever.  And if you think I'm being rude I challenge you to find a single rude post from me that was not in response to a rude post.

What is rude is insulting fans intelligence by pointing at our record. We are in a weak division.

If playoffs started now, probably would lose in first round because of our bullpen.

That is what is rude, so don't make these comments about looking at the record. Most intelligent baseball fans know that isn't relevant if we are serious about a ring.

Online dracnal

« Reply #24: June 17, 2017, 03:44:49 PM »
We're 21-14 against non-divisional opponents. That doesn't really indicate a non-contending team to me. Don't get  me wrong - the bullpen is atrocious, but the starters have been solid, the everyday lineup is getting it done and the bench has been contributing, even with injuries putting our 4th and 5th outfielders into action on a regular basis.